Old 11-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #1

Loud Heater- Is it common?

We have a 2017 Flagstaff 8524 RLBS, and the propane heater is exceptionally loud. We have visited the dealer with the complaint and they found a loose mount, and fixed it, but it still vibrates the whole coach when it runs.
The dealer said that it is the design of the trailer, because the heater is mounted vertically, versus flat, and this is not how the heater is supposed to be mounted. They said there is no way to fix it.
Out of curiosity I checked the noise level with it running, and it is 79 decibels when it cycles. It is loud enough to wake me up when it starts.
Anyone else have this issue? Also, if you have a similar trailer, could you check to see how loud the heater is?
I am concerned I am getting the run-around, and if I need to elevate the complaint.
Thank you.

spydunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydunks View Post
We have a 2017 Flagstaff 8524 RLBS, and the propane heater is exceptionally loud. We have visited the dealer with the complaint and they found a loose mount, and fixed it, but it still vibrates the whole coach when it runs.
The dealer said that it is the design of the trailer, because the heater is mounted vertically, versus flat, and this is not how the heater is supposed to be mounted. They said there is no way to fix it.
Out of curiosity I checked the noise level with it running, and it is 79 decibels when it cycles. It is loud enough to wake me up when it starts.
Anyone else have this issue? Also, if you have a similar trailer, could you check to see how loud the heater is?
I am concerned I am getting the run-around, and if I need to elevate the complaint.
Thank you.

I don't have a decibel meter so I can't give you my readings. But, what really concerns me is that you say it vibrates the whole coach. Is the source of your loud heater just the blower running or is the vibration adding to the noise level? The heater SHOULD NOT vibrate unless the blower fan/wheel is out of balance. This could be caused by several factors.....1) It could be loose, 2) It could be bent or missing fins, 3) Something built a nest on it such as mud dobber bees or mice nest & now that debris is causing an out of balance condition.

If you don't want to tackle the inspection yourself, I would insist that the dealer disassemble it and check it further!

Depending on the type of TT & the location of the heater the sound from the blower can be quite loud. They do have pretty good air flow if installed correctly and the blower noise is what it is to obtain that flow.

Good luck & keep us informed.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

RV furnaces are typically pretty loud. The noise comes mostly from the air movement, not actual vibrations emulating from the unit itself. I've owned 12 different RV's of all types and have never heard or felt that the furnace was excessively vibrating so it does appear the mounting method used on your furnace is an issue! If not the mounting, then you have a defective or unbalanced blower fan.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

That was my impression, was an out-of-balance fan wheel. Iíll try to attach a video of the sound. Just curious if others with this orientation of heater mounting are having this issue.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Like the others have said, furnaces are somewhat loud.
Remember, all these appliances are housed in the 'box' we inhabit so it's not like a S&B home where the HVAC system can be in a completely different area from where you are.

I believe every trailer/motorhome I've had, the furnace has awoken me until I go used to the sound it emitted.

With that said, if it is "vibrating the whole coach", something is amiss.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #6

Was next to a brand new couger, noise outside was very loud. The owner listened to my silverback and is not loud, then he called couger and dealer and was told that the silverback costs more than couger, so the parts are cheaper and that's what you get.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

This is our 4th travel trailer, but the first with ducted heating and AC. The amount of vibration that the unit is putting off is surprising. I can believe a little more vibration from a vertical orientation, but this is significant.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #8

I will say our 2018 Cherokee 304 is fairly quite. No vibration and very little noise from under the cabinet where it's mounted. I agree with a lot of the post that say the blower is off balance, and the fact that the OP stated that the furnace is not mounted the way it is supposed to be. Vertical vs Horizontal.
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #9

Here is the link to the video. It is black, and is just for the sound.
https://youtu.be/6zg1R4_62Wg

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #10

Sounds like a gas lawn mower. Not right. It is vibrating. Something is out of balance.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Sounds like a gas lawn mower. Not right. It is vibrating. Something is out of balance.
Agreed. That is terrible... something amiss.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
This is our 4th travel trailer, but the first with ducted heating and AC. The amount of vibration that the unit is putting off is surprising. I can believe a little more vibration from a vertical orientation, but this is significant.
This is your 4th RV and all the others were "Down Dump A/C and Direct Exit heat",that also means they had Small 4 blade Ex Fans in the Bath,and Kitchen that were VERY Noisy and moved Very Little Air! If your 2017 Flagstaff with "Ducted Air,ducted Heat,whisper Quite Bath Fan,Plus VIBRATES the entire unit " you have a REAL Issue for Flagstaff to FIX! The "Dealer/Stealer" is giving you the Runaround! Youroo!!
Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #13

I don't know your wishes/capabilities nor am I sure of how the heater is installed... vertical/horizontal ?? My minor experiences tell me I would pull the heater and diagnose what's wrong with it. Then order the new fan blade/squirrel cage and be done with it. The only possible other solution is to repair the damaged/dirty piece. I am guessing dirt daubers have built a nest or the unit was dropped before installation and bent the blower wheel. I learned that arguing with the dealer on a small repair isn't worth the effort. YMMV
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #14

Furnace in our mh is annoying. I close the bedroom door when using it. Better yet is to use fan on low and employ an electric heater. Cheaper and less noise.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #15

The heater is loud, but the file you attached sounds like it has a bad bearing in the fan. It is not the normal loud fan sound. I would have the dealer fix the issue.

You can also call the furnace manufacturer (Didn't see which one it was). Talk to them and see if they will discuss it. They will sometimes call the dealer and ship the replacement part or unit directly to them. If not, call Forest River.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #16

Noisy RV Furnace

Quote:
Thank you.
Yes it does sound a bit loud and it sounds like vibration from a spinning motor. My new RV's furnace is louder too than my previous RV but it is more of a sound of the combustion process which is kind-of a bellowing sound as apposed to a constant vibration. However, your motor might not be out of its balance limits. It could be what they call a resonance condition in which the panel or board on which the furnace is mounted just happens to be in tune with the motor's rotor speed. Aircraft manufacturers try to design out such resonances but RV manufacturers are probably not that sophisticated. Anyway, if that's the case, the motor sound is amplified via a sounding-board effect. If you can get to that mount surface and stiffen it a little with some extra screws or slip some rubber spacers between it and the coach's frame, it might help. Or, you could do like we do and live with it. The roar of the ACs and the furnace actually help me sleep. Of course, it's nice to know I have an active CO2 and propane detector in the coach to warn me if any problems.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #17

FYI. There is an decible meter app you can put on your phone. Works siprisingly well. Google
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #18

Is your furnace ducted or does it blow from just one source? A ducted furnace should be fairly quiet while a non ducted one can be loud.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #19

Thanks pdq, thatís what I used as a decibel meter.
OldBob, it is ducted, and I expected it to be fairly quiet, but it is not. Now to figure out why.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #20

I wouldn't even bother with the dealer, but instead contact the manufacturer of the furnace. Being that your unit is a 2017 model, the furnace should still be under warranty by the manufacturer. The furnace manufacturer can give you the name and address of a local shop that can repair or service it. These shops have trained mechanics that work on those units every day. Your dealer most likely has someone that he hired off the street with little or no training. You should have received a warranty card for the furnace in your paperwork that came with the RV. Send the warranty card in or enter the information via computer prior to taking unit in for repair.

Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater