Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Location of emergency operating mechanism for slide

I have a 2018 Flagstaff Micro-Lite 25BDS that is equipped with a single slide-out. The slide has a u-shaped dinette inside.

When I took delivery the tech handed me a "wrench" much like the one used for the stabilizer jacks (only smaller socket) and said "this is so you can retract the slide if the electrical system fails".

OK, seemed simple except he didn't show me how. I went to the owners manual and it merely tells me to lift a piece of carpet and engage the nut on the gearbox (or some such).

I contacted Forest River and received a prompt reply with a PDF describing the twin motor Schwintek slide. Looks nothing like mine.

Mine has a single tubular motor mounted next to the "rack" of the rack and pinion slide actuator. One motor and the front and rear are kept in sync by a pair of pinion gears mounted on a shaft that engage a rack at the front and rear of the slide. Again, only one motor.

I have looked high and low for any way to access the end of the drive motor that pushes the slide in or out. No visible access. The only thing I haven't done yet is to pull down the underbelly cover.

Does anyone else have this similar setup and knows how to operate the slide if the power system fails?
Front with motor:

Pinion shaft and front rack:

Motor:

This is my first trailer with a slide. My last trailer lasted me 22 years and a lot of miles. I kind of like to get my money's worth. This puzzles me and I'm not too proud to ask for instructions. Please don't take away my "man card" because I have

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

I would imagine it is on the opposite side of the trailer. Should have a hole & a rod sticking out of it.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would imagine it is on the opposite side of the trailer. Should have a hole & a rod sticking out of it.
Well lo and behold.

I went out and took a careful look and there it is. Reason I didn't find it the first few times is the stub of a shaft is next to the rear step bracket and hidden behind a brace/spacer. Looks like some serious bending of the brace/spacer is going to be necessary before I can access that rod.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

You will need to put the opposing slide in first, the shaft works the opposite side slide. The shaft on the passenger side operates the driver side slide and vise versa.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Well lo and behold.

I went out and took a careful look and there it is. Reason I didn't find it the first few times is the stub of a shaft is next to the rear step bracket and hidden behind a brace/spacer. Looks like some serious bending of the brace/spacer is going to be necessary before I can access that rod.

Thanks for the help
Glad to be able to help.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #6

Mine is the same. They didn't give me a tool, and showed me the wrong place to operate it manually. You found the correct one as I eventually did too. On some trailers there is a hole in the frame, usually under the steps, that let's you reach it from the outside with a long tool. But mine isn't that way, it is like yours. I have to crawl underneath and use socket and ratchet.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Thanks been looking for answers for this in a micro Lite 25brds.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #8

I forgot ask you guys with a newer trailer and this type of motor operation. I know where the screw is located, but do I need to disconnect any wiring or the motor prior to screwing it in. Or do I just screw it and nothing more, other than bracing inside to prevent it from sliding out during travel. One more question, with the type of slide components in the picture is this type of rails, etc supposed to be lubricated? I had a tech tell me it was not needed on this type. Thoughts?

Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
I forgot ask you guys with a newer trailer and this type of motor operation. I know where the screw is located, but do I need to disconnect any wiring or the motor prior to screwing it in. Or do I just screw it and nothing more, other than bracing inside to prevent it from sliding out during travel. One more question, with the type of slide components in the picture is this type of rails, etc supposed to be lubricated? I had a tech tell me it was not needed on this type. Thoughts?

It’s a Lippert

Old 12-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #10

Quote:

I think I got it:

1). Disconnect battery power

2) Crank it in

3). Brace it

4) reconnect battery power

Regarding lubrication of a Lippert slideout based on manual:

“They can be washed with mild soap and water to remove road grime (salt, mud, etc). No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the long term dependability of the system.”

Tell me if I should disregard or play by the rule book?

Old 12-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #11

Play by the book.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Regarding lubrication of a Lippert slideout based on manual:

“They can be washed with mild soap and water to remove road grime (salt, mud, etc). No grease or lubrication is necessary and in some situations may be detrimental to the long term dependability of the system.”

Tell me if I should disregard or play by the rule book?

The rack and pinion mechanism on the bottom of the slide is a slow moving device and isn't subject the the same kind of wear as something constantly operating.

Keep the mud and crud off as much as possible helps keep things from jamming. Using grease can attract more than normal.

Be sure to keep the seals clean as well as the portion of the slide(s) that come in contact with the seals. If the side of the slide is dirty, the dirt will embed itself in the seal material and as the slide moves it leaves corresponding scratches in the finish.

A bucket of soapy water will go a long way to keeping seals from wearing and outer finish on slides getting scuffed. wash before retracting for best results.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:33 AM   #13

Thanks

Tags
cat, location, slide