Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Loose awning struts

OK, I did something dumb while in a hurry and left the grab bar out while retracting the awning. The bar is bent, no big deal, but the awning strut is a little loose. I just had to retract the awning in slightly gusty wind as it seems to be getting more loose. The strut moves in the wind and when it's retracted I have to push a bit to get it to line up in the wall bar. The motor works fine just this slight misalignment. Thanks for your help!!

thinkinghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #2

Just get the number off of it and take it to Napa auto parts, it will be a lot cheaper then going to an RV outlet. They can order it for you or probably have one in stock they are all the same except for the travel lengths.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinghat View Post
OK, I did something dumb while in a hurry and left the grab bar out while retracting the awning. The bar is bent, no big deal, but the awning strut is a little loose. I just had to retract the awning in slightly gusty wind as it seems to be getting more loose. The strut moves in the wind and when it's retracted I have to push a bit to get it to line up in the wall bar. The motor works fine just this slight misalignment. Thanks for your help!!
Not sure what you are refering to, so can't provide any input. Pictures please. Grab bar and awning strut interferring in some way?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

Glad to see I am not the only one that does not get what the problem is / was. On my RV the grab bar and awning are completely out of the way of one another.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

Explaining terminology for awning struts

Sorry, guys, I have poor reception where we're camping right now so just got back online. Beside the steps is an assistance rail (better word) to grab to help climbing the steps or laid to the right or left side. The awning struts are stored right beside the door with the rail and I left the rail lying against the wall with the awning out. Bad--because when I hit the awning retract button the rail was lying across where the strut had to go. The strut bent the rail and slightly messed up the structure of the strut as it's loose when the wind blows. So, I hoped there would be a way to tighten the strut connections. A picture wouldn't do any good. I must be the only person to try to close the awning with the blooming step assistance railing lying on it?! Thanks for your help!!
thinkinghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinghat View Post
Sorry, guys, I have poor reception where we're camping right now so just got back online. Beside the steps is an assistance rail (better word) to grab to help climbing the steps or laid to the right or left side. The awning struts are stored right beside the door with the rail and I left the rail lying against the wall with the awning out. Bad--because when I hit the awning retract button the rail was lying across where the strut had to go. The strut bent the rail and slightly messed up the structure of the strut as it's loose when the wind blows. So, I hoped there would be a way to tighten the strut connections. A picture wouldn't do any good. I must be the only person to try to close the awning with the blooming step assistance railing lying on it?! Thanks for your help!!
No fear, This happened to another member recently.

New awning and rail fixed the problem if I recall correctly.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
No fear, This happened to another member recently. New awning and rail fixed the problem if I recall correctly.
It was DAISY BOYKIN in this post...

Trouble with awning poles

The awning poles were not the issue, DB was joking, the awning was closed on the fold-up hand rail, messing up both.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the clarification of how it happened. Good luck with the repair.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Denver, CO

I noticed that bottomdollarsurplusinc on EBAY has some supports that may fit yours. Just an idea.

Tags
awning