Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Leveling a 30 WFKSS

This is the maiden voyage for this TT. Both the livingroom and bedroom slides are on the same side. I have found no way to level the unit without using a board under the tires. What's up with this?
jack31312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #2

Is the (Unit) level when you start? When you put the slides out is when the tilt starts? Is the (Unit) level & the slides are tilted? Need info! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Is the (Unit) level when you start? When you put the slides out is when the tilt starts? Is the (Unit) level & the slides are tilted? Need info! Youroo!!
Yes, I am on a level concrete pad.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

did you lower the stabilizer jacks before you slide out the slides?
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid21SS View Post
did you lower the stabilizer jacks before you slide out the slides?
no I did not.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack31312 View Post
no I did not.
I'm sorry, I did have them out.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #7

It sounds like your stabilizers are not holding. Strange for sure.

How far off level does it go when you extend the slides?
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post

I am not so sure you should rely on the stab jacks found on most campers....that might be too much pressure on them once you run the slides out. If it were me, I would experiment and see how far off level the camper needs to be before the slides are extended, then allow for that every time the camper is set up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post

There is a one inch difference with the slides out. I put a 2x8 under the tires and it is still not completly level. This is a brand new unit and I should not have to be doing this!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack31312 View Post
There is a one inch difference with the slides out. I put a 2x8 under the tires and it is still not completly level. This is a brand new unit and I should not have to be doing this!
Most concrete pads are not level. They slant 1 way or the other to allow water runoff. Maybe the low side of the pad you are on is also the side of your slides. A 1" difference with the slides out with the wheels on that side on a 1 1/2" board means you just have to slip another board under the wheels, or just 1 wheel to fine tune it. That is discussed in another forum going on here. Check out: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-14496.html

There is nothing wrong with your camper. When the slides are extended, it moves the center of gravity away from the opposite side, and puts it nearer the slide side. I betcha if you measure the opposite side before and after slide extension, you will see that side raise up some. If they made campers so the slides would not affect side to side level, then your axles would not have springs and you would not have rubber tires with air.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I tried to look up the Roo 30 WFKSS (originally posted in the Roo forum), and couldn't find it. Did a little searching, and realized that model is a Flagstaff. I have moved the thread to the Flagstaff forum.

Now I can see the floor plan, and where and how big the slides are. 1 is a super slide (couch & dinette) that comes way out, and the other is a bed slide. Together, they make up at least 2/3 of that wall of the camper. Plus it looks like both slides have an exterior storage area. That is a huge weight shift. I would be concerned if that didn't lower that side of the camper when extended......it would be time to check out your axles and springs.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I tried to look up the Roo 30 WFKSS (originally posted in the Roo forum), and couldn't find it. Did a little searching, and realized that model is a Flagstaff. I have moved the thread to the Flagstaff forum.

Now I can see the floor plan, and where and how big the slides are. 1 is a super slide (couch & dinette) that comes way out, and the other is a bed slide. Together, they make up at least 2/3 of that wall of the camper. Plus it looks like both slides have an exterior storage area. That is a huge weight shift. I would be concerned if that didn't lower that side of the camper when extended......it would be time to check out your axles and springs.
Thanks, there are no springs, there is a torshon bar. I'm going to take it back to the dealership and let them know I am not a "happy camper."
Old 07-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #13

My LaCrosse 303RKS has 2 slides, a large SS with couch and dinnette (largest in it's class) and a smaller wardrobe slide. The trailer will settle to the street side after I run the slides out. I usually place a 1 x 10 under the tires on that side if I'm on a level site. That doesn't always get me perfectly level, but I would rather be a bit low on that side since it helps when I drain the tanks. I also carry a 2 x 10 to use if needed.
The tt I had before this one just had the one SS slide and it settled to the curb side as well. Just not as much.
So I think it's normal what your experiencing. Too bad you feel disapointed with this issue. To me, it's no big deal.
Kind of what mtnguy said, when you consider how much weight is being shifted, I would be concerned if it didn't settle to that side.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
My LaCrosse 303RKS has 2 slides, a large SS with couch and dinnette (largest in it's class) and a smaller wardrobe slide. The trailer will settle to the street side after I run the slides out. I usually place a 1 x 10 under the tires on that side if I'm on a level site. That doesn't always get me perfectly level, but I would rather be a bit low on that side since it helps when I drain the tanks. I also carry a 2 x 10 to use if needed.
The tt I had before this one just had the one SS slide and it settled to the curb side as well. Just not as much.
So I think it's normal what your experiencing. Too bad you feel disapointed with this issue. To me, it's no big deal.
Kind of what mtnguy said, when you consider how much weight is being shifted, I would be concerned if it didn't settle to that side.
Thanks, maybe I was expecting too much.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #15

I have the same unit. 2011 30wfkss and have experienced the exact same thing. I just figure when I set up make sure my slideout side is half a bubble higher than the other side and it works out perfect after slides are out. I do know your frustration though cause it took me a couple times to figure out why my bathroom door would always swing open when not latched and I was thinking I was still level. I found that one link leveler under each tire on tipout side on a level site is just right. I think they are 1-1/2" tall.
wfkssvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfkssvlite View Post
I have the same unit. 2011 30wfkss and have experienced the exact same thing. I just figure when I set up make sure my slideout side is half a bubble higher than the other side and it works out perfect after slides are out. I do know your frustration though cause it took me a couple times to figure out why my bathroom door would always swing open when not latched and I was thinking I was still level. I found that one link leveler under each tire on tipout side on a level site is just right. I think they are 1-1/2" tall.
Thanks for the info. Did you have any concern for the weight on the tires on the slide side? If so, did you go to a higher rated tire?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
Wanna Be Camper

Our 30WRLS V-Lite has 2 slides on one side and I actually like that it drops the slide side abit. That way when it rains the water runs to the outer edge of the slide and down and off vs coming down the slide seals and potentially getting in the side of the unit. The trailer does not have to be perfectly level and IMO you would not notice it inside anyway. But everyone is different and has different expectations.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Our 30WRLS V-Lite has 2 slides on one side and I actually like that it drops the slide side abit. That way when it rains the water runs to the outer edge of the slide and down and off vs coming down the slide seals and potentially getting in the side of the unit. The trailer does not have to be perfectly level and IMO you would not notice it inside anyway. But everyone is different and has different expectations.

X2....I agree with TheSasks & what everyone else is saying. That is a huge weight shift to one side. The slide on our 21ss makes up ¾ of the length of the trailer & extends almost 36" - I expect the weight shift and level the trailer accordingly. I also like a small "lean" to the outside for shedding water away fromt the trailer side. I see no reason to be concerned that your unit has a mechanical defect. You may also find that you may not have to compensate at all for this depending on how level the site is you are using @ any given campsite.

Wife - Kaede & Gidgee (Our Girls)
BigDogD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogD View Post
X2....I agree with TheSasks & what everyone else is saying. That is a huge weight shift to one side. The slide on our 21ss makes up ¾ of the length of the trailer & extends almost 36" - I expect the weight shift and level the trailer accordingly. I also like a small "lean" to the outside for shedding water away fromt the trailer side. I see no reason to be concerned that your unit has a mechanical defect. You may also find that you may not have to compensate at all for this depending on how level the site is you are using @ any given campsite.
My previous TT had a small slide, so I guess I'm over reacting.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #20
I just tow the TT for DW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfkssvlite View Post
Our Windjammer has 2 slides on the same side, and we could not get it quite level on our first two trips out. Finally, on this 3rd trip we are on, we did the exact same thing as wfkssvlite described. We used one link leveler on the slide side as well, and FINALLY, we are level inside!

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote