Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
How to replace power awning with a manual awning?

On my first trip with a new 2012 Flagstaff 831QBSS, I learned that the power awning is substantially less stable than the manual awning on my previous 2002 Flagstaff 827BH, even in a mild wind. It is also less flexible in the way it can be configured. So I would like to replace the power awning with a manual awning, and can probably do the job myself. Would appreciate any suggestion on my 2 major concerns: 1. How to hide and seal the 8 rivet holes in the fiberglass siding. 2. How to find the location for anchoring the top bracket, to get maximum anchor strength.

2012 Flagstaff 831QBSS, 2500 Chevy Express 6.0 Liter
Ken-Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
The reason you mentioned is one of the reasons that we ordered our Rockwood with a manual awning. The factory even double-checked our order...thought we were nuts. The other reason is that I like to set-up the awning like a carport most of the time we camp.

I know we had to special order as the standard was a power awning. The problem switching to a manual awning is that the lower arm mount is positioned much lower than with the power awing. The factory most likely will not have blocking or a backer in the exterior wall at that location. You'd need to verify that with the factory first before anything else..

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
I treat our power awning just like the manual one. We (Carport) it and use tension ropes to the ground at a angle.I made cradle support legs just like the manual type,adjustable up & down for pitch either way I want. Tension to keep the awning from going up and over the trailer,and supported down to the ground. I can do pullups on the main roller tube. People who say they tie their roller down without the cradle support legs cant (Hang) from their roller tube,they would also (Bend) their sliding adjustable pitch arms. I know this works for us in high winds & heavy rain storms. Your case may be different. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Like Dave said, there probably isn't anything in the wall to attach the awning to. Probably better to just live with what you have, rather than making a mess of your brand new camper.
I wasn't thrilled at first either, but have learned it isn't so bad.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
I like our power awning as well. No issues with tying it down .
and if I don't tie it down one flip of the switch and its retracted within seconds.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote