Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
I have always wondered where this 'ST tires have reinforced sidewalls' came from. Ever watched your ST tires seem to almost come off the rim while making a tight maneuver? Ever pushed on the sidewall of an unmounted ST tire? I watched a fella on You Tube the other day cut an ST tire in half. After cutting the bead with a bolt cutter he cut the sidewall with a razor with amazing ease. I then watched another video on You Tube of a chap selling 19.5 inch wheels and tires pointing out how sloppy the sidewalls on ST tires are.

The Goodyear Endurance tire does appear to have added some beef to their sidewalls, which makes them (to me) a very strong candidate in the ST market.
If sidewall "stiffness" is the only important characteristic why don't we just start using Forklift Tires. Some of them have NO sidewall, just rubber molded on a steel sleeve and to replace the worn rubber you just put the wheel in a presss. New "tire" pushes the old off the wheel. Just think. No more tire pressure checking as well as no more expense of TPMS.

You won't like the ride though.

The ST tires DO have stronger construction so they can carry more load. Usually because the cord material is larger in diameter but it could be just a stronger material. Load carrying capabilities compared to similar P-Metric (passenger) tires and the most important characteristic, resistance to sunlight and all the other factors that cause a tire that spends most of it's life just sitting, from rotting.

As for "stiffness" when not mounted? That's as reliable a test as squeezing an avocado or thumping a melon to make sure you are getting a good one. Then again, anyone can make a YouTube video but how many follow ASTM standards when testing? I'll bet the number is -----------Zero.

BTW, Goodyear publicly states that the sidewall construction of the Endurance uses larger diameter cord material. Greater tensile strength but unless one uses steel cording it can be easily cut with a razor blade.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #62

I've towed a travel trailer and/or fifth Wheel fitted with ST tires for 29 years and never had a problem.

According to "TRAILERLIFE.COM" Use of non-ST tires should only be done at the recommendation of the trailer manufacturer. There is no shortage of “experts” online who will swear that ST tires are a conspiracy and that LT tires are better for trailering, but problems with ST trailer tires are likely to stem from not properly maintaining tires, running them underinflated, speeding or a plethora of other trailer-tire mishandlings. We are going to go with the recommendations of the trailer makers and the tire industry.
J Autry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post

The Goodyear Endurance tire does appear to have added some beef to their sidewalls, which makes them (to me) a very strong candidate in the ST market.
GY has added, what I call an insert, to the sidewalls of their Endurance trailer tires. They call it a scuff guard. It's a durability item. It, in no way, adds strength to the tire. Just weight and some degree of sidewall protection.

Tags
light, tire, tires, trailer, truck