Old 08-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Help with potential purchase.

I look at a 2008 Flagstaff 831rlss. It was in very good shape. Freah caulk everywhere, and seamed very well taken care of for the age. However, I notice 3 issues...
1) gutter seam in the right front corner was out for about 4 feet. Looked like an easy fix.?
2) soft spot in roof (mild) behind rear vent. Looked to be caused by caulk issue around the vent. Seemed to be an easy fix. Roof was still plenty strong?
3) Soft spot in floor of bathroom. No viaable leak... looked like an old issue years ago?

The interior of the trailer was spotless. Checked wall seams inside of all cabinets, around slide, and all exterior wall joints. No signs or other issues could be found.

How serious are the issues I mentioned once fixed? Should I pass on the trailer because of them?

Are there any other issue with this year trailer that I should be aware of?

Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

It is always difficult to judge with certainty what is normal and what is fresh maintenance done too late. You will have to be prepared to repair spots, and damage to wood is usually one of those things that progresses into a bigger than expected project. Unless you have done it before I would suggest you have repairman inspect it prior to purchase to see if repairs are worthwhile project. Roof repair solutions can be elusive. Be prepared to walk away

Old 08-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Soft wood is always a warning sign no matter how great everything else looks.

Fresh caulk and a soft spot is another sign that the camper has waited for routine roof maintenance way too long.

I would keep looking unless the unit is free; even then, free may be too expensive unless you are looking for a hunting cabin and not a camper.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #4

I agree---Run Forest RUN!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #5

"Fresh caulk everywhere" and "soft spots" are not words I would want to be saying about a camper I was considering to purchase. Never. Ever. Like stated previously, if it's free, or close to free, I might take a stab at it, but I'd never pay what the seller is most likely telling you (just my guess) is fair-market-value (or NADA value). If it were me, any sign of water damage to a camper would be immediate cause to pass, and pay a little more to find something else.
What would cause me greater concern about this unit is that you apparently have spoken to the person who is selling it and they've not offered an explanation (that you have mentioned) on these issues.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

I really appreciate the responses, but I am hoing to play a bit of Devils advocate here.

To answer a few questions first. The unit is on a dealer lot, not purchasing from an individual. The listed price is well below NADA retail. Retail is 15000 selling for 9000.

Now for the Devil's Advocate:
When reading threads about new trailers the theme of the conversation is the following: You will never buy a perfect a unit, expect leaks, expect repairs, and it will take 3 or 4 years before you iron out all the kinks...

When buying used: You must find a perfect unit that has never had any leaks, must show signs of being well maintained (but not recently serviced), and be slightly more expensive.

I say all this in good fun. For the record I walked away from the other rv based on your advance. However, where does one find a perfect used rv? Are they even out there? If you can't buy a new rv without leaks and problem.... then why should expect a used rv to be perfect?

I felt that with the age... the issues with the flagstaff were reasonable and expected. I even felt minor based on what I hear new rv owners dealing with?

Where is my logic wrong?
Old 08-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #7

My thought is that your logic is flawed because on a new unit with leaks, a prudent owner will get the leak fixed before permanent damage takes place. On a used unit with soft spots, it would lead me to believe the problem was not found/fixed in a timely manner.
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I tried to sell my "perfect" RV for a year looking to upgrade to a motorhome.

Everyone who saw it loved it.
They just wanted to steal it for less than NADA and not pay the premium that it is worth.

In the end, we just decided to keep it a few more years, and when we are ready to sell it, strip it of all the upgrades (like the 600 dollar Denver mattress, Battery computer, inverter, Autotransformer, and the 800 dollar Smart TV with 2 Terabyte hard drive of movies) that made it worth the premium and either move them to the motorhome or eBay them.

That way we will still not get what it is worth, but it will be closer.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

I was under the impression when your dealing with luan laminate like the flagstaff any water would immediately create a soft spot?
Old 08-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
My thought is that your logic is flawed because on a new unit with leaks, a prudent owner will get the leak fixed before permanent damage takes place. On a used unit with soft spots, it would lead me to believe the problem was not found/fixed in a timely manner.
X2

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote