Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Issue with Flagstaff 832IKBS TV Reception

We have a new 2014 Flagstaff, and so far, we love absolutely it. We did a couple 4 and 6 days trips in July (after purchasing it) and again in August, but are now 5 days into a 22 day trip. This is providing the opportunity to learn more about the trailer.

Though this issue is minor, it's annoying. The trailer came with a 32" Toshiba flat screen mounted in the entertainment center, and we mounted a 25" flat screen in the bedroom, using the location and hook-ups already in place there.

TV reception is great, on either set, and excellent picture quality with either TV, unless:

1. If bedroom overhead light is turned on, neither TV will receive signal -- screen just locks up, or goes black. We've been told on this forum that it's due to the LED lights, and that may be true. However . . . If we turn on the LED lights above the head of the bed, there are no issues.

2. If the LED puck lights above the sink in bathroom are turned on, same TV problem; both TV sets. However, if other LED's in bathroom are turned on, and pucks are turned off, no problem. No other lights, inside or outside the trailer, cause these issues.

3. Here's another situation, and likely where I'll loose most of you! Yeah, I know, this one sounds far fetched, but is the God's truth. There is a large wardrobe with twin sliding mirrored doors at the end of the bedroom, beside the TV. If we open the mirrored door closest to the TV, all reception is lost; either TV set! And that's with lights off! Slide the door shut, and back comes the TV! No, Rod Serling hasn't made an appearance yet!

4. With the two TV's, I may want to catch a game, and she wants something else, so the set-up should be great. However . . . If one of us is watching the TV in the entertainment center, and the other one starts the one in the bedroom, the one in the entertainment center looses its picture, locks up, and goes black, regardless of what lights are on. Even with all of them off. As a side note, the bedroom TV is where the antenna is located, so it receives the signal first, I suppose. Even if both sets are turned to the same station, the condition exists.

However, no other LED lights in the trailer cause these conditions, so if they are the cause, it must be due to their proximity to the antenna wire?? We are using the trailer antenna, as it came, with no other add-on's or cable. Ideas??

Lastly, I was wondering if I could hook the bedroom TV to the outlet for cable, and hook a separate antenna up outdoors, and connect it to the exterior cable connection. That would seem to separate the two signals, but I haven't experimented to see if that works.

Ideas, folks!!

Many thanks, and enjoy your weekend.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #2

Badlands, I have a 2013 832IKBS we also installed a tv in the bedroom above the curb side window. We have not experienced any of the problems you describe.
I am assuming you are using the antenna power button inside the entertainment center when you are using the antenna and turning it off when your hooked up to external cable. You have to reset the channels on the tv's when you switch between them (which is a pain) I recommend removing the cover plates on your antenna connections and see if there is anything loose.
On a side note, I recommend removing the cover below your shower and ensuring the connections are tight, we found ours loose and leaking water directly to the subfloor. (the main flooring is cut away below the shower to allow clearance for the trap)
wilsonseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the tips and ideas, wilsonseattle. As it turns out, the problem was not with the trailer, but parks I was in, and distance from the TV transmission towers. First, the towers are all approximately 70 miles from where we routinely camp. At that distance, I am still able to pull in 15-18 stations, though several of those as PBS stations from various locations. Regardless, we get the four major networks.

Frequently, we are camped below a major dam, and due to elevation change, trees, and distance from TV stations, that's where our problems came in. I should have considered those factors earlier, but this is our first trailer with two television sets. Live and learn!

I'll check those shower connections, too, and thanks for the heads-up!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

We have the RV in my signature and also got a 24" in the bedroom and so far so good, although I have not tested any of the specific scenarios in the OP's post.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff, reception, tv reception