Old 01-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Looking at the 8528IKWS, fifth wheel. Not familiar with the Flagstaff line or fifth wh

Would like input.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 01-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
WFD

The 8528 is a sister to the Rockwood 8289, which we have...they are essentially the identical unit, one is a Flagstaff, one is a Rockwood. Tons of people in this forum own them both...however your question is pretty vague...what in particular are you interested in knowing. A simple search on them in the search bar will turn up tons of results for you as well, but ask away and we will pipe up.
Ours is a 2014, and we love it!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

We bought our 2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS after camping with friends who have an identical unit which is 2 years older. They have had only a few, very minor, problems with theirs and we anticipate the same. So far, my issues have been with the load range C tires (which I just replaced with Goodyear Marathons LR D) and the unfortunate placement of the water filter (which I plan to remove altogether). We recently moved up from a Flagstaff 21FBRS which we absolutely loved!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

How much are you planning to use it. Full time? Once or twice a month/season? What are you planning to pull it with? Most 1/2 tons are great for it but if you have a 250/2500 I would opt for 5/8" substructure flooring. We have the 8528BHSS and as full timers and I needed to float a hardwood floor. The center path started to feel spongy. We have about 50k miles on her and she has served us well. One thing I would do different is look for a floor plan that has the bathroom on the passenger side. Our stairs to the mstbrm is on the drivers side. The black water dump valve has a long (soft) metal rod that I had to modify. The mod was simple but the belly cover needed to be cut and modified also. After removing the T-handle I ran a steel tube (drilled it and cotter-keyed it) over the rod for ridged support, it works! We love our 5r and plan to full time it till I can't drive anymore. Side note story: Leaving a CG one morning our pet ran and I chased him on foot, the wife followed pulling the 5r, she drove down a dead end street, and turned it around and caught up to me. Never have pulled a 5r she did a fantastic job of it.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing. I would be pulling with a 2011 Silverado LT Crew Cab with HD Tow pkg. short bed. As near as I can figure out its towing capabilities is 9500 lbs. Also the hitch weight is 20% ? So does that leave me in the safe range ? I've had some issues with my current TT , Surveyor 23 Sport, but nothing common sence didn't solve. So in general Forest River is good for me.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Had the 8528 IWKS Flagstaff with the diamond package and loved it. No problems in the year we owned it. Pulled it with a RAM 1500 5.7L Short bed Crew cab and a Reese Revolution hitch. Great set up....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
Thanks for sharing. I would be pulling with a 2011 Silverado LT Crew Cab with HD Tow pkg. short bed. As near as I can figure out its towing capabilities is 9500 lbs. Also the hitch weight is 20% ? So does that leave me in the safe range ? I've had some issues with my current TT , Surveyor 23 Sport, but nothing common sence didn't solve. So in general Forest River is good for me.
I could not find towing specs on your truck but be aware that "trailer" towing and "5th Wheel" towing specs are usually different. You will also have to check your Payload rating as well.

You *should* be OK but be aware that towing capacity has dramatically changed since 2011 (i.e., the 2015 Ford F150 HD towing package with EcoBoost can tow a whopping 11,700 LBS!)

We have a 2013 F150 and a 8289WS. When we had our rig scaled last year we were slightly overweight (by 300#) but we had really loaded out the RV for a 3+ week trip and we were dropping off a bunch of stuff in MI before we returned.

Be aware also that we had not even begun to max out the storage capacity of our 5er - you will be AMAZED at the amount of stuff you can stow in your camper! GVWR is, in my reconsidered opinion a joke. I am willing to bet if you filled your new 5er's FW tank, and mindlessly packed everything you thought you would possibly need for a 4 week trip, filled the basement up and all the cabinets, I am willing to bet your trailer weight would come close to 11K pounds! They have that much storage capacity.

Just some food for thought...YMMV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsails View Post
Keep in mind with a short bed truck you will either need to have and activate the Reese Revolution hitch or have a slider hitch....my vote would be the Reese Revolution...if you decide to go TT and not 5th, then you can disregard what I just said.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Keep in mind with a short bed truck you will either need to have the Reese Revolution hitch or have a slider hitch. <snip>

No, you don't.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoZeta View Post
No, you don't.
Well then you have to be very conscientious driver and pay very close attention...

Tags
8528, fifth wheel, flagstaff, wheel