Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #1

Heading south down TEXAS way, HELP

I have always hooked up and headed south through Florida. I want to try something different....I like Mexican food and beer so why not go that way.
Plus the Florida parks keep jacking their prices each year. I like bass fishing and read about Falcon Lake, half in Mexico and half in the US. Can anyone offer advice on parks to stay in?
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #2

Texas does have some of the best bass fishing in the US - check this out. We prefer state parks as our funds go towards conservation and is an excellent cause.

So you may want to pick your lake and then go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for more information on fishing and camping.

Good luck and welcome to Texas!
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #3

Come on down

There are plenty of parks that have openings. Weather has been cold and rainy but won't last long.
Mission, TX
2013-100..2014-180..2015-175..0
genecusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #4

If I'm correct didn't a couple go jet skiing on Falcon Lake and the husband ended up dead somewhere after being shot by the cartel? I'd scratch that off my bucket list. Lake Okeechobee has some awesome fishing and there are no cartels.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #5

Be aware that Texas is a PIA when getting R/X refilled. I was told that I would have to see a Texas doc and have him rewrite my R/X. Also the boarder is like living in a third world country. Don't get me wrong I lived in Tx for 8 years but in Austin. I would go back in the spring or fall but I will never go to the boarder again. I don't like going through checkpoints and asked for my papers. Don't get me started on the drug dogs. We left and went to FL. Warmer and cleaner.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #6

I haven't fished Falcon but I hit Amistead periodically. I stay out of Mexican waters. I have friends that love chasing the Falcon lunkers. Are you dragging a boat , banking it or getting a guide? Do your research. I don't go to Mexico anymore, I wouldn't advise it in any way shape or form.

I go through Border Patrol check points all the time with out issue or being asked anything other than citizenship and destination. I have no idea on RX concerns.

Time your trip with a lunar table and tear them up. I am a salt water nut. I hit Port A and Port Oconner regularly.

What time of year you looking at? If you're anywhere near we can wet a line a drink a cold one.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 AM   #7

I live in the dallas area and love Texas! We have been to the boarder many times and never have a issue. Sure I've been through checkpoints in Deep South Texas but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Don't listen Phil57 lol.

Check out the state parks. Some very nice areas. Big bend area is my personal favorite. Fort davis, Alpine area. Time stands still out there. Texas hill country around San Antonio has some great areas too. Welcome!
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:56 AM   #8

Texas costs about 1/3 of what it costs in Fla per month....if you shop at HEB....CG last year was 250 a month plus elec.....had pool hot tub rally room and game fire area...

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #9

I have no clue what Phil57 is referring to regarding crossing borders. What borders? OP is coming from Georgia to Texas. There is no international border and no check point. Just drive on through. Maybe I am missing something. Either that or this thread has gone off topic.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
If I'm correct didn't a couple go jet skiing on Falcon Lake and the husband ended up dead somewhere after being shot by the cartel? I'd scratch that off my bucket list. Lake Okeechobee has some awesome fishing and there are no cartels.
Was it the cartel or was it his wife? There was a show on TV that raised this issue - not drawing conclusions as such but informing that not everything she said added up.

Just to be safe, of course, one could skip this lake but I just wanted to note the doubts that linger with this story.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

I highly recommend Texas state parks as well. I'm not really a bass fisherman, but I understand Lake Fork offers world class largemouth fishing. Lake Texoma offers great striper fishing- Eisenhower State Park offers full hookup sites. Purtis Creek State Park is supposed to be a great bass fishing lake as well. I think there are some state parks that have lakes that cool power plants and fish great all year. Here is a link to the park guide: Texas State Park Guide
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #12

Wmosos settle down I didn't say that I hated Tx and in fairness it's one of my favorite states. I love the hill country and the state has a lot going for it. I hated the boarder. It is so much cheaper but the lifestyle I didn't care for. We felt as if we were living in a third world country. The R/X for me was the biggest issue. If you go call ahead to insure that you can get your meds. I take some strong pain meds and I will tell you now they will not fill them.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Team

When I read comments about crossing the "boarder", I assume "border" is meant... and as was stated above, you don't have to cross any international border to get from Georgia to Texas (yet)... at least you shouldn't. That's taking the long way around.

Regarding the murder by wife or cartel member: I read somewhere that at least one person has been murdered in Florida in the last 8 years, although I don't mind if all of y'all go to Florida instead of Texas. HA!

I live a long way from the Mexican border and wouldn't cross the border on a bad bet these days, but we're going to Corpus Christi this month and "I ain't skeert."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #14

Mr Dan no one said anything about crossing a boarder. If you are by the boarder and head south you will be forced to go through checkpoints. It's like crossing the boarder you may be searched delayed. It's not that I'm afraid to go to CC. If you go down into the valley you need it be careful. It's a shame really because it's a beautiful place. We were there in November and it was cold and damp the entire month. I have seen the TX and S FL and I'll take FL.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Mr Dan no one said anything about crossing a boarder. If you are by the boarder and head south you will be forced to go through checkpoints. It's like crossing the boarder you may be searched delayed. It's not that I'm afraid to go to CC. If you go down into the valley you need it be careful. It's a shame really because it's a beautiful place. We were there in November and it was cold and damp the entire month. I have seen the TX and S FL and I'll take FL.
I accept your correction. Wmoses, I know you'll want to see this.

I went through one of these checkpoints north of Terlingua and Study Butte and it took 4 minutes.

Over and out.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
you don't have to cross any international border to get from Georgia to Texas (yet)
I pray that happens soon, , but I also live in Texas & am home grown. I avoid the border like the plague, plenty of other lakes to go to here & also plenty in Oklahoma. Good luck
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I accept your correction. Wmoses, I know you'll want to see this.

I went through one of these checkpoints north of Terlingua and Study Butte and it took 4 minutes.

Over and out.
Dan - Thanks. My point about the border stands especially as far as the OP is concerned, and Phil57, you'd know if I needed to "settle down".

Bob said whe was coming from GA and he was looking for good places to camp and fish. I have come into Texas from north from more than one direction and there are no checkpoints involved. That was my point (Phil57).

Yes there are checkpoints in the south of Texas as you Dan have attested to, but it seems from your experience it is not hard / onerous. I DID pass through a couple of checkpoints in Arizona pulling my trailer but they did not stop me in either.

So the point about borders is moot. As for prescriptions that is par for the course. My son who moved from North Houston to South Houston had issues filling a prescription because of location and he had nothing with his new address at the time. So I am not surprised if there could be questions for out of towners.

That is all.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Was it the cartel or was it his wife? There was a show on TV that raised this issue - not drawing conclusions as such but informing that not everything she said added up.

Just to be safe, of course, one could skip this lake but I just wanted to note the doubts that linger with this story.
Okay you have me there. I hadn't followed up on that case or heard anything since. It's quite possible if her story didn't add up. However, if the story is even loosely close hell no would I go near that area. I tend to avoid the dangerous stuff these days. Not as limber and daring as I once was.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #19

As for people getting killed in Florida, I was a cop in the Miami area for 25 years and oh ya... about one a day. I was just mentioning that particular Lake and offering it up. After retiring I'm still a cop but in a place where death by natural causes is higher than that of the other.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #20

You can see just about every type of landscape if you travel through Texas long enough. From coasts, to deserts, and all the geography in between. We have pine trees, palm trees, cactus, cedar, and even tumble weeds.

With all there is to see and do here you do not have to go to the border towns to experience what the great state of Texas has to offer.

I will say this. My job takes me to McAllen 2 times a year. I feel A LOT safer in south Texas border towns than I do in south California or Arizona border towns. Shoot I feel safer in McAllen than I do in parts of Houston.

And yes, if you have a class II drug RX (narcotic)... Expect to be questioned by the pharmacist if you are traveling. As a matter of fact class II RX should only be 30 day supply with no refills. So, yes each time you have to see a doctor for a refill. Don't know if that's fedural or just a Texas standard of the pharmacology board. A good pharmacist should question a script from a non-local doctor no matter the class level. At least call the prescribing Dr. office and verify script with the staff.