Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
I do not understand why you would not consider a diesel. All the diesel pickups these days are great values, and you will get twice the miles per gallon compared to a gas engine.
Not necessarily. I didn't want a diesel with my GMC 2500. It's my daily driver and I'm 5 kilometres (3 miles) to work. If I tow 7 times a year......I'll never - ever recoup the capital cost of the diesel ~ $10k.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
They are not great values like they used to be and the value end of the equation is getting harder and harder to justify even for people who fit into the small niche of doing big loads and lots of miles a year. Fleet operators are switching to gas because the value isn't there like it used to be...
Ding, ding, this ! When I looked into 3/4 tons a while ago I noticed that city, county, forest service and Centurylink all use gas 2500s. I suspect RAM saw the writing on the wall with the EPA making diesels more complex and expensive to repair when they introduced the 6.4 as a more torquey alternative to the 5.7 Hemi. Nevermind the EPA requirement to disable the truck after 200 miles if it detects DEF problems makes it a non-starter if you go to remote areas.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
More POPCORN please!!!
I vote for chicken wings
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #24

I am going to be purchasing a 3/4T truck in the next few years.Initially, I thought it would be diesel but now have switched my mind and it's definitely going to be gas.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Not necessarily. I didn't want a diesel with my GMC 2500. It's my daily driver and I'm 5 kilometres (3 miles) to work. If I tow 7 times a year......I'll never - ever recoup the capital cost of the diesel ~ $10k.
Actually, in 5 years the average resale of the diesel over the gas is 10K more. You just get to enjoy a better pulling truck for those 5 years.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
Ding, ding, this ! When I looked into 3/4 tons a while ago I noticed that city, county, forest service and Centurylink all use gas 2500s. I suspect RAM saw the writing on the wall with the EPA making diesels more complex and expensive to repair when they introduced the 6.4 as a more torquey alternative to the 5.7 Hemi. Nevermind the EPA requirement to disable the truck after 200 miles if it detects DEF problems makes it a non-starter if you go to remote areas.
Government purchases the cheapest functional vehicle to fit the mission requirements. The gas is always going to be the cheapest initial purchase. I know, I'm the guy that buys them.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
Actually, in 5 years the average resale of the diesel over the gas is 10K more. You just get to enjoy a better pulling truck for those 5 years.
X2...........That's my thinking. When you go to trade or sell your gas 3/4 or 1 ton after 5-10 year's and find out how much it depreciated
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
X2...........That's my thinking. When you go to trade or sell your gas 3/4 or 1 ton after 5-10 year's and find out how much it depreciated
Partially agree. However, if it's kept beyond 5 years, there's no more warranty and diesel repairs can be expense as others have noted.

In my case, a diesel would never even get to operating temperature when I arrived at work. I put on 12,000 kilometers (7,000 miles) per year. It doesn't make any sense to invest in diesel for my needs.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #29

Quote:
But you also paid 8-10k more for the truck, had higher payments (unless paid cash) plus enjoyed higher maintenance costs and if you had one of those "contaminated DEF - not covered under warranty" repairs you're not really ahead.
Don't get me wrong, I like a hard pulling diesel as much as the next guy but weighing pros and cons they are not attractive to me.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #30

Quote:
I would hope so since it started out 10,000 more.
Like I said earlier...there's a reason folks aren't keeping their diesel for life anymore, I guess you figured that out too...and man, you are surely coming out smelling like a rose swapping that diesel every 5 years.
Quote:
Government purchases the cheapest functional vehicle to fit the mission requirements. The gas is always going to be the cheapest initial purchase. I know, I'm the guy that buys them.
The local businesses are switching to gas here and the one that got my cities multimillion dollar work switched everything to gas. The company doing the work before him just bought new diesels from Ford and is laying folks off.

What is it with some of you diesel guys? You come to a gas topic where the OP ruled out diesel because it is a waste for him and swing your big 'D'iesel around...go play on some diesel topic and measure 'em up.

I like trucks and reading about them...How many diesel topics on here do you have gas owners plugging up the topic with BS? If any of you big 'D'iesel keyboard warriors think there is any value over want for the OP in his decision you should check your reading comprehension skills or do some research while taking some math classes.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
But you also paid 8-10k more for the truck, had higher payments (unless paid cash) plus enjoyed higher maintenance costs and if you had one of those "contaminated DEF - not covered under warranty" repairs you're not really ahead.
Don't get me wrong, I like a hard pulling diesel as much as the next guy but weighing pros and cons they are not attractive to me.
Only had this diesel 1 1/2 years. I guess the extra 4 quarts and a box of DEF could be considered "higher" maintenance costs, but we're talking $30 in a year and a half. My fuel savings have paid that $30 and then some.

With all these "potential" diesel problems, it should be noted that my 2015 2500 6.0 crapped a rear main seal at 500 miles.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I would hope so since it started out 10,000 more.
Like I said earlier...there's a reason folks aren't keeping their diesel for life anymore, I guess you figured that out too...and man, you are surely coming out smelling like a rose swapping that diesel every 5 years.

The local businesses are switching to gas here and the one that got my cities multimillion dollar work switched everything to gas. The company doing the work before him just bought new diesels from Ford and is laying folks off.

What is it with some of you diesel guys? You come to a gas topic where the OP ruled out diesel because it is a waste for him and swing your big 'D'iesel around...go play on some diesel topic and measure 'em up.

I like trucks and reading about them...How many diesel topics on here do you have gas owners plugging up the topic with BS? If any of you big 'D'iesel keyboard warriors think there is any value over want for the OP in his decision you should check your reading comprehension skills or do some research while taking some math classes.
Guess I should've included a trigger warning. Sorry.