Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

Jack Antenna Light

Since I have not received a response from another thread, I'll start a new discussion. I've search all the other threads on FRF about the Jack antenna and haven't seen my exact situation.

Purchased the replacement head from CW and installed today. I followed the mounting instructions exactly. I checked the channels before doing anything and received 16 channels with the original batwing. Mounted the Jack and still 16 channels using the onboard amplifier that came with the TT. The light on the bottom is very dim. Is it supposed to be noticeable? I plugged the TT into shore power to top the charge on the battery that was a little low. Would the battery being a little down hurt the amplifying power of the booster and effect the brightness of the light on the bottom of the Jack?

Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Since I have not received a response from another thread, I'll start a new discussion. I've search all the other threads on FRF about the Jack antenna and haven't seen my exact situation.

Purchased the replacement head from CW and installed today. I followed the mounting instructions exactly. I checked the channels before doing anything and received 16 channels with the original batwing. Mounted the Jack and still 16 channels using the onboard amplifier that came with the TT. The light on the bottom is very dim. Is it supposed to be noticeable? I plugged the TT into shore power to top the charge on the battery that was a little low. Would the battery being a little down hurt the amplifying power of the booster and effect the brightness of the light on the bottom of the Jack?
"onboard amplifier that came with the TT." You are talking about the power supply and not the amplifier. The amplifiers are in the antenna head (both the batwing and the Jack).

If the Jack is not getting power it could be your battery is too low to push all the way up the coax to the Jack or it could be you have a pinched wire shorting out the Jack itself.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #3

I stand corrected on the amplifier. The power supply for the antenna is inside a cabinet door and turns on(green light) when the button is pushed in. When I "unpush" the button (green light off) the channels fade out. So I feel like the power supply is working. You mentioned a pinched wire. Could that be in the antenna itself? I'll give the battery a couple days to charge fully and check things again.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Old 06-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I stand corrected on the amplifier. The power supply for the antenna is inside a cabinet door and turns on(green light) when the button is pushed in. When I "unpush" the button (green light off) the channels fade out. So I feel like the power supply is working. You mentioned a pinched wire. Could that be in the antenna itself? I'll give the battery a couple days to charge fully and check things again.
The power supply is also a source switch. With the light ON you select the roof antenna and with the light OFF you select the park cable input on the side of the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	55643  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
While you are waiting be a good chance to clean the connector wires cap and threads and well as center conductor most loss is often in the RG59 connectors.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #6

I wiped the coax connector out before screwing into the female outlet on the antenna. The instructions say to not over tighten the connector. I finger tightened and then used pliers to snug it up to keep it from vibrating loose. Included in the box was a dab of dielectric grease. I didn't put that on, didn't think it would matter.
This TT has spent about 6 weeks outdoors since I've owned it. And I don't think it sat on the dealer's lot for very long because they hadn't done a whole lot of prep work before we bought it. FWIW. I guess I'm hoping for a weak battery. My next purchase will be a battery tender so things like this won't happen.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Old 06-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
I wiped the coax connector out before screwing into the female outlet on the antenna. The instructions say to not over tighten the connector. I finger tightened and then used pliers to snug it up to keep it from vibrating loose. Included in the box was a dab of dielectric grease. I didn't put that on, didn't think it would matter.
This TT has spent about 6 weeks outdoors since I've owned it. And I don't think it sat on the dealer's lot for very long because they hadn't done a whole lot of prep work before we bought it. FWIW. I guess I'm hoping for a weak battery. My next purchase will be a battery tender so things like this won't happen.
That's good the wiring is in good shape and the grease will help it stay that way. Question though I didn't see where you rotated the batwing from inside to improve the reception LED's on the case? I've seen them bring in HD signals but not sure at what distance that will happen.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #8

Quote:
The light on the bottom is very dim. Is it supposed to be noticeable?
I also have the same expereince - after I mounted the Jack Replacement Head I noticed that the light on the underside of the head appeared to not be "obviously" on, and I could not tell whether it was the light from sun making it look as if it was on or not. I installed it before breakfast one morning as the sun was low in the sky. The RV was on shore power and the stitch at the wall plate was on (no trouble seeing its light). Anyway I figured since the TV was picking up channels then the amplifier in the Jack Head must be working. I tested that by pushing the wall plate switch and watching the reception disappear.

I never did check the Jack Head light in the night time. Maybe if I remember next time I go camping.

As far as performance goes - I have only had limited time with it but its performance has not blown me away compared with the Winegard Sensar IV with Wingman that I took off. More assessment to come I suppose.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #9

Timex, I too just replaced the batwing with the Jack replacement head. I also did NOT see improvement in channels/reception that reviewers bragged about. Light on Jack antenna was hard to see on sunny day but believe it was sort of flickering instead of a steady light. I rotated both antennas to determine best signal direction.
I have a different set up for power booster. I have a Winegard Video Distribution Center that has the booster incorporated into it. I was wondering if the Jack provided booster was a better match than using the existing booster?? I DO know not to use both together because that could damage system.
Thanks Herk for the suggestion to check house batteries. I will check them and see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to give the Jack a great review too but cannot do at this time.
Navigator - Gail
Louie & Cleo - Jack Russell's (Rulers of the Roost)
Fore Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:07 AM   #10

The blue light on the bottom of the Jack antenna is only for the signal strength. There's a little adjustment screw there as well. That screw is for the strength meter gain. It does nothing for the reception. In the case of too strong of a signal or too weak of a signal, you can turn that (+\-) to adjust the gain of the SIGNAL METER only. So, lets say your blue lights are all on. Turn that screw down a bit and you should be able to zero in on the exact location of the signal. Oh, if the blue light(s) bothers you, turn the switch off thats located on the side of the Jack head.

Tags
antenna, light