Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #1

I posted this in the welcome section but was advised to post here. So here goes, my husband and I just sold our Wildwood Travel Trailer. Had problems with dampness which lead to mould. We contacted our dealer and they wouldn't do anything with regards to warranty work. Now we are apprehensive about purchasing another. We have decided that we would prefer a fifth wheel. We've been looking at a Flagstaff 8528 TBWS. However, there is no dealer in our province. It would have to be shipped in and without viewing. We haven't heard alot about these trailers and would appreciate any feedback.

holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
There doesn't seem to be many Flagstaff fifth wheel owners here.
We love ours, and I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.
I take it you have kids, as the TBWS is a bunk model?

crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #3

Funny. I just saw a post of yours under Palomino and was going to send you a message. Anyway, just wondering if you've had any problems with yours? There is no dealer here so we are dealing out of province. With that being said, we would purchase without actually seeing it. We are trying to decide between the Flagstaff 8528 TBWS and the Sabre BHOK. The Flagstaff is winning because of weight and price. The selling features for us are the bunks and outdoor kitchen. And yes we have 3 children! So any feedback, positive or negative would be appreciated. My biggest concern is mould and dampness which is what we encountered with our travel trailer although maintenanced, winterized and stored properly.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
The Sabre is a very nice camper as well, and we might have bought one except we had to stay under 10,000 gvwr because of drivers licencing restrictions. Thus, the Flagstaff.
From what I recall, the walls of the Flagstaff are a bit thinner, one inch vs 1.5 for the Sabre (from memory), and the roof construction is different, both weight reducing items. But I walk on our roof all the time and it seems very solid, so not an issue.
The fit and finish of the Flagstaff is very good, and we really like the interior with the Cherry cabinets. It does show very well.
We haven't used it very much yet, but from what I see so far, I don't anticipate any problems.
As far as mold and dampness, that may just be a function of where you live, and not any particular camper. Apparently, there are prodcuts that you could put in the camper for storage that would suck the moiture out of the air, and that might solve that problem.
Any further questions, please feel free to send me a personal message, as I might miss them on the forums. Good hunting!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
We will be taking delivery of our Flagstaff 8528CKWS next week. We purchased at the Halifax RV show in January and was very impressed with the fit and finish of the Flagstaff. There are better 'quality' campers out there, but with quality comes weight. i would place the Flagstaff/Rockwood in the mid range level. BTW, both Flagstaff and Rockwood are the exact same units, just some different colour and graphic designs differences. The Forest River websites states that Islander RV is a dealer for Flagstaff Fifth wheels but on a recent visit to St. John's, i didn't see any there. What part of NL are you from. Originally from St. Anthony here but now living in NS.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper
The Rockwood 8286WS is the same trailer just different trim, so maybe you have a Rockwood dealer around.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
There are several different trailers with the same floorplan, just vary in quality, weight and price. We want to stay as light as possible. We also prefer the interior of the Flagstaff to the Rockwood. Living in NL has alot to do with the problems we encountered with dampness and mould, although we did all that was recommended and then some. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
I was a bit concerned of how well mine was constructed due to the light weight but we have had it a year now and have found it to be very well built and have had no structural problems. Last summer we rode out a wicked thunderstorm with torrential rain blowing at the slide with 60 mph winds with no water entry. This winter it sat in storage where we had no access to it and and I was concerned about what we would find - we had record snowfall, freezing rain and a blizzard. a lot of snow sat on the roof but I found no evidence of stress or water entry.
To prevent things from getting stale in the warmer months I just leave the roof hatches open. Maxx Air covers will prevent rain from coming in.
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
So what did you buy ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #10
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Happy with the Rockwood------

My wife and I are happy with our Rockwood 8285WS. I am not new to RVing, have been at it for 18 years. My opinion is the Rockwood product is hard to beat for the $$$$$. All RVs have bugs to some extent. Most are small and are easy to correct yourself.

The Forest River Company warranty department bends over backwards to make the customer happy. (They have in my case). We purchased ours 1/27/2011 and are very happy with it. The one change I would like to see is the option of tires that the factory installs. I replaced mine after only 2800 miles (my decision). I went with a "D" grade tire for a safer tire.

Make sure you get the upgrade of the A/C (is a option), also the bump out
awnings. We selected the cherry finish for our fifth wheel, very nice done.

As posted early, the Flagstaff and the Rockwood are the same coach with different upholstery design and colors.

Good luck on your decision, I do not think you will be disappointed with a Forest River Product.

If you do decide to become a Forest River Product owner, you will be joining one of the best, elite group of owners and a forum to be proud of to be part of.

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote