Old 01-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Installing Heat Strips

We bought 832OKBS in 2017 and it has front and rear a/c, however, it did not come with electric heat capabilities. If I purchase the heat strip kit and install it myself, has anyone done this themselves that could share the experience? Also, would it be wise or possible to install the strip kit in both units?

Home Base - Celina, TX
Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #2

I have always heard that they are highly inefficient and heating with gas was much better. However, if you just need to give your system a boost then it would probably make sense to put them in both units.

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #3

Heat strips may be mislabeled, they are more like lukewarm strips. In my experience they will take a chill off, but you won’t be toasty warm. We had one in our old trailer and the DW was not impressed. We ended up not using it much at all, and stuck with the furnace.
I have read about the electric add-on for your furnace at http://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/ but I have not used or installed one.
spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah, never heard good about them. Basically a low powered space heater that just warms the cold air being blown out your AC unit as you are running them.

Save you money and either run the gas or use space heaters. they will do so much better.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback guys. If it doesn't work like regular heat, I'm out. We have the fireplace and it works amazing as far as maintaining a comfortable temperature.

Just trying to conserve the LPG usage.

Home Base - Celina, TX
Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I do the same. I'm paying for the site and power.. So I use the fireplace and space heaters. I rarely use the gas unless it is really cold and I want to warm up the camper quickly

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
RV There Yet?

I looked at adding it to my A/C on my new camper, they are either ON or OFF. there is no other control. and output is dismal to say the least. as others have said, save your money and get a space heater or use the furnace. if you read the comments for this video, the guy stopped using it shortly after installing it for the above listed reasons.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I know a few that have added the ducted electric heat kit as described above. One unit I was in, went from cold to really really warm pretty quickly. All 3 of them liked it a lot.

Not considering it as an add/mod yet, as we boondock without electrical shore power most of the time.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Our camper cane with the heat strip installed in the front bedroom air conditioner. We have used it a couple times to take chill out of camper along with the fireplace heater. Takes about 5 minutes before you can feel any warm air at all from vents and never gets really warm. It does warm up the camper after several minutes but I would probably not even try it if below 50°. Just my thinking.
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #10

Reading these replies I hope you see a common theme. Those that have them like them and those that don't, pass on negative opinions. In the past I had a motorhome with them in both a/c units and they are great! Even down into the mid to high 30's you get a nice even heat which is much better than the hot-cold-hot with the propane furnace. Only the few nights we were out in the low 30's and below did we use the propane. Think of all the propane you will save.
I highly recommend you installing them - you will be happy!

cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote