Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #1

Interior steps

My 2006 Flagstaff Fifth Wheel has only two steps going from main floor to bedroom. These are high steps. My wife fell coming down and broke her foot. Had to have surgery and a steel plate and screws put in her foot to heal the break! She was off work for eight weeks. I now have the unit at the Dealer and rebuilding the steps so there are three instead of two. This is a Manufacture defect in my opinion! Just to save a little they cut corners and only built unit with two steps. I see on line the new Flagstaff units now do have three steps. Ummmm!
Melvin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

The new Flagstaff fifths have three steps because the bedroom/bathroom floor is much higher than yours. You have to step up to go around your bed, correct? We do not.
But they are pretty steep, a function of the limited space in a camper. Everything is a compromise, and they cannot be built to house specs.
The greater problem is the slippery surface, and we are waiting for Costco to get their winter mats in, as they have a very grippy underside and can be trimmed to fit without any fraying or curling at the edges.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Johnson View Post
My 2006 Flagstaff Fifth Wheel has only two steps going from main floor to bedroom. These are high steps. My wife fell coming down and broke her foot. Had to have surgery and a steel plate and screws put in her foot to heal the break! She was off work for eight weeks. I now have the unit at the Dealer and rebuilding the steps so there are three instead of two. This is a Manufacture defect in my opinion! Just to save a little they cut corners and only built unit with two steps. I see on line the new Flagstaff units now do have three steps. Ummmm!
Sorry to hear about your wife but blaming the RV manufacturer is a little out there and all too indicative of what's wrong with society nowadays.

Rant over.
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Johnson View Post
Sorry to hear of your wife injury. After 7 or 8 feet & ankles surgeries and having a good deal of metal inserted I can relate to things other people usually can't see or understand.

My brother's FW had a two-step to the bedroom area and it was steep with small stepping area. I almost fell exiting another trailer (Not a FR trailer) while window shopping because of the large drop from one step to the next.

I am glad that you are able to have the steps rebuilt. I wouldn't mind seeing more designs thought out better. It wouldn't hurt writing to FR to inform them of your concern and how you are fixing it so that it doesn't happen again.

I can't say I see it as a manufacture defect but I don't like the design. With my feet & ankles history believe me that I took a lot of things into consideration when selecting my trailer.

How is your wife doing since the accident?

Take care,
T.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #5

Thank you all for the response. I don't blame FR for the step problem, I just think they should have thought on the design a little more. My wife is fine now and we are Happy Campers Again.
Melvin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #6

My wife also complains about the two steps up to the bedroom. In the process of making a 3 step unit. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote