Howdy everyone. Back in March I reported having some problems with my rear power stabilizer on my 831RLBSS.
Input needed on Flagstaff 831RLBSS
Anyhow, the motor wouldn't work at all at the end of April while at the campground. I used the manual crank handle and went on home. However, I decided to look at it yesterday. I was a little surprised when I removed the rubber boot cover over the motor. There was standing water inside it. When I removed the four retaining bolts that hold the motor to the leg assembly, I literally poured water out of the motor.
Now I had a quandary. It would take me about 6 hours traveling time (2 trips) to take the trailer back for (possible) warranty work and the fuel for 180 miles of travel X 2
I looked at a new motor for this thing and all I can find is the one on the Lippert site for $500. No way Jose'.......not on a trailer barely 6 months old. I also couldn't be for sure it would it even be warrantable, since it being full of water isn't Lipperts fault. I also thought my dealer and I may have a good discussion on just how this happened.
The more I looked at how water got in it, it appears to be a design fault with the installation. There was no drip loop put in the wiring for the rear one...but the front stabilizer motor does have it. The wiring cable sheath also had a crack in it where it enters the motor. I am thinking that water is running down the side of the trailer, under the curved bottom edge somewhat and pouring onto the motor and/or wiring.
I fixed all of this and will continue this boring story in the next post. Just want to basically document this problem, in case any of other members encounter it.