Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

How to proceed with water damage??

Hello All,

I feel that I have always done a good job keeping up with my roof. I clean it with roof cleaner multiple times per year and I check the seams. I have found some cracks over the years and used lap sealant. This year I used eterna bond over all seams so I dont have to worry as much about it. All of that said it seems like water must have gotten in over time because there are brown marks in the bathroom around the seams in the roof and screws in the vent. The floor in the bathroom also feels like the laminate has come off of the actual floor. Sort of bubbling a bit, and the floor itself in the bathroom is soft and crunches in one spot if you step there. I also have these bumps that have appeared in the back bedroom under the wall paper. They are just pushing out and I think it is moisture that has expanded the wood??? Looks kind of like the wall paper has pimples :-) I have a seasonal site and I have talked to other folks who have made insurance claims for water issues like this. I honestly dont know where the leak is or if it is still even there but I want this stuff fixed. How do I proceed? Do I just call insurance? or do I need to take it to the dealer first to confirm the issue and then call insurance?? It is a 2006 831BHSS by the way. Thanks in advance for your help!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

<sigh> That is water damage all right. Sounds extensive too.

I would be real careful about calling insurance right away.
They may total the camper and pay you out.
You might not get very much for a 2006.

You need to understand that water seeks its own level. It will run down cracks and seams; then puddle far from where the leak is. The damage in front may be from a leak (or blockage) at the air conditioner (for example).

Start at the top and work down looking for varying degrees of damage to try and locate the source. The wood will be black and spongy at site of the oldest damage. Calling your dealer for an inspection will also be very expensive because at 150 an hour just the estimate could run you a several hundred dollars. At this point you pretty much have nothing to lose by taking it apart yourself to see what you have to work with.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Lou. I appreciate the feedback. I am still paying on the trailer but I have it insured for more then what I owe. If insurance was to total it, they have to total it for what it is insured for correct? I have never done that extensive of work on an RV before so that would make me nervous. I'll consider it though and read up on digging into it. Thanks again!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
Thanks for the reply Lou. I appreciate the feedback. I am still paying on the trailer but I have it insured for more then what I owe. If insurance was to total it, they have to total it for what it is insured for correct? I have never done that extensive of work on an RV before so that would make me nervous. I'll consider it though and read up on digging into it. Thanks again!
No, They will pay for the appraised value at the time of loss.
You would need "Gap Insurance" to cover the difference if you owe more than the camper is worth at the time of loss.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

The moisture damage can also come from simply living in the camper. If you shower and cook a lot in the camper and do not ventilate it well on a regular basis, moisture can build up in the ceiling, especially in cooler weather. Just look at the moisture that collects on the windows on a cool night, and that gives you a good idea of what is going into the camper walls/ceiling.
These things are definitely not built like a house, and aren't really meant to be used as such.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The moisture damage can also come from simply living in the camper. If you shower and cook a lot in the camper and do not ventilate it well on a regular basis, moisture can build up in the ceiling, especially in cooler weather. Just look at the moisture that collects on the windows on a cool night, and that gives you a good idea of what is going into the camper walls/ceiling.
These things are definitely not built like a house, and aren't really meant to be used as such.
While true, I would not pursue this as a cause. If "Fair Wear and Tear" insurance will not cover any of the repair/replace cost.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

i had spots appear in my ceiling in the bathroom near the sky light. could not find anything wrong with the skylight seal but ultimately found a crack in the skylight. check that. if u have anything screwed into the side, check that for seal as well. the roof ur already checked.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #8

for the area above the shower at the skylight and surrounding area, is there a spray on sealant of some sort like a clear coat that could be applied to that area and the ceiling above the shower to eliminate the water vapor from contacting the ceiling material or does the ceiling need some moisture so it doesn't dry rot?
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote