Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

LP changeover and slideout fuse questions

First question: I was checking my LP tanks change over and noticed male (around 1/4") male extension between changeover indicator and output hose. It appears that there should be some type of small plastic cover (around 1/4") over this extension. What is this? I checked with my dealer and the tech said that this was not really a problem. It is a cover for the LP Allen wrench adjustment screw which is located inside extension. It is a Avangna Group type 924N. He said I could go to any hardware store and get a 3/8 brass or plastic cover. I went to Ace hardware, but they had no idea what I was talking about. Does anyone, know where I could get a cover or how to contact the manufacturer?

Second question: I have owned my TT for about little over a year. I was retracting my bedroom slideout and it blew a 30 Amp fuse which is an in line fuse located near the TT frame. About 6 months ago a 30 amp fuse blew when retracting the living room slide. There a separate inline 30 amp fuse for each slide which each one has blown only one time while retracting the bedroom or living room slide. The in line fuses appear to be going to a small box (1"X1") metal box. I think this box is a resettable type breaker, then to battery disconnect, then to battery. What could be causing these fuses to blow? I checked battery voltage (not while retracting slides) which was 13.16 volts but I was plugged into shore power (30A) when retracting each slide. Also, while retracting the bedroom slide the A/C turned on just as BR slide finished retracting. When plugged into shore power do the slides run off battery (12V) or shore power (120V) or through converter. How are the slides powered?
How many amps do the slides normally pull when retracting or putting out?
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Site Team

The regulator is a Cavagna Group type 924NRV. The opening you see is the pressure adjustment screw and the opening should be covered. While it won't leak, it keeps dirt and bugs out of the internals. I'm not sure, but looks like you need a 3/8" NPT pipe plug. If you could find a plastic one it would be best.

For the slides, they're technically powered from the battery, but when connected to shore power the converter is charging the battery so it's indirectly powering the slides.

There are lots of things that could cause the fuses to blow. Loose connections are a common cause. The slide mechanism binding during travel can cause it. Also a low battery can cause them to blow.

When was the last time you lubed the slide mechanisms? If it[s been a while, I'd suggest giving them a good lubing, and run them in and out a few times. Don't just lube the gear and teeth, lube the entire slide mechanism.

I'd also suggest tracing the wiring and remake all the wiring connections between the battery and the slide motor.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #3

Bama Rambler,
I tried a 3/8" NPT brass pipe plug but it was way too large. That is what the tech at the dealer told me, that was 3/8". Then I tried 1/4", it was just a little too large. Kind of odd, because I measured 3/8" across. So in my garage, I found a plastic red wire ending screw on plug (not sure what it is called). It screwed on OK, so I guess that will work.

I will lube my slide out. I has been a few months which I used silicone spray. I will also trace and check the wire connections. I did check my battery, it seems to be OK at 13V. I checked the connections at the battery and where the fuse wires connect to an in line resettable type breaker. I also checked the connections at the battery turnoff switch. But I should do is take the wires loose and put some contact grease at the connections. But I need to trace and check back to slides. Today, I moved my slides in and out about 3 times but did not blow any fuses.
Thanks for your help and tips. I will try your suggestions.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Why not get a couple of auto resetting circuit breakers from auto parts store....and a can of dry lube for the slides
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Site Team

I would personally trace the wires back to the slides and remake any connections I found. It may not be needed, but I've seen a lot of bad terminations in RV's so I like to remake them all.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

This morning, I lubed (silicone) the slide mechanism as much as possible, the gears and rods that were on the outside. I disconnected and reconnected wires that went to auto-reset circuit breaker, battery disconnect and the battery. The wires that go back into slide are covered with spray foam as they they go into bottom of slide. It would be a major project to remove the bottom slide cover. I used 303 spray wax on the slide seals. I retracted and put out slide 6 times with no problem. Hopefully, this will take care of it.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Spray silicone will be gone in no time....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, slide, slide out