Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #1

Likes and dislikes of TT after our first camping trip

So we have had our TT since January and took it out on our first trip recently. This is our first TT after camping in a pop-up for 6 years. It sure is different actually camping with a TT than just being inside of it. One big surprise and dislike is the fact that the DVD player is situated above the dinette on the side wall. The tv swings out so it can be seen anywhere in the camper but when we got cozy in bed and went to watch a DVD, we found out that you can't use the remote to change anything while watching a DVD because of the position the DVD player is in. We tried to bounce the signal off the wall, but it won't work. Another surprise is how small it feels inside while camping. It actually feels smaller than our pop-up. Our pop-up was a 12' box with a slide-out dinette. With the slide-out and the open feeling of all the windows of it, made it feel larger than the TT. We spend most of our time outside while camping so really the only thing that's difficult is changing clothes. One other thing I discovered is that when brushing my teeth, when bending over to rinse, you have to dodge the bottom of the medicine cabinet while your butt hits the door If there's barely enough room to brush your teeth, there certainly is not room to change clothes in there. The one thing I do love is the big fridge and having a freezer for ice cream I did try out the oven. We didn't have any problems getting the pilot light lit but I baked biscuits and the bottoms were burned halfway through. I'm going to use the pizza stone idea and also turn down the temp. whenever I bake.
So over-all we are happy with it. We originally wanted one with a slide-out but found a good deal on this one locally so we bought it. Another thing we liked about it was the fact it has bunk beds where our grown kids or grandkids can sleep if they camp with us. It's too bad the weight limits are only 150 pounds. We didn't know that until after we bought it so they are mostly for the grandkids to sleep on. If we find that my husband and I are mostly just using it by ourselves, we will probably get something different in a few years.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

I find myself wishing for larger fresh, grey, and black tanks on our 29ikts
mr_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #3

These days they are making units with opposing slides that really open up the living area. We're looking at several different bunk house models with larger bunks, that have larger weight limits. One such is the Winnebago Ultra Lite 28DDBHS. It's currently tied for the top of our list. It seems we can't get everything in one package. It's our favorite but not available with a second air conditioner... a must have down in this neck of the woods. There are others with nearly identical floor plans with the second A/C available. Our current TT is cramped, even with a slide. It's a long slide with the couch and wardrobe in it, but it only goes out about 18". One of my pet peeves is the size of the tanks. I have yet to use the fresh water tank and this is our second TT. I guess in some places there's no water hookup, so it's a necessary item. The gray tank size is one thing I look for when looking at new TTs. My current one has 2 gray tanks, one for the bath and one for the galley. Except for having 2 stinky slinkies and a Y-adapter to hook up, it's better, but still not optimal. So far we haven't been rained in for too long at a time. It's roomy enough for the two of us but when we take one of our grown kids, their spouse, and a grand child or 2, it's too much... A short 5 years ago, we had no grand children, and now we have 6... and suspect there may be yet another on the way, but nobody's talking... yet...

Don't wait too long to trade up... think of the memories you can make with family and friends. Safe travels...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #4

I am curious as to where you found the weight capacity of the bunks? I haven't seen anything on mine that references it.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #5

When we first started, we also looked at something for when we had the grandkids and friends stay over. In 10 years, we can count on the fingers of one hand when that happened. If you are retired or have no kids living at home, buy for yourselves.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #6

how many does it sleep?

No matter the size of our RV's, over the years I have always had the same answer to the question "How many does it sleep?"
My reply: "2".
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

Tip on baking get an airbake cookie sheet for under you baking pan. No more burnt biscuits :-)
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #8

We have the same issue when using the bathroom sink... bend over, your tush hits the door. We had a Pop-Up for 16 years before we moved to the TT. I miss the breeze. Windows in the TT are just not great for getting the outside air in. We leave the bathroom fan on to try to pull in the outside air, but it's not so great. The lack of fresh air movement, however is a VERY small price to pay for the "no more canvas". Now, when we hear the patter of rain drops in the middle of the night, we can just smile and roll over...

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
LA-Lower Alabama Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstanger View Post
Tip on baking get an airbake cookie sheet for under you baking pan. No more burnt biscuits :-)
Thanks for posting the tip - do you know what size pan you have for your RV oven? Our trailer is at a storage unit so it would be harder for me to measure it and I would like to get one before our next trip.
mysticks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

We have a 2012 23lb and love it. Of course a slide would be great but we will wait for that on the next camper.

As far as weight capacity on the bunks, I thought I've read in this forum they are around 300 lbs. although they are really meant for kids. There is no way I could get in the top bunk without going head first and coming out feet first.

We don't have any trouble with our DVD player. It is mounted on the same wall as the fridge not the outside wall.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
KJPapa

Pizza Stone

We have found over the years that the pizza stone in the oven makes a huge difference no matter what you are cooking in the oven. This has been the case in four different units: 2 TT's and 2 5th wheels. After the first one we put it in when we change units and never take it out.
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #12

We opted for small Hybrid, Roo 19. When the ends are down, it feels more open and airy than a hardside. Would like a slide out next time for more open floor space.
donjbray56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #13

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Mysticks1....I found 4 unglazed tiles at The Home Depot. They measure about 5 inches square. Just put 4 of them on the floor of the bake chamber, that's above the burner chamber. Make sure they butt together and make sure they don't cover the vent holes. That's really important for whatever kind of insulator you decide on.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstanger View Post
Even better - get a pizza stone that fits over the burner guard..If I could figure out how to put in a fan, I'd have a convection oven

(Yes, I know I could, No I don't want too, Yes it works great with a pizza stone alone )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #15

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Hsvbamabob....I knew I liked you for a reason.......Vietnam era,,,,fellow vet......thanks brother.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
We have a 2012 23lb and love it. Of course a slide would be great but we will wait for that on the next camper.

As far as weight capacity on the bunks, I thought I've read in this forum they are around 300 lbs. although they are really meant for kids. There is no way I could get in the top bunk without going head first and coming out feet first.

We don't have any trouble with our DVD player. It is mounted on the same wall as the fridge not the outside wall.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I thought I read the samething on here. That is why I was curious where the 150# number came from?
We love our 23LB. I have no desire for slides. I had a brand new hybrid that leaked like sieve. I wanted no moving parts on this one. So far so good.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #17
2003 Georgetown 325

I had one of those pop-ups. I'd rather kiss my sister than have another one!!
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
When we first started, we also looked at something for when we had the grandkids and friends stay over. In 10 years, we can count on the fingers of one hand when that happened. If you are retired or have no kids living at home, buy for yourselves.
X2 on that
Buy for yourself...not to please the rest of the family that may occasionally come spend a night.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #19

2012 Rockwood MiniLite, 2503S. I promise your tush won't hit the door when you bend over the sink in the bathroom.
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
2012 Rockwood MiniLite, 2503S. I promise your tush won't hit the door when you bend over the sink in the bathroom.
X2! The bathroom space was the clincher for the DW!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping