Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
Site Team

Lippert power stabilizer full of water

Howdy everyone. Back in March I reported having some problems with my rear power stabilizer on my 831RLBSS.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post92314

Anyhow, the motor wouldn't work at all at the end of April while at the campground. I used the manual crank handle and went on home. However, I decided to look at it yesterday. I was a little surprised when I removed the rubber boot cover over the motor. There was standing water inside it. When I removed the four retaining bolts that hold the motor to the leg assembly, I literally poured water out of the motor.

Now I had a quandary. It would take me about 6 hours traveling time (2 trips) to take the trailer back for (possible) warranty work and the fuel for 180 miles of travel X 2

I looked at a new motor for this thing and all I can find is the one on the Lippert site for $500. No way Jose'.......not on a trailer barely 6 months old. I also couldn't be for sure it would it even be warrantable, since it being full of water isn't Lipperts fault. I also thought my dealer and I may have a good discussion on just how this happened.

The more I looked at how water got in it, it appears to be a design fault with the installation. There was no drip loop put in the wiring for the rear one...but the front stabilizer motor does have it. The wiring cable sheath also had a crack in it where it enters the motor. I am thinking that water is running down the side of the trailer, under the curved bottom edge somewhat and pouring onto the motor and/or wiring.

I fixed all of this and will continue this boring story in the next post. Just want to basically document this problem, in case any of other members encounter it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Below is a pic of my motor after I took it apart. Look at all the rust on the armature.

I cleaned it all up well with an emory cloth. I also noticed one of the springs for the brushes was missing.....before I even disassembled it. Hmmm This motor never did work as well as the front one, and that makes me wonder if it was always a little messed up.

I got another spring at the hardware store (most of these store always have a box of motor brushes. I took the spring off of another kind)

Put everything back together....after a bunch of cleaning......and it is working like a new one should.

Probably have about 4 hours of time in it and $3.72 for the other motor brush that I cannibalized the spring off of...........still cheaper than taking it back for warranty (and that may have been a fight to get)

Just letting everyone know, so they can check on theirs and make sure no water is dripping on the motor or getting into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110510_160105 (Medium).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	5758  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up! Will have to keep an eye out for this problem!
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Below is a pic of my motor after I took it apart. Look at all the rust on the armature.

I cleaned it all up well with an emory cloth. I also noticed one of the springs for the brushes was missing.....before I even disassembled it. Hmmm This motor never did work as well as the front one, and that makes me wonder if it was always a little messed up.

I got another spring at the hardware store (most of these store always have a box of motor brushes. I took the spring off of another kind)

Put everything back together....after a bunch of cleaning......and it is working like a new one should.

Probably have about 4 hours of time in it and $3.72 for the other motor brush that I cannibalized the spring off of...........still cheaper than taking it back for warranty (and that may have been a fight to get)

Just letting everyone know, so they can check on theirs and make sure no water is dripping on the motor or getting into it.

Hello wmtire, I am sorry to see you having trouble with the stab motor. I would say that in your case may be a fluke, In May of 2010 we went from the west coast to Washington DC and then down to Mobile, AL and back home and encountered a lot rain, some very heavy and high winds accompaning the rain in Kansas. Then this past April went north thru NV, UT. Idaho, OR and Washington State then back down to CA again over 5 weeks plus, encountered lots of rain and snow and very little sunshine. I say all that to let you know I have not had any trouble with my stab jacks.
Best Regards,
Doug

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. We had a problem with the rear stabilizers but it was switch related. We spent 8 days at the beach with the AC condensation dripping on the switch almost constantly. The switch worked to raise the stabs when we packed up, but continued to try to energize the motor intermittently. I disconnected the switch and dried it out along with a good dose sealant around the switch plate. So far, no further issues.
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #6

Mine was switch related they mounted it on the curved metal behind rear tires and spray from water off tires soaked the switch. I built a encloser over switch and all is well.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #7

Most people would just pay up for a new replacement. Good on ya for taking the motor apart and fixing it yourself!

But one would think these motors should be totally sealed and weather-proof. Another money-saving shortcut from the factory?

I will definitely be checking mine out. Thanks.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Same problem with lippert motor

I have the same issue, I think. My motor stopped working by stopping lowering the jacks very slowly, as if the battery was going dead. I have taken mine apart and it looks the same as your picture. Any tips you can give me for cleaning it up? Were you able to remove the lower plastic piece? Thanks.
sanyo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

Water, stab motor

Good info wmtire, thanks for passing it on.

I will inspect ours soonest.

You would think those motors to be sealed due to the location.

Best regards,
Doug

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

I bought and installed the little compartments for the rear stab. jack switch and the landing jack switch. Can't understand why any mfg would put non-water tight switches on the side of a camper. That is totally asinine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swith Hatch.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	18402  
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyo9 View Post
I have the same issue, I think. My motor stopped working by stopping lowering the jacks very slowly, as if the battery was going dead. I have taken mine apart and it looks the same as your picture. Any tips you can give me for cleaning it up? Were you able to remove the lower plastic piece? Thanks.
If you are talking about the part that houses the brushes (red arrow in the pic). IIRC, I just unscrewed the wires and bolts holding it and slid it forward enough (direction of yellow arrow) to get enough room to pull/replace the brushes and springs and clean the commutator. (see pic below of DC motor)

You have to be careful when sliding it back into place and hold the spring loaded brushes back to allow them to fit back over the commutator. I think I just did it very slowly with some little screwdrivers inserted into the side, pushing back the brushes. You don't want to break/chip the carbon brushes.

I always recommend taking digital photos (with your camera or phone) before disassembling anything, so you can look at them later to make sure you put it back together right.....especially when anything is wired.

Just take your time and clean the commutator and armature with a fine emory cloth. It doesn't have to be perfect, just better than what you see in my original pic. Be careful when cleaning the inside of the magnet (red part of the dc motor pic that the armature slides into). The magnet is mounted inside the motor sleeve. You can clean it up with a rag if there are no hard rust deposits from the armature left in it. Don't sand anything plastic
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I bought and installed the little compartments for the rear stab. jack switch and the landing jack switch. Can't understand why any mfg would put non-water tight switches on the side of a camper. That is totally asinine.
Dunncc,

Can you share where you purchased? We're in the same area....
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #13

Next question.

Is it normal for these motors to make a loud noise while going up/down? Mine would wake the dead!
If I pulled into a spot late at night I would wait to lower them until morning. Or if leaving early in the morning, raise them the night before.
Also, on my last trip. Went to lower the front jacks, pushed the switch and nothing happened. While the boss pushed the switch, I pushed down on the driver's side of the jack and it started working. Is this a sign of a problem in the future?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinrock View Post
Dunncc,

Can you share where you purchased? We're in the same area....
JR Products V6D02-A White Replacement Hatch : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 11-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #15

Have a similar problem with water in a Lippert stab jack motor on our new trailer. Symptoms were different: the motor froze up over night, and I couldn't retract the legs.

Guess I'd better take it apart and dry it out before it gets worse ...

(Hi wmtire, Remember you from the Trailmanor forum.)
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote