Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Site Team

Input needed on Flagstaff 831RLBSS

Howdy everyone, I am currently looking to upsize my travel trailer situation from a Trailmanor.... to a Flagstaff 831RLBss (or it's clone the Rockwood 8314BSS). I was hoping to gain a little insight, to know what to expect (or look for) from those here who have experience with these trailers.

The only thing I really didn't like about the trailer, was the lack of outside storage compartments. The brochure/online diagram shows an outside compartment in the living room superslide, but these are not present in the two models I looked at today. The only one seemed to be the one that is accessable from the outside that goes under the main bed. Has anyone added any kind of outside storage to theirs? I was thinking maybe of adding some kind of rack over/behind the battery on the tongue. Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

I plan to pull this trailer with a 2001 Dodge 2500 diesel. I was already going to add a stabilizer, but would a weight distribution hitch be advised also?

Anything I should check on (or out) before I purchase this unit....especially during the pre delivery phase.?

I really like the atrium that Great White has in his, but that is not going to be on either of the two units I am looking at. They both have the free standing dinette, and lazy boy recliners (which I like).

I also see my old friends from the Trailmanor and Rvpics forums, Chap and Ed Junior, are here. Chap, if this isn't the correct forum to post these questions in, please move them to the appropriate place. I am still feeling my way around here, and may have overlooked some things in my anxiousness to find out more on these trailers.

Thanks to everyone who care to share their experiences.

Bobby
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #2

Looking at the same

We have been looking at the same units all summer and still have not moved yet. I agree the under storage is slim. The only place is under the bed and I told the wife if we go that way that that would have to be mine for my outside storage. There is a tone of cupboards and closets in there so no worry to put everything in. The only way to get the extra storage is the booth style dinettes.
Just remember if yoy go atrium slide you also lose all the cupboards on that side as well. If you don't need them it makes the unit look amazing. The only other thing we found as in most trailers there is no coat closet. We currently have one in our KZ and would like to get one in our next unit.
Other wise it is the almost perfect trailer. Our other one is the windjammer/V-lite.
They have the exact same layout but with the frontal area all usable closet space to which the other does not have. Everything else is pretty much the same.
My only concern with the V fronts is selling later. We know we probably will do one more trailer at retirement (10-12 years) and my gut tells me a more traditional style would resell better but we also are getting dragged by the better layout of the V front model of the same.
Now we rest and can't decide which way to go.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bobby, it is great seeing the username wmtire on this forum !!

I can't help much with the lack of storage on the 831RLBSS, but hopefully someone with that same trailer can help you out.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by stabilizer, unless you are referring to an anti-sway bar. Even though you have a 3/4 ton truck, I would still recommend a WDH with integrated sway control instead of a friction type sway bar. That 851 lb. listed tongue weight is probably going to be around 1000 lbs. by the time you have the trailer loaded for camping. Propane and battery on the tongue, plus it looks like most of the storage is going to be in the front part of the trailer can really add up. The rear axle on a 3/4 ton truck should be able to handle that 1000 lbs, but the problem is that the weight is sticking several feet behind the axle, magnifying the weight on the rear axle, and taking weight off of the front axle, messing up the geometry of the truck.

Even though I have a 1/2 ton truck, if the wheelbases and overhangs are similar, then these figures should carry over fairly close: Adding a 720 lb. tongue weight on the hitch of my truck added 1040 lbs. to my rear axle, and took off 320 lbs. from my front axle. Add another 300 lbs. to that equation, and you can get an idea of the weight transfer that might occur.

And we thought Trailmanors had heavy tongues weights.

I have read where friction bar antisway systems are not as effective with longer trailers. A Reese Dual Cam, Equalizer, Blue Ox or other WDHs with built in sway control should be a better option.......if you are going to use a WDH, might as well include the anti-sway system. Hensley Hitches type hitches are top of the line, but expensive.

Again, welcome to the forum, and it would be great if you decide on a Forest River product so you would stick around on this forum. Heck, you don't even need a Forest River product here.....there are no rules concerning that. But beware, we will probably be relying on your tire expertise in the future.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #4

831RLBSS Storage and Hitch Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Howdy everyone, I am currently looking to upsize my travel trailer situation from a Trailmanor.... to a Flagstaff 831RLBss (or it's clone the Rockwood 8314BSS). I was hoping to gain a little insight, to know what to expect (or look for) from those here who have experience with these trailers.

The only thing I really didn't like about the trailer, was the lack of outside storage compartments. The brochure/online diagram shows an outside compartment in the living room superslide, but these are not present in the two models I looked at today. The only one seemed to be the one that is accessable from the outside that goes under the main bed. Has anyone added any kind of outside storage to theirs? I was thinking maybe of adding some kind of rack over/behind the battery on the tongue. Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

I plan to pull this trailer with a 2001 Dodge 2500 diesel. I was already going to add a stabilizer, but would a weight distribution hitch be advised also?

Anything I should check on (or out) before I purchase this unit....especially during the pre delivery phase.?

I really like the atrium that Great White has in his, but that is not going to be on either of the two units I am looking at. They both have the free standing dinette, and lazy boy recliners (which I like).

I also see my old friends from the Trailmanor and Rvpics forums, Chap and Ed Junior, are here. Chap, if this isn't the correct forum to post these questions in, please move them to the appropriate place. I am still feeling my way around here, and may have overlooked some things in my anxiousness to find out more on these trailers.

Thanks to everyone who care to share their experiences.

Bobby

Hello Bobby,
We bought the Flagstaff 831RLBSS, in April this year. The storage under the bedroom slide and a small compartment under the awning that holds the BBQ are about it. However the under bedroom slide storage is of pretty good size, I carry two lounge chairs and 2 regular chairs, plus the manual wrenches that come with TT, my carpet for when we roll out the awning and one of those ramp thingies that you pull up on to change a flat w/o jacking the TT. I even placed the A/C power cords and water hoses in there also.
We opted for the boothe dining instead of the free standing table and chairs and there is storage under the booth seats as well as two easy access drawers.The inside storage is very good for us (two) and we carry a lot of stuff, computers, stationary,books, laptops, my photography stuff, wifes genealogy binders, games etc. plus clothes for all occasions.I have not added any storage so can't advise you on that.
I bought two Rubbermaid type bin boxes that I carry in the bed of my 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duromax in which I place the sewer hoses and related stuff in one, and general stuff in the other. I have a Snug top bed cover which locks so everything in the bed is protected and out of sight. Ther is plenty of room in the bed for firewood, an ice chest, hydraulic jack and the E2 Equilizer Hitch shank assembly, spring arms etc. while the TT is parked. I asked the dealer for the appropriate Equalizer/Weight Distrubution Hitch and the E2 10K unit is what I have. It tows well, we were in some heavy winds in Kansas in May this year and it handled very good.
As far as things to look for/check/pre-delivery etc, there were air gaps around the frames near the bottom of both entry doors, since repaired by dealer and the wife wishes for more electrical outlets in the kitchen area.
We like our unit, and the Duromax pulls it very well, and I'm not familar with Dodge as to power and towing capacities.
Best regards, and any additional questions please let me know, I'll do my best.
Doug aka Wanderer "All who wander are not lost."
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
The only way to get the extra storage is the booth style dinettes.
Just remember if you go atrium slide you also lose all the cupboards on that side as well.
Now we rest and can't decide which way to go.
Thanks so much for the information Calgarygringo. The first dealer (with the Rockwood) didn't know this information the first time I went, but now we both know about why their unit doesn't have the other outside storage hatch, thanks to your post. I didn't even think about that with the atrium, though it's perfect common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Hello Bobby,
We bought the Flagstaff 831RLBSS, in April this year. The storage under the bedroom slide and a small compartment under the awning that holds the BBQ are about it. However the under bedroom slide storage is of pretty good size, I carry two lounge chairs and 2 regular chairs, plus the manual wrenches that come with TT, my carpet for when we roll out the awning and one of those ramp thingies that you pull up on to change a flat w/o jacking the TT. I even placed the A/C power cords and water hoses in there also.

I bought two Rubbermaid type bin boxes that I carry in the bed of my 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duromax in which I place the sewer hoses and related stuff in one, and general stuff in the other. I have a Snug top bed cover which locks so everything in the bed is protected and out of sight. Ther is plenty of room in the bed for firewood, an ice chest, hydraulic jack and the E2 Equilizer Hitch shank assembly, spring arms etc. while the TT is parked. I asked the dealer for the appropriate Equalizer/Weight Distrubution Hitch and the E2 10K unit is what I have. It tows well, we were in some heavy winds in Kansas in May this year and it handled very good.
Doug, those are the exact things I wanted to know..... especially if you could get some chairs, hoses, and carpet in the storage compartment underneath the bed. Now I know, thanks to you.

The whole reason I am looking at a pull-behind instead of a fifth wheeler, is I want to take my dual sport motorcycle on trips with me, and will need the bed of my truck free for this.

I am now studying up on the E2.

Chap, great to hear from you, as always. It's because of you, that I started looking at forest river trailers to start with. I was leaning heavily towards a keystone cougar. I still don't know if I can part with my trailmanor.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Are there any particular things I may need to look for in a pre-delivery inspection (besides the door and slide seals)?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Alright, I am an "official" Forest River owner now, as I pulled her home this evening. Look for me to be pestering all of ya now on the forums.

The dealer I got her from was about 90 miles away, and there was no problem in pulling her. She is extremely lightweight, just as I wanted.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and support.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Alright, I am an "official" Forest River owner now, as I pulled her home this evening. Look for me to be pestering all of ya now on the forums.

The dealer I got her from was about 90 miles away, and there was no problem in pulling her. She is extremely lightweight, just as I wanted.

Hey Bobby,
Welcome to the Forest River and any questions please let us know.
Wanderer
Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Hey Bobby,
Welcome to the Forest River and any questions please let us know.
Wanderer
hey Bobby,
Been out camping yet.
Any issues pop up?
Any questions I can help you with?
best regards
Wanderer
Old 12-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #10

Welcome to the 831 RLBSS club!

I love my atrium slide, but you're right, the 831 is limited on outside storage space. But what it sacrifices in outside storage it more than makes up for in inside storage cabinets.

You just can't get things like lawn chairs in them.....

I've got a husky centerline WD hitch. You need a good wd hitch with sway control to keep all 35 odd feet of this sucker under control.

Your Cummins probably hardly notices it back there....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
hey Bobby,
Been out camping yet.
Any issues pop up?
Any questions I can help you with?
best regards
Wanderer
Haven't been "officially" camping with her yet (just in the yard).

Got a trip planned about the middle of January with some friends. Can't wait.

The only issue I had (and it was my ignorance, and not an issue) was when I couldn't get the television to come on. I had forgot about unplugging it from the shore power at my house the night before.

I did discover yesterday that the set ( 2 pairs) of keys my dealer gave me, that only one pair fits the bedroom door, and none fit the living room door.

Thanks for the encouragement, and followup. Hopefully (fingers crossed), I won't have too many issues pop up.......but I am definitely not the bashful type about asking for help if they do.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #12

Congratulations on your purchase. My DW and I picked up our 2011 831 RLBSS in June and have camped over 45 nights with it during the past year. We love everyting about it, with very few problems. Ours has the atrium slide with free standing table and lazy boy recliners. Many guest have slept on the airbed coach and found it to be very comfortable, we like the privacy that the walk through bath gives us. If ordering again there is nothing we would change but, mods that we are adding this winter is extra memory foam matress to the main bed, tv mount with removable TV for the bedroom(TV can then be taken outside for under awning viewing), pullout shelves to the pantry, battery disconnect switch and storage box behind the propane tanks. Our TV is a 1500 LT half ton Suburban with Equalizer 1200 WD hitch, trailer dry weight for us is an actual 7004 lb, total GVW with 2 passengers full fuel and trailer loaded out is 14,500 lb. Our longest road trip was 700 miles to western KY and back, ave. 10 mpg. I also carry kayaks and bikes but, the inside storage of the Suburban helps with the lack of storage in the trailer. Mods we added over the summer include hanging shelves in the wardrobe and over the door shoe storage for the door between bedroom and bath. It holds all those little things like sunscreen, insect repellent, cameras binoculars. When purchased we ordered an extra create a vent fan and larger AC unit, we covered all vents with Max Air style covers so we could keep the vents open during rain. We shed a few tears when we put the trailer in winter storage, we live in Michigan, and have already booked 25 camping days for next year. My hope is you and the family will love your new trailer as much as we have loved ours.
Prodigy Brake Controller
rlwestbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwestbrook View Post
Our TV is a 1500 LT half ton Suburban with Equalizer 1200 WD hitch...
Really?

Half ton?

I was worried about hauling this "monster" (I've got the atrium also) with my K2500 6.5 TD and a husky centerline WD/sway hitch.

well, if it's under your ratings and pulls fine, there ya go!

Maybe I shouldn't be quite so worried....

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #14

It is a monster, the inside space is well worth dealing with the length. I've only pulled in the KY hills, but, I could leave it on cruise control and hold 55-60 mph most of the time. I am near the max of the GVW and tow rating but, spent years in the trucking business so have learned a few tricks of the trade from my drivers. I will take a few more testing trips before I tackle any big mountains. Get use to having the curious come and knock on the door when they view the atrium slides, they love to look inside.
Prodigy Brake Controller
rlwestbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
It is a monster, the inside space is well worth dealing with the length.
Yup that's why we took a loss on our first trailer to buy it. Love the light and space!

Quote:
I've only pulled in the KY hills, but, I could leave it on cruise control and hold 55-60 mph most of the time. I am near the max of the GVW and tow rating but, spent years in the trucking business so have learned a few tricks of the trade from my drivers. I will take a few more testing trips before I tackle any big mountains. Get use to having the curious come and knock on the door when they view the atrium slides, they love to look inside.
Do tell?

How's about sharing?

Gearing down, running the bottom, etc?

Husky Centerline Hitch
Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #16

Hi guy, we have the same unit in a 2006 model without the bedroom slide and LOVE it.
If you have not settled on weight distribution yet I highly recommend the Reese dual-cam system. No sway at all when a truck goes by or when I drop it off the pavement and bring it back on the road...there is simply no sway!
Not to mention it is easy to adjust for weight, simply move the chain up of down.
As far as outside storage...like everything else...if you have it you will fill it up!LOL
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #17

I know this thread is several months old but I also have the 831rlbss. Got the 2010 in Feb 2010. I've been in it all year around Batesville,MS. I have a Ram 2011 6.7L TD and it pulls like it had nothing there - other than the 10mpg. There are just 2 things that irk me. The shower stall is CHEAP plastic. Not bashing - comparing it to the 831RLSS that I traded. I stand in the shower and my feet sink into the floor like wet sand. The sales repair shop supposedly fixed it but it's horrible. I know one day I'll go through the floor. At a trailer show I stood in all the other showers there and they were all firm, as my 831rlss was. Next is the squeek that has developed at the vent area by the rocking chairs. I've had 3 places tell me it's normal. Drives me nuts. One place said they stopped selling Flagstaff because they skimped on their floor spacing - 24 to 30 inch centers instead of 16. But I love these Lazy Boy rocker recliners, and large Toshiba tv. Bed is comfortable, fold out is comfortable, dinette is always cluttered with my junk! Storage under the bed, the fold out, overhead, under the hot water tank and closet is very nice. I think the sound is good but have read others thing it's poor. I do not like the water filter area - its too confined to change the filter and I suggest anyone have the dealer make a straight through line. Get an outside filter, easier to change and in the winter you can't forget to drain it! I suspect it is light weight because of skimping of structure as in my shower and suspected flooring. Ed H
semlohde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #18

Semlohde,as for the (soft) shower floor,remove the inspection panel from the shower base. Check how much floor they removed to place the trap. If it is very large the shower supports have nothing to sit on except (AIR), thus the (SPONGY) fealing in the base of the shower! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by semlohde View Post
There are just 2 things that irk me. The shower stall is CHEAP plastic. Not bashing - comparing it to the 831RLSS that I traded. I stand in the shower and my feet sink into the floor like wet sand. The sales repair shop supposedly fixed it but it's horrible. I know one day I'll go through the floor. At a trailer show I stood in all the other showers there and they were all firm, as my 831rlss was. Next is the squeek that has developed at the vent area by the rocking chairs. I've had 3 places tell me it's normal. Drives me nuts. One place said they stopped selling Flagstaff because they skimped on their floor spacing - 24 to 30 inch centers instead of 16. But I love these Lazy Boy rocker recliners, and large Toshiba tv. Bed is comfortable, fold out is comfortable, dinette is always cluttered with my junk! Storage under the bed, the fold out, overhead, under the hot water tank and closet is very nice. I think the sound is good but have read others thing it's poor. I do not like the water filter area - its too confined to change the filter and I suggest anyone have the dealer make a straight through line. Get an outside filter, easier to change and in the winter you can't forget to drain it! I suspect it is light weight because of skimping of structure as in my shower and suspected flooring. Ed H
Ed, I have that same squeek, at the same place. Was thinking about going back to the dealer with it, or seeing if others here have fixed it themselves (but just haven't had the time).

Changing the filter doesn't bother me as much as the fact that you have to unscrew the "fake hinges" to open the access door. Same thing for accessing the water heater. I hadn't really thought about just bypassing/doing away with the inside water filter, but may modify mine this weekend. That would be an easy enough fix. Thanks for the tip.

I called myself checking/stepping inside the shower before buying it, but haven't yet actually used the shower.

Overall, I'm pleased with a lot of the same features you are. Trying to plan a real shakedown trip with it at the end of this month up in Arkansas. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #20

Good to get replies so fast on an old thread! YOUROO (replying at 3:20 am!!) is correct on the spongy shower. I checked that out right after I was spongin' around! And yes, they cut WAY TOO MUCH out of that shower floor and the plywood is WAYYYY TOOO THIN to support anything. POOR CRAFTMANSHIP FLAGSTAFF (like they're reading this or care). I did take it back to Smallwoods in Jackson, TN and they did what they could I guess. Always had pretty good service from them, bought this and the 831rlss from them. But I didn't have this in the 831rlss or in any of the trailers I walked into at the Southaven RV show last month. Pretty disappointed in that squeek and shower though. BUT - it's a nice size, good inside storage, winterizes quickly and easily - open the inside faucets and then unscrew the low point drain covers. That also seems to drain the hot water tank as I've taken that rod out after doing this drain and nothing drains out. Gets hot as blazes in July and August in upper Mississippi. This 15,000 btu just can't cool those 3 digit days. One other thing - when I got mine the radio went out and they swapped out one for me. It works fine other than if I put a DVD in, plays fine, take the DVD out and go back to AV1 for my directtv - there is a hiss that developes in the front speakers. I have to change the input and go back to AV1 to clear that.

WMTIRE - enjoy your Arkansas trip and let us know how it did. be sure and chock both sides of your tires. I chocked just my right side and was at Enid lake, MS when that storm passed through last week. Twisted the trailer and it came off my wooden blocks at the front, raising the trailer some 3 inches in the rear. Bought those expanding breaks that squeeze between the tires - for both sides!
ed
semlohde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff