Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Like an Easter egg hunt

We recently picked up our 2019 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS from the dealer in DesMoines (RV One) that we ordered it from. Would not order anything from them again. The only thing they were interested in is selling us an extended warranty and seeing our taillights.

Now about the Easter egg hunt. The walk thru we got at the dealership was a total waste of time, the person showing things to us had very little knowledge of the unit.....like where the water filter was. Once we got it home we looked high & low for among other things where the water filter was. We even called Flagstaff....where did you hide the water filter? Got the usual answer, but still no water filter.

I finally just did find it. Buried in the basement next to the furnace. No access panel, no nothing. What a joke.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It is a shame your dealer was so inconsiderate. Like you said, many just want the money and then goodbye.

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to ask questions.
Be sure to fill out your signature so the important information is within each post.

We have the same 5th wheel. It has been one of our better, new unit purchases.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:17 AM   #3

So....5picker....where is your water filter? I hope it is somewhere you can actually service it.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

It was like yours, in the basement compartment behind a panel that needs unscrewed.

Fortunately, our dealer experience was completely different.
When we picked up ours, they had already unscrewed the panel and had it open to show me the filter, water pump, water heater by-pass valves etc.

Removing the filter was one of my first mods. I did like so many others here have done. They are prone to leaking (at the most inopportune time) so I eliminated it and use a filter at the spigot but I've done that for years anyway since many older units didn't have on-board filters. There are tons of posts here about leaking water filters, especially the FR1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr1.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	174055  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
We recently picked up our 2019 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS from the dealer in DesMoines (RV One) that we ordered it from. Would not order anything from them again. The only thing they were interested in is selling us an extended warranty and seeing our taillights.

Now about the Easter egg hunt. The walk thru we got at the dealership was a total waste of time, the person showing things to us had very little knowledge of the unit.....like where the water filter was. Once we got it home we looked high & low for among other things where the water filter was. We even called Flagstaff....where did you hide the water filter? Got the usual answer, but still no water filter.

I finally just did find it. Buried in the basement next to the furnace. No access panel, no nothing. What a joke.

It's amazing how fast you go from being the dealers best friend to an annoyance once the check slides across the table.

And people have the nerve to tell me I am too hard on dealers. HA!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:19 AM   #6

So they've been building these things like this from the get go? Unreal. That's the best they can do?
In order to service/replace the water filter on this unit you need to remove a five or six foot panel/wall (that also has a heat duct mounted to it). Then you get to crawl into the basement and somehow reach a few feet into the 'innards' of the basement to get to the filter. If it weren't so ridiculous it'd be funny.
Obviously, I now am looking at eliminating the factory filter myself. Perhaps Forest River could include instructions on how to do so with these units.
Does anyone have a more bizzare filter location than this.....it might help comfort me knowing it could be worse.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:38 PM   #7

Wow! Sure happy to see that I'm not the only one with the same issues and I live in Canada.
Just picked up our 2018 Forest River 16BH E-Pro, and was very disappointed with amount of info the dealer and FR Service had, still don't know where the water filter goes even though they supplied a cartridge for it. I have a propane quick connect on the unit which is useless because it won't work with the Coleman propane stove that was suppled (needs those light camp bottles), could open the door when we got home because the kick plate was misaligned (you would think the Dealer did a service check, don't think they did) and on and on, new Easter Eggs everyday, Rockwood/Forest River quality control must be not exist. So Far not impressed. Thanks for your post.
Dusty-Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

On every unit purchased with an in-house filter the 1st mod was removing and bypassing it!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #9

With my head in the basement of our brand new RV, pondering the task/headache that I paid a fair amount of money for (removing the factory water filter), it dawned on me that Forest River is missing out on a great money making opportunity.

They should be offering a water filter 'delete' option, for maybe $100? Knowing what I know now, I would have taken them up on it in a heartbeat.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #10

Speaking about model FR1. Has anyone found a filter on Amazon for this model or do you have to go through the manufacturer?
Skeeter63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter63 View Post
Speaking about model FR1. Has anyone found a filter on Amazon for this model or do you have to go through the manufacturer?
Oh, it's available on Amazon... The issue is no one wants to pay the ridiculous price.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
At the Goshen national rally they are 3 for $35 last time I was there. A Good deal actually. They work great! Need to make sure they are tightened to the arrow, not like the picture posted earlier in this thread.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
At the Goshen national rally they are 3 for $35 last time I was there. A Good deal actually. They work great! Need to make sure they are tightened to the arrow, not like the picture posted earlier in this thread.

That is a good deal.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Oh, it's available on Amazon... The issue is no one wants to pay the ridiculous price.

So, have you found a cheaper version?
Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
Kasual Kamper

Yes. I have an external filter I now use that takes $5 standard cartridges.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote