Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #1

HH-3500 Tongue Jack failure

While preparing for our first RV trip of the season with our Flagstaff 832IKBS, our power tongue Jack quit working. I took it apart and was surprised to find it full of water. I dried it out, hooked it back up....it worked about three times then jammed. Taking it apart a second time, I found a small metal shroud inside the motor had broken and was jamming get rotor. I removed The broken piece and put it back together. Works fine for now, will see how it holds up. I plan to cover the jack in the future; if anyone else has figured out a way to stop leaks on their jack, please let me know. Picture has the broken pieces I removed from the motor, placed on top of the jack for size reference. I believe the water in the motor caused the parts to rust, break, and ultimately jam the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	78029  
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

I have heard people put a 5 gallon bucket or something similar over the top.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #3

There should be an o ring underneath tne round cover. Many have noticed it missing, causing the water to get inside.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #4

HH-3500 Tongue Jackfailure

Rick, JimandChris, thanks for the quick reply. I had some O rings so put one on the cap and it now seals. I'll keep an eye on it and may go the 5 gallon bucket route when I store it.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #5

Mine did the same thing JUST before the first year was up..it was also full of water. The company has fixed this with a different cover so water can't leak in. So I got one on warranty exchange. BUT better safe than sorry..I went to Walmart. They have a white/opaque dry bag for about $7 that I put over mine and close the latch around the shaft. I can operate the jack without taking the bag off.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

full of water

Same story hear, went out to get things ready for first outing and the Jack was frozen, could not even hand crank it. Took it off and laid it down and all the water came pouring out! Ordered a new one with higher weight capacity. Glad it was found before trying to hitch up and move out. Skeetzee, was going to make a bag for over top but if I can get one for $7 at wally world that would be the easiest - thanks.
CamperCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
V-Nose Newbie

LeslieGary,

Be a little careful. Those metal bits that you are showing in the photo look an awful lot like motor laminations. Can't say for sure if that's what they are, but if that's what those are your jack could go up in smoke.

Dave, Sue and Peanut the wonder dog
davidl1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #8

I made a cover for ours using leftover "grill cover" material. Drawstring around the bottom, so it's cinched under the unit and won't slide/ride up during travel. Store it and travel with it on to keep water & debris out. We had one fail due to water a few years ago - no problems now!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

Yes, I went to Dollar Tree bought a bucket. I hold it down with bungee cord while in storage. Texas sun is pretty bad. I use my bag when we travel. Question: What department did you find the $7 bag at Wal-Mart?
alimen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #10

I use this.

Ultra-Fab Products 38-944020 Tongue Jack Cover
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

Skeet zone, campercar, hotzfamily, alimen: thanks for the responses--all of these make a lot of sense. I will go ahead and buy the cover that strat56 mentioned even though I got a good seal with the o ring. I do think it is smart to keep the jack covered regardless of the method.

Davidl1957, the broken pieces I took out of the motor were between the magnets and appeared to be a guide for the three inch long screws that hold the caps on the motor. Very thin metal with a u shape to channel the screw. Should I be concerned? The motor works fine now.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
3500, 500