Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #1

Unhappy Have you tried to remove your Tires?

Just starting our second year with the 5th wheel and decided to get a pressure monitoring system. The sensors are mounted on the end of valve stems and they recommend you use metal valve stems because of the possible flexing. So, yesterday was my day to remove the tires, have the metal valve stems installed and then balanced. We have the forest river rims that require the use of a deep sock (which they provided) to access the lugs.

First I broke a wrench while attemping to loosen the first lug with the Forest River provided socket.

Than with a larger wrench, the side of the Forest River provided socket broke out on the fourth lug.

So, with a new industrial grade 1/2 inch drive deep socket and a 18 inch breaker bar, I was able to get the lugs off.

No way I could have ever done this on the road with the provided socket and the tools I had in the 5th wheel. And since I would tend to put on a spare myself rather than wait for someone to come to change the tire, I am glad I gave it a try here at home where I could get additional tools as needed.

LESSON LEARNED: If you have not done it and think you may need to change your own tires, make sure that you can get them broken free with the tools you have with you. A good idea would be to try to loosen them at least once before you leave. They tell you to check that the lugs are tight, but do not tell you that you may want to see if they are almost frozen in place. I have NEVER had lugs that were this hard to get loose.
segel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #2

Yes, in a parking lot in Bennettsville, SC in 90 degree weather. 4 of the 5 lug nuts on the blown tire came off without too much trouble, but as is always the case, one wouldn't. Had I not had the help of a big fellow that happened by, it may have taken much longer to get back on the road. I'll be letting my local tire dealer take all of them off on Monday and put new tires on.

You do bring up an interesting point that not many of us think about. We always make sure the lug nuts are tight before leaving on a trip, but most of us rarely, if ever, make sure we can loosen them. Doing that at home in the driveway makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the heads up on doing that before trips also. It might save potential headaches on the road.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #3

thanks
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
My trailer has tires??? Hmmm.

Good advice. My old trailer required me to torque the nuts to a certain number of ft. lbs. I carried a nice big torque wrench, the correct sockets, and a 4-way lug wrench.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff