Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

LP gauge

This is our first TT and getting to know some thing about it. Is there something I can do to watch the level of LP gas. My 26rlss has 2 tanks that will switch when one is empty. But how will I know if they are close to being empty. Is there a gauge that will fit under the cover?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

I just bought one of these. Going to put it on tonight to see how well it works. There were some not so good reviews for it on Amazon, but I'm a believer...
Tvl International Llc - GasWatch Propane Level Gauge - Propane Accessories - Camping World

Old 10-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #3

Also bought one of these to put on the same tank to determine the accuracy of both/either.
Lcr Hallcrest - GLI Gas Level Indicator - Propane Accessories - Camping World
Old 10-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

Can a 90 be put on the tank ,so the hose isnt crimped so much??
Old 10-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

Not impressed with either. Going to continue searching as well.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

4 ways (other than a gauge) to tell how full a propane tank is: How to Check the Level of a Propane Tank | eHow.com

I usually just watch the red indicator on the automatic switching regulator. When the tank is empty, the red shows, I manually switch the regulator, and I get the empty tank filled. If I am planning a long trip and think 1 tank is getting low, I will weigh it....I know my empty 30 lb. tanks weight 24 lbs (54 lbs. full) .

Unless you are using a bunch of propane, 30 lb. tanks will last a long time. I have filled my tanks 6 times in the 3 years that we have used our camper. We dry camp most of time. That means the water heater and fridge are on gas, and we use the stove and oven plenty. We do not use the furnace much for camping (because of battery drain), although I will cut it on for a couple of cycles on cold mornings before the missus gets up. I do use the furnace during really cold nights here in the driveway to keep the vinyl floor from cracking. Those tanks seem to last forever.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrye5853 View Post
I just bought one of these. Going to put it on tonight to see how well it works. There were some not so good reviews for it on Amazon, but I'm a believer...
Tvl International Llc - GasWatch Propane Level Gauge - Propane Accessories - Camping World
I bought what looks like the exact same one at Walmart this summer. It seemed to be OK until my camping trip last weekend. Due to the temperature the furnace was running a lot, and I was cooking inside as much as I could. The last night I checked the gauge and saw that it was down 1/2 way into the yellow. I was quite concerned, and decided to get an accurate measurement to see what had more propane; my tank on the trailer or the 5 pound tank I use for the BBQ.

I grabbed my portable scale and measured my tank. As it turns out I still had over 15 pounds in the 20 pound tank.

Fortunately beforehand I had made a note of the full and tare weights of my tanks; and put that on the tank with a label from a label maker so I could read it better than the stamp on the side of the tank.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain to have to disconnect to weigh the tank. But it is also accurate. The one thing if anybody is looking at this scale; you may be asking "yeah, but how do I read the numbers when holding 40 pounds?" Well the scale will automatically adjust until it comes up with a fixed weigh, and then beep at you. Then you set down the propane tank and the numbers stay on the display until you clear them.

I also bought this gauge which should be somewhat accurate, but from the instructions it sounds like it would be easier to disconnect and weigh it. (Tank has to be recently used, water has to be a certain temperature, etc.)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote