Old 08-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Dr Travel

Most folks buying a new unit will indeed have to work out the kinks, so to speak. The trick is to get to them before long-term damage is done.

I, for one, bought new - Rockwood 8280WS (ultralight fifth wheel.) Love the unit. Been full-timing in it since picking it up new two years ago. Warranty issues/repairs? I put an adhesive strip across the joint of the roof and the end cap, as the caulking had shrunk and was gonna leak. Total cost: $50. And I still have 40+ feet for anything else similar that might occur. Oh, did the same "repair" to the caulking around a vent. Just the nature of the materials used on RVs for sealing.

Two items replaced by the good warranty folks at Rockwood. One, the side window on our living room slide out broke into a million pieces one afternoon when closing up for the night. We didn't slam it, it just hit the bottom and kablooey! Rockwood FedExed me a new window to a dealer 90 minutes away that we were going to pass by on our way north. I booked the appointment, arrived 15 minutes early, and in 90 minutes we were back on the road with a new window.

Fix #2 is a pet peeve. We have day/night shades. You slide them up and down every day, on STRING. They are guaranteed to wear out and those strings give out. Then you can buy a repair kit and try to fix them yourselves (we couldn't as the end caps had been glued on!) or you can replace them. I called Rockwood and they told me those shades were still under warranty. So, I sent them photos of the failed strings and the damaged shades, and they shipped me three new replacements. Oh, I originally called the shade manufacturer who said if I sent them a shade and they could not fix it for me, they would send me a new one at no charge. And they did - I got a new one ten days later.

And that's it. Two years, over 10 miles on the fiver, and we live in it 24-7. In my book, you can't beat that with an ugly stick. I bought from a good dealer who prepped it well. Took it for a three day trial run, and told the dealer I would bring it back for repairs. They said fine.

I called them after the three days and reported "no problems, no repairs needed." They were not surprised in the least.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #12

Soft spots, IMO, means leaks. Unscrew a few screws of the plastic moldings that hold up the roof vents and a/c unit. If the screws are rusty, you have a major water leak problem. Water leaks also mean black mold that you may not see but can be a health hazard. DO NOT BUY any RV that has had leak issues. There are plenty of RVs out there that are in decent condition, without leaks, and at a reasonable price. If you are set on this RV, have the dealer put in writing that this RV never had any leaks and that he will refund or repair, at his cost, any issues that arise from these soft spots.

2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
If you are set on this RV, have the dealer put in writing that this RV never had any leaks and that he will refund or repair, at his cost, any issues that arise from these soft spots.
Good luck with that ...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Good luck with that ...
I know, I know, but it would be interesting to see what the dealer says or how he tries to worm out of it. This will at least give an indication of what kind of dealer he is.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #15

Don't buy it! New caulk and soft spots are huge red flags, as are rusted screw heads. Keep looking! While the "perfect" coach may not exist, a really, really good one does. Don't rush the buying process; keep looking, have faith and you will find the "perfect" coach for you, that has not had any leaks and does not have any soft spots or rusted screws. Water damage and/or black mold are the kiss of death for a camper.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 AM   #16

Perfect is always in the eye of the beholder. If major problems are visible and you ask the questions then I suspect also know the answers and made a good choice of walking away. Often 8-10 year old rv's or any other product with large visible problems symptomatic of neglect that any dealer does not correct prior to sale means it is past the point of no-return. There are many used rv's for sale in private and dealer sales, continue to look and find the one closest to perfect without major problems and if with a dealer have problems fixed before sale