Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Site Team
Originally Posted by sanyo9 View Post
I have the same issue, I think. My motor stopped working by stopping lowering the jacks very slowly, as if the battery was going dead. I have taken mine apart and it looks the same as your picture. Any tips you can give me for cleaning it up? Were you able to remove the lower plastic piece? Thanks.
If you are talking about the part that houses the brushes (red arrow in the pic). IIRC, I just unscrewed the wires and bolts holding it and slid it forward enough (direction of yellow arrow) to get enough room to pull/replace the brushes and springs and clean the commutator. (see pic below of DC motor)

You have to be careful when sliding it back into place and hold the spring loaded brushes back to allow them to fit back over the commutator. I think I just did it very slowly with some little screwdrivers inserted into the side, pushing back the brushes. You don't want to break/chip the carbon brushes.

I always recommend taking digital photos (with your camera or phone) before disassembling anything, so you can look at them later to make sure you put it back together right.....especially when anything is wired.

Just take your time and clean the commutator and armature with a fine emory cloth. It doesn't have to be perfect, just better than what you see in my original pic. Be careful when cleaning the inside of the magnet (red part of the dc motor pic that the armature slides into). The magnet is mounted inside the motor sleeve. You can clean it up with a rag if there are no hard rust deposits from the armature left in it. Don't sand anything plastic
Attached Images

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I used to be addicted to time travel, but that's all in the past now.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I bought and installed the little compartments for the rear stab. jack switch and the landing jack switch. Can't understand why any mfg would put non-water tight switches on the side of a camper. That is totally asinine.

Can you share where you purchased? We're in the same area....

2011 Flagstaff 831QBSS
held on by Reese Dual Cam
pulled by 2005 F-350 Lariat DRW 6.0 PSD
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Next question.

Is it normal for these motors to make a loud noise while going up/down? Mine would wake the dead!
If I pulled into a spot late at night I would wait to lower them until morning. Or if leaving early in the morning, raise them the night before.
Also, on my last trip. Went to lower the front jacks, pushed the switch and nothing happened. While the boss pushed the switch, I pushed down on the driver's side of the jack and it started working. Is this a sign of a problem in the future?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by Cinrock View Post

Can you share where you purchased? We're in the same area....
JR Products V6D02-A White Replacement Hatch : : Automotive
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Have a similar problem with water in a Lippert stab jack motor on our new trailer. Symptoms were different: the motor froze up over night, and I couldn't retract the legs.

Guess I'd better take it apart and dry it out before it gets worse ...

(Hi wmtire, Remember you from the Trailmanor forum.)

brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote