Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Just bought a new micro light 21fbrs

Hey everybody--New to the forum. The wife and I just bought the above and was wondering the opinion of other owners of this model. We won't be using the shower but for storage. What are some good mods other owners have done to this trailer. We retired 3 years ago and bought an older trailer to see if we would enjoy camping and we do. We camp 1 week every month. So we decided on upgrading to a new trailer.
scottfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Site Team

You might get better responses from owners of the Rockwood twin of your model, since FR sells way more Rockwoods than the twin Flagstaff line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

That is the unit we have and we love it. We're out once a month for 10-14 days. We're now planning out 2+ month get away to Maine. Get an Oxygenics shower head.
We also keep a Eva-Dry dehumidifier on when parked at home 24/7.
uphillracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #4

Just bought this unit myself and so far it's great. Couple of mods I've made are turning the closet by the refrigerator into a pantry. Got a shelving unit that fits inside then square baskets that slide in for canned goods etc. so the don't fly around. Got over the door hooks for hanging coat/hat on outside of bathroom door, inside for towels etc. Have a plastic storage tote that I put electrical cords/water hose/sewer hose that fits perfect in the back side storage unit. Sure I'll find more wonderful things to make it more homey
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #5

We like our 2104S. Learned how to take showers without making a mess. Murphy bed is nice option. Radio is a hit or miss, but nice when it's working. Easy to tow with small pickup. I think you will enjoy yours.
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses everybody. I pull mine with a Tacoma v-6 off road 4x4 and it does great. I bought a scan guage to monitor transmission temps. It give me two readings. Pan temp and exiting torq convertor temps. The temp runs about 180 highway and gets a little higher in traffic. I am going to try a manually operated switch for a fan on my transmission cooler so I can turn it on in traffic as needed. Love this floor plan. I had a 2006 trail lite 8230 23' before this.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #7

We bought our 21 FBRS last year and we've had it out 3 times but will use it more this summer. I put shelves in closet by refrigerator and some hooks in there for costs and umbrella. I also put little trays in the bathroom medicine cabinet do things won't fall out when you open the door. We are going to get baby locks for the drawers because they come open when we travel. We are also going to get different stabilizer jacks.

Have fun and welcome! Everyone on here is extremely helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Vpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

THANKS

Glad to hear you are enjoying your camper. Like your ideas, particularly the baby lock on the drawers...Mine are open when I arrive also. Will have to try that trick.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I'm at number 10 for shelves, even put up a hair dryer holder....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0514141506b.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	77995   Click image for larger version

Name:	0514141507a.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	77996   Click image for larger version

Name:	0514141509a.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	77997   Click image for larger version

Name:	0527140856 (2).jpg
Views:	207
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	77998   Click image for larger version

Name:	0702141546.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	77999  

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

Great ideas all. I also added hooks inside the BR door and outside. I added a bike rack welded to the frame with a slide-in jack. I placed two little circular LED lights over the bed as reading lights. I tow with a Land Rover HSE so I can (and do) get way off road when I get to the camping area. We also got an outside "front porch" tent which zips in easily to the awning channel. It is made by Carefree and we got it from Hilltop RV Superstore. This has expanded our outdoor time when it rains and added privacy too. It is either the Vacation'r or the Buena Vista. No holes, etc., just the awning channel.
uphillracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Great ideas. Keep em coming.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #12

We also have that same trailer. I added a extra battery,2000 watt inverter,auto transfer switch for generator, better shower head,auto motion light over the switch panel, power vent over bed w/Max Air cover,shelves in closet next to fridge,LED reading lights over bed,power tongue jack,black tank flush,tall splash guard in shower,changed out the 300 toilet for the 310 model,added storage above fridge,3rd led brake light and a few other things.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #13

Bought on Overstock a new mattress of thick memory foam (way comfortable now), 3 separate 6 pack holders fit under the bathroom sink for soaps, sunscreens & bugspray, a thermocell does a great job to keep us bug free under the awning.
This camper has way more storage space than I could ever imagine but putting shelves in that space next to the fridge sounds like a great idea (right now I just stack a couple plastic storage containers). Wish the 3 sets of speakers could be balanced a little better for outside sound. We have camped a long weekend every month since our purchase 2 years ago ....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #14

Great ideas. May have to steal a couple of those.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #15

I have this same trailer. I love it..Someone will break the screen door handle on the inside. crazy design. $19 ordered from FR. Easy to replace. Have one in your bucket. Bought one of these shoe racks for the bathroom door. Works great for shoes and anything else that will fit in the cubbie holes. Studio 3B™ Over-the-Door 20 Shoe Organizer - BedBathandBeyond.com. I know you said you will not use your shower. I don't either but from time to time I need to. I installed these to keep the water in the shower. They work great. Have to trim a little bit to fit and caulk well. Magic Large Splash Guard for Tubs and Showers-3003 - The Home Depot I put my toilet paper holder on the inside of the vanity door. Something like these on the sides of the cabinets next to the bed. Rubbermaid Unbreakable Wall Files Letter Size Pack Of 3 by Office Depot & OfficeMax On the bedside tables, I found baskets that fit on about half of that space and nailed trim pieces to hold them there for books or whatever so it won't slide all over in transit. I found some thicker material and lined the back side of the curtain so the trailer isn't a fish bowl at night. Condensation will happen when it is cold. The pillows that fit up in the fan/vents work great. If you put the front window cover down at night, that helps too. The closet by the door seems to get pretty wet in there...just in condensation conditions. Get a dry bag, or you can buy a real jack cover for a lot more, for your tongue jack. I found a perfect white dry bag at Walmart for less than ten bucks. Get some good tools for changing the tire. The ones that came with the trailer are a joke. The lugs on the tires are not the same size as the bolts on the spare. Hopefully this was just a mistake made on mine but I doubt it..on my side, there are 2 bolts that hold the shaft between the slide and the motor. On the slide end, they didn't use a long enough bolt and the stress was on the threads rather than the shaft part of the bolt. It snapped within the first year. Awkward to change but not hard. Requires 2 people. I now keep a handful of those bolts in my bucket. Have the little square headed screwdriver bits with you. I put a container in part of the drawer over the heater with pieces of PVC cut to put silverware in. The PVC stands up in the container. I took that 500 lb table out of the trailer and got a lighter, less bulky fold up table. TV tray works well in back of the couch too. Probably more but that's all I can think of right now. Love this little trailer. I bought a Tacoma to pull it too..Not enough truck for me. The Tundra does a much better job. The difference between DRIVING it and riding. Gas mileage is actually better in the Tundra.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
We also have that same trailer. I added a extra battery,2000 watt inverter,auto transfer switch for generator, better shower head,auto motion light over the switch panel, power vent over bed w/Max Air cover,shelves in closet next to fridge,LED reading lights over bed,power tongue jack,black tank flush,tall splash guard in shower,changed out the 300 toilet for the 310 model,added storage above fridge,3rd led brake light and a few other things.
Did you wire in the LED lights over the bed or battery? and how did you do the motion light over the switch panel? Do you have your generator mounted somewhere? Would love to read a more detail on the generator set up.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
I have this same trailer. I love it..Someone will break the screen door handle on the inside. crazy design. $19 ordered from FR. Easy to replace. Have one in your bucket. Bought one of these shoe racks for the bathroom door. Works great for shoes and anything else that will fit in the cubbie holes. Studio 3B™ Over-the-Door 20 Shoe Organizer - BedBathandBeyond.com. I know you said you will not use your shower. I don't either but from time to time I need to. I installed these to keep the water in the shower. They work great. Have to trim a little bit to fit and caulk well. Magic Large Splash Guard for Tubs and Showers-3003 - The Home Depot I put my toilet paper holder on the inside of the vanity door. Something like these on the sides of the cabinets next to the bed. Rubbermaid Unbreakable Wall Files Letter Size Pack Of 3 by Office Depot & OfficeMax On the bedside tables, I found baskets that fit on about half of that space and nailed trim pieces to hold them there for books or whatever so it won't slide all over in transit. I found some thicker material and lined the back side of the curtain so the trailer isn't a fish bowl at night. Condensation will happen when it is cold. The pillows that fit up in the fan/vents work great. If you put the front window cover down at night, that helps too. The closet by the door seems to get pretty wet in there...just in condensation conditions. Get a dry bag, or you can buy a real jack cover for a lot more, for your tongue jack. I found a perfect white dry bag at Walmart for less than ten bucks. Get some good tools for changing the tire. The ones that came with the trailer are a joke. The lugs on the tires are not the same size as the bolts on the spare. Hopefully this was just a mistake made on mine but I doubt it..on my side, there are 2 bolts that hold the shaft between the slide and the motor. On the slide end, they didn't use a long enough bolt and the stress was on the threads rather than the shaft part of the bolt. It snapped within the first year. Awkward to change but not hard. Requires 2 people. I now keep a handful of those bolts in my bucket. Have the little square headed screwdriver bits with you. I put a container in part of the drawer over the heater with pieces of PVC cut to put silverware in. The PVC stands up in the container. I took that 500 lb table out of the trailer and got a lighter, less bulky fold up table. TV tray works well in back of the couch too. Probably more but that's all I can think of right now. Love this little trailer. I bought a Tacoma to pull it too..Not enough truck for me. The Tundra does a much better job. The difference between DRIVING it and riding. Gas mileage is actually better in the Tundra.
I traded in a 2008 Tundra crewmax limited on the 2015 tacoma. It had the 4.7. The tacoma actually pulls it better. The 5.7 is a whole different animal. I still have my 2000 tundra with 250K on it. I will tow it with this sometimes. Thanks for the mod ideas. We camp at st andrews and st joe park alot.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzee View Post
Did you wire in the LED lights over the bed or battery? and how did you do the motion light over the switch panel? Do you have your generator mounted somewhere? Would love to read a more detail on the generator set up.

I spliced into the harness (12v) that feeds the light that's over the bed....The motion light that is over the switch panel operates on aaa battery's it puts out just the right amount of light and fits neatly under the edge of counter top....As of the generator I'm still working on that but have the transfer switch under the bath vanity. I supported the rear bumper with support brackets from MOUNT-n-LOCK and plan on using a cargo carrier mounted to a 2'' receiver tube to carry the generator on. I definitely will keep a close watch on the bumper and the welds. The motion light was purchased on E-Bay
eBay item number:
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #19

Great ideas

These are great ideas. May borrow a couple of them. I have ordered some motion lighting for a couple of spots and especially over the control panel. Something the manufacturer should have thought about.

Thanks again for your help.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Old 05-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #20

I thought this unit was supposed to have a heated bed...Is your's heated? Haven't found where a control is if its.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21

Tags
light