Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #1

looking at used 28RKS-comments?

Hi folks. We are looking into buying a 2005 28RKS and were wondering if any of you more experienced fifth wheelers had any comments, negative or positive. We were told that an f-150 could pull it, but I have concerns about whether this is enough truck. We haven't purchased the truck yet as we want to get the fifth wheel first. We used to have a class C, but the fifth wheel is a whole new ball game for us.
Thanks for any information you all can give.
Annabelle
elua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #2

to the Forest River Forums. I can't help you with your questions but wanted to welcome you. Someone will be able to help out once they read your post.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Rockwood 8281SS

I pulled my 30' rockwood with a 3/4 ton 96 chevy 350. The truck hated the trailer and let me know by its 8 MPG and 60 MPH limits. I got a used 05 Chevy Duramax diesel and its the best puller Ive ever had. Just cruises up hills too. I get 14 MPG pulling and 20 empty. I will NEVER pull with a gas truck again.
steve smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome, Kim! You appear to have a similar rig (different length and year). Are you generally pleased with your RV?
Steve, thanks for the feedback...it confirms most of what I'm reading.
Annabelle
Old 08-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elua View Post
Thanks for the welcome, Kim! You appear to have a similar rig (different length and year). Are you generally pleased with your RV?
Steve, thanks for the feedback...it confirms most of what I'm reading.
Annabelle
Ours is a regular travel trailer and considered an ultra lite. We have been very pleased with it thus far and hope to get many more years out of it before we trade. Until we can get out more than we do, it is perfect for us. We really like the rear kitchen and all the room it gives.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #6

Hi Annabelle, and welcome to the forum! I have an 08 Flagstaff V-lite, 30 ft. with 2 slideouts. We looked at the fiver with the same floor plan, and as far as new goes, we got more camper AND more space for less money- and lighter weight, to boot. The bedroom also slides out on ours.
HOWEVER.... I also have an 06 Ram hemi (348cid) gas engine quad cab shortbed automatic, and like Steve Smith says on his post, GET A DIESEL !!! ALSO, get a heavier duty truck- 2500 heavy duty if possible. Also, be sure the tires are LT tires, not "P" rated for passenger cars. That will virtually eliminate vehicle sway, and feel much better pulling your rig. I too get about 8 mpg., and pull at around 60 mph., at BEST. Do yourself a favor, and go bigger on your tow vehicle, or go smaller on your camper, and you'll be much happier in the long run. Thanks, and GOOD LUCK!!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #7

Thanks Randy. You all are great on this forum!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #8

i agree with most on here get a bigger truck you wont be sorry

Tags
flagstaff