Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 PM   #1

Graduation More Info

So we took our trip to Humboldt for grandsons graduation and 2nd trip with the 5er. Didn’t hit a tree this time at least. Handled the wind without a problem but it still bucked a lot. The Andersen hitch setup is not supposed to do that. So I set the ball on the Andersen Hitch higher and it seemed a little better. Question is do U set the 5er as level as U can when hooked up or should the nose of the trailer be a little higher than a level setting? I can set the ball one more time up. The dealer never covered anything with me just said hook it up and take it home. So I have been on my own on this. Getting some info from here and watching YouTube.. Any suggestions?
Papatrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papatrc View Post
So we took our trip to Humboldt for grandsons graduation and 2nd trip with the 5er. Didn’t hit a tree this time at least. Handled the wind without a problem but it still bucked a lot. The Andersen hitch setup is not supposed to do that. So I set the ball on the Andersen Hitch higher and it seemed a little better. Question is do U set the 5er as level as U can when hooked up or should the nose of the trailer be a little higher than a level setting? I can set the ball one more time up. The dealer never covered anything with me just said hook it up and take it home. So I have been on my own on this. Getting some info from here and watching YouTube.. Any suggestions?
What is the pin weight on the 5er? To little will make the "bounce" on the truck, to much sag or soft rear suspension in the TV could also make it buck. Check the torque on the head ot the Andersen hitch with the trailer sitting on it, I found when the trailer is loaded I would have to retoque to 60-65lb. We have one and found if I have to little air in me air bags we would get some bouncing.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #3

So the pin weight is about 1650. Andersen has been trying to help me but still have the issue. Shocks all 4 are new just installed in the last 30 days. No air bags. Torqued to 70 and checked after it has been hooked up. 2 locking bolts to 60. Replaced the prodigy brake controller also in the last 30 days. I am wondering if the pin box being a Reese Revolution and locked out from operation as it was designed might be the issue. Trailer is well under my limits on TV. I have no idea what to do next. As of now am regretting the purchase of the 5er.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
New to FR. Old to TT

Quote:
So the pin weight is about 1650. Andersen has been trying to help me but still have the issue. Shocks all 4 are new just installed in the last 30 days. No air bags. Torqued to 70 and checked after it has been hooked up. 2 locking bolts to 60. Replaced the prodigy brake controller also in the last 30 days. I am wondering if the pin box being a Reese Revolution and locked out from operation as it was designed might be the issue. Trailer is well under my limits on TV. I have no idea what to do next. As of now am regretting the purchase of the 5er.
What is the percentage of the 5ers total weight is that pin weight, should be 20-25 percent. Are you travelling with water in your FW tank? Where is the tank located, behind or infront of axles, if in front try adding water ti increase pin weight. Is that pin of 1650lb weighed or from the specs
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #5

So when you say it bucks too much, is that an up and down, or back and forth buck?
I always try to get within an inch of level, if I can't, I always opt for nose high. But only an inch, maybe two.
All fifth wheels 'buck' some, but it shouldn't be enough to regret buying a fiver. You usually get more bucking when too light in the front. We got an air ride hitch and that relieved practically all the 'bucking'.
Fifth wheels always pull better than a bumper pull. Period. If yours is not, continue adjusting and experimenting, as something is not right.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

Are you speaking of a “tugging” feeling at highway speeds?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall frog View Post
What is the percentage of the 5ers total weight is that pin weight, should be 20-25 percent. Are you travelling with water in your FW tank? Where is the tank located, behind or infront of axles, if in front try adding water ti increase pin weight. Is that pin of 1650lb weighed or from the specs

Total weight loaded according to Specs. Is 9930. I usually don’t carry water in tank until I get to destination. Pin weight according to Specs. is 1650. Fill for water tank is all the way in the back. We have the underside is totally covered not sure where tank is. Mid Kitchen island
and it is the same side as bathroom
Old 05-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So when you say it bucks too much, is that an up and down, or back and forth buck?
I always try to get within an inch of level, if I can't, I always opt for nose high. But only an inch, maybe two.
All fifth wheels 'buck' some, but it shouldn't be enough to regret buying a fiver. You usually get more bucking when too light in the front. We got an air ride hitch and that relieved practically all the 'bucking'.
Fifth wheels always pull better than a bumper pull. Period. If yours is not, continue adjusting and experimenting, as something is not right.

It seems to be mainly front to back. The Hitch pin is a Reese Revolution that has been locked out. Andersen Hitch thinks that it could be the pin box. That it might be flexing. I can’t tell if it is.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Are you speaking of a “tugging” feeling at highway speeds?

Yes. This is weird it seemed to do good on the trip to camping ground but it was windy. On the way it was horrible with the tugging or pulling . A 6 hour drive and I was wore out
Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #10

Quote:
It seems to be mainly front to back. The Hitch pin is a Reese Revolution that has been locked out. Andersen Hitch thinks that it could be the pin box. That it might be flexing. I can’t tell if it is.
I can guarantee you the locked out Revolution is not causing the chucking. That's just a B.S. SWAG based on the fact they don't want to deal with your problem, so they cast shade on a nonstandard hitch setup they don't understand.
In my experience, most chucking is caused by insufficient pin weight and/or bad setup (front too high).
I also had one unit that chucked very badly and the hitch weight appeared to be just right. I believe it was just a bad combo of distance between truck axle, hitch, and trailer axles. The only thing that helped it was an air ride hitch with a shock for front to rear movement, and an air bag for up and down.
I hope you find a good solution for your chucking. Sounds miserable.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I can guarantee you the locked out Revolution is not causing the chucking. That's just a B.S. SWAG based on the fact they don't want to deal with your problem, so they cast shade on a nonstandard hitch setup they don't understand.
In my experience, most chucking is caused by insufficient pin weight and/or bad setup (front too high).
I also had one unit that chucked very badly and the hitch weight appeared to be just right. I believe it was just a bad combo of distance between truck axle, hitch, and trailer axles. The only thing that helped it was an air ride hitch with a shock for front to rear movement, and an air bag for up and down.
I hope you find a good solution for your chucking. Sounds miserable.

Thanks for your help. I am taking it to dealership for all the ticky tack things wrong and will take the tech for a ride and tell them to figure it out. The roof membrane is getting done on the June 9th. What a nightmare with insurance co. They don’t understand RV’s at all.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	205329
Old 05-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I am taking it to dealership for all the ticky tack things wrong and will take the tech for a ride and tell them to figure it out. The roof membrane is getting done on the June 9th. What a nightmare with insurance co. They don’t understand RV’s at all.

Here is the setup
Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Handled the wind without a problem but it still bucked a lot. The Andersen hitch setup is not supposed to do that.
This is exactly why I only kept my Andersen for 4 months. Albeit, my fifth wheel is incredibly pin light (15%). But the movement that was sent to the truck hurt my wife (the jostling bothered her back).

I did not experience the same when I towed the same trailer + truck with my B&W. I only got rid of that because the new trailer was heavier than the B&W was rated for.

Instead, I went crazy and opted for a TrailerSaver TS3. But that's hugely overkill for most people. It's stupidly heavy and hella expensive.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This is exactly why I only kept my Andersen for 4 months. Albeit, my fifth wheel is incredibly pin light (15%). But the movement that was sent to the truck hurt my wife (the jostling bothered her back).

I did not experience the same when I towed the same trailer + truck with my B&W. I only got rid of that because the new trailer was heavier than the B&W was rated for.

Instead, I went crazy and opted for a TrailerSaver TS3. But that's hugely overkill for most people. It's stupidly heavy and hella expensive.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #16

5er roof

Well the trailer finally went into shop to get the roof membrane replaced. I hit the tree on first trip in a Ca. State campground..Let’s hope it doesn’t take very long.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #17

So the shop that is fixing the membrane ordered from Forest River the membrane at 108” wide by 35’ long and got the membrane and it was only 20” wide. What a joke. Taking F.R. another 2 weeks to get a new order done and delivered.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #18

I also have had the same issue with chucking I have a Demco autoslide hitch the 5er came with the Reese revolution pin box I changed it out with the MorRyde Orbital pin box I would love to tell you that solved the chucking but it only helped still have some chucking on really bad roads like in Pennsylvania if you ever figure out how to fix it please share
Mikeyt56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er, roo, roof