Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

I highly recommend Texas state parks as well. I'm not really a bass fisherman, but I understand Lake Fork offers world class largemouth fishing. Lake Texoma offers great striper fishing- Eisenhower State Park offers full hookup sites. Purtis Creek State Park is supposed to be a great bass fishing lake as well. I think there are some state parks that have lakes that cool power plants and fish great all year. Here is a link to the park guide: Texas State Park Guide

Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #12

Wmosos settle down I didn't say that I hated Tx and in fairness it's one of my favorite states. I love the hill country and the state has a lot going for it. I hated the boarder. It is so much cheaper but the lifestyle I didn't care for. We felt as if we were living in a third world country. The R/X for me was the biggest issue. If you go call ahead to insure that you can get your meds. I take some strong pain meds and I will tell you now they will not fill them.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Team

When I read comments about crossing the "boarder", I assume "border" is meant... and as was stated above, you don't have to cross any international border to get from Georgia to Texas (yet)... at least you shouldn't. That's taking the long way around.

Regarding the murder by wife or cartel member: I read somewhere that at least one person has been murdered in Florida in the last 8 years, although I don't mind if all of y'all go to Florida instead of Texas. HA!

I live a long way from the Mexican border and wouldn't cross the border on a bad bet these days, but we're going to Corpus Christi this month and "I ain't skeert."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #14

Mr Dan no one said anything about crossing a boarder. If you are by the boarder and head south you will be forced to go through checkpoints. It's like crossing the boarder you may be searched delayed. It's not that I'm afraid to go to CC. If you go down into the valley you need it be careful. It's a shame really because it's a beautiful place. We were there in November and it was cold and damp the entire month. I have seen the TX and S FL and I'll take FL.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Mr Dan no one said anything about crossing a boarder. If you are by the boarder and head south you will be forced to go through checkpoints. It's like crossing the boarder you may be searched delayed. It's not that I'm afraid to go to CC. If you go down into the valley you need it be careful. It's a shame really because it's a beautiful place. We were there in November and it was cold and damp the entire month. I have seen the TX and S FL and I'll take FL.
I accept your correction. Wmoses, I know you'll want to see this.

I went through one of these checkpoints north of Terlingua and Study Butte and it took 4 minutes.

Over and out.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
you don't have to cross any international border to get from Georgia to Texas (yet)
I pray that happens soon, , but I also live in Texas & am home grown. I avoid the border like the plague, plenty of other lakes to go to here & also plenty in Oklahoma. Good luck
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I accept your correction. Wmoses, I know you'll want to see this.

I went through one of these checkpoints north of Terlingua and Study Butte and it took 4 minutes.

Over and out.
Dan - Thanks. My point about the border stands especially as far as the OP is concerned, and Phil57, you'd know if I needed to "settle down".

Bob said whe was coming from GA and he was looking for good places to camp and fish. I have come into Texas from north from more than one direction and there are no checkpoints involved. That was my point (Phil57).

Yes there are checkpoints in the south of Texas as you Dan have attested to, but it seems from your experience it is not hard / onerous. I DID pass through a couple of checkpoints in Arizona pulling my trailer but they did not stop me in either.

So the point about borders is moot. As for prescriptions that is par for the course. My son who moved from North Houston to South Houston had issues filling a prescription because of location and he had nothing with his new address at the time. So I am not surprised if there could be questions for out of towners.

That is all.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Was it the cartel or was it his wife? There was a show on TV that raised this issue - not drawing conclusions as such but informing that not everything she said added up.

Just to be safe, of course, one could skip this lake but I just wanted to note the doubts that linger with this story.
Okay you have me there. I hadn't followed up on that case or heard anything since. It's quite possible if her story didn't add up. However, if the story is even loosely close hell no would I go near that area. I tend to avoid the dangerous stuff these days. Not as limber and daring as I once was.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #19

As for people getting killed in Florida, I was a cop in the Miami area for 25 years and oh ya... about one a day. I was just mentioning that particular Lake and offering it up. After retiring I'm still a cop but in a place where death by natural causes is higher than that of the other.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #20

You can see just about every type of landscape if you travel through Texas long enough. From coasts, to deserts, and all the geography in between. We have pine trees, palm trees, cactus, cedar, and even tumble weeds.

With all there is to see and do here you do not have to go to the border towns to experience what the great state of Texas has to offer.

I will say this. My job takes me to McAllen 2 times a year. I feel A LOT safer in south Texas border towns than I do in south California or Arizona border towns. Shoot I feel safer in McAllen than I do in parts of Houston.

And yes, if you have a class II drug RX (narcotic)... Expect to be questioned by the pharmacist if you are traveling. As a matter of fact class II RX should only be 30 day supply with no refills. So, yes each time you have to see a doctor for a refill. Don't know if that's fedural or just a Texas standard of the pharmacology board. A good pharmacist should question a script from a non-local doctor no matter the class level. At least call the prescribing Dr. office and verify script with the staff.