Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Hardwired Surge Protector Questions

I would like to have a hardwired surge protector. On the 25BHS the electrical panel is located underneath the refrigerator and I'm not sure there's room under there to add the 5" W x 9½" H x 3¼" D box.

Have any of you installed one of these yourselves? If so, how difficult was the install? Would there be room? I do have experience working on electrical things.

Thanks for any assistance.
2011 Toyota Tundra
wayfaringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #2

I have a different Flagstaff, but the electrical panel on mine is also located under the refrigerator. There was enough room to hardwire in my 30A EMS. The technical side of the install is quite simple and straightforward. If you can cut and strip wires as well as loosen/tighten screws it isn't hard. But, the area is a bit cramped and there is not that much extra room for your hands and arms when doing the install so be prepared to contort yourself into funny positions. Good luck.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringgirl View Post
I would like to have a hardwired surge protector. On the 25BHS the electrical panel is located underneath the refrigerator and I'm not sure there's room under there to add the 5" W x 9½" H x 3¼" D box.

Have any of you installed one of these yourselves? If so, how difficult was the install? Would there be room? I do have experience working on electrical things.

Thanks for any assistance.
hey gale,

I have the rockwood sister to your camper. I "installed" mine under the bunks. The power wire is inside the wall of the entertainment center. I also put in an electric fire place.

craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surge02.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	153293   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_fireplace.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	153294   Click image for larger version

Name:	surge01.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	153295  
Old 10-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #4

I know the electrical comes in inside the entertainment center, but how did you access the electrical wire?

Where did you get the fireplace, what is the make and model? It looks like it fits perfectly.
2011 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
I know the electrical comes in inside the entertainment center, but how did you access the electrical wire?

Where did you get the fireplace, what is the make and model? It looks like it fits perfectly.
just remove the panel you see when you open that door below the television. after removing the panel, I cut a hole to mount a receptacle box. disconnect the power wire from the outside connection, hook this wire to the new receptacle. I bought a piece of flexible wire the same gauge as the power wire and ran that from the outside connection to a plug. I bought a long enough piece that I can pull it out of the wall and bypass the the pms if necessary. (I can also pull the pms out to check power at a site prior to hooking up if I want to) If I change campers I can take the pms with me and just re-hook the power wire to the outside connection since I didn't cut it. I'll put a blank cover on the box and it will be just like it was when I bought it. The fireplace was a freestanding unit I bought on sale at camping world (I don't see it on their site but I did see it in the store recently). I just removed it from its enclosure. I had to make a little frame for the front of it, then painted it black. I drilled a hole on that shelf(right where that bit is setting) so the cord cord be plugged into that receptacle. also made some pull out shelves to make it easier to access things in the pantry.

Hope this helps.

craig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heater01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	153336   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater03.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	153337   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod_cabinet_drawer.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	288.5 KB
ID:	153338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	153339   Click image for larger version

Name:	surge01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	153340  

Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #6

Thanks for all the information. You included pictures of your pantry shelves - how did you make them sliding shelves? That's a great idea since they're so narrow and deep.
2011 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for all the information. You included pictures of your pantry shelves - how did you make them sliding shelves? That's a great idea since they're so narrow and deep.
The bottom was 1/2" plywood left over from some other project, then wrapped it with some molding that's a little taller so things don't fall off shelf with one slide on the bottom. You can see the back of the slide in on the middle shelf. You do loose a little storage because the drawer is a liitle narrower than the actual space in the cabinet because it needs to fit inside the stiles, but sill way worth it for access to things in the back. All things that are easily available at lowes/home depot/menards. Made a magazine rack out of scrap paneling. Also bought a stove from someone parting out a pop-up camper, already had quick disconnect to hook up to outside propane line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mod_magazinerack.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	153347   Click image for larger version

Name:	camp092615.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	153348