Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #1

Made a big mistake

Yep. We went to an RV show over the weekend, as we normally do this time of year. Most years we leave happy that we saw nothing that we would want to replace our current trailer with. Not this time.

We saw a Rockwood 8314SS that caught our eye. It had what they are calling the optional atrium slide, in which most of the slide wall area is glass, which really lets in lots of light along with most of the back being glass where two recliners were, plus two skylights in the roof of the slide. It also had a table and chairs instead of a fixed dinette, which we thought was a pretty good option too, along with two flat panel tv's, one in the living area, and one in the bedroom. The one drawback was not much closet space.

The Flagstaff version of this model is the 831RLSS, which is what I could get at a much better price from my local dealer. We would likely have to order it to get the options we would want, which why I also placed this in the Flagstaff forum.

Now, we have to convince ourselves that we really don't need it, at least not now. It is a little heavy for our current tow vehicle should we load the trailer to the max (which we normally do not do), but that is my argument against getting it. Our other reason not to get it is that we don't get to go much right now, and we do still really like our 26RKS. Of course, we might go more with the larger trailer.

Anyway, that is one of the perils of going to an RV show when you don't really need a new camper. One pops up at you. I'll keep you posted if we take the plunge.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #2

LOL.....that is what we did in early September, we went and just "looked" at a TT and ended up making the deal that day. Had to get a family members truck to go pick it up and take a few trips before we purchased a new Tow vehicle.

We have a few RV shows coming up in Toronto over the next few months. Going to see what goodies we can get for the new Roo.

Good luck on your decision, I know it must be really hard to say NO......Show us some pics when you get it.........lol.

MrSen

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #3

I know of another negitive. The atrium window makes the unit hard to heat and cool. I know some one that had one in there unit and they did not like it at all. They look pretty, but I don't think they are that functional. Just trying to help out

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #4

Thanks Bear. I did not think of that. Cooling would be the biggest issue for us.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 AM   #5

Hokie. Put your mind at ease. I also thought about an atrium slide but where we camp here in the east we couldn't get the benefit. A lot of the sites are just to close for the maximum benefit. However we like the 5ver with the slide out entertainment center and the fireplace. Wife says we're still under warranty with this one though. So I guess will wait to the next show and a new TV to tow with.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #6

We too go to the RV shows here in late winter. We poke around other makes and models then look at newer versions of our Grand Surveyor for possible update ideas. In one model we found new additional overhead cabinets that fit over the entertainment/storage area that exactly match our current cabinet looks. If we could get our hands on them, we would install in our unit. We later checked with The local dealer who did not have that setup on the lot and was unable to help us. We might get some needed information this year to order from Forest River if/when we run across that setup again.
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #7

we too have gone to the rv shows but have been lucky haven't found anything we like better than what we have now.
maybe we arn't going to the right shows?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #8

Well, our cooler heads have prevailed, at least for the moment, so the talk of a new rig is just that, talk. We have also decided to try and use our current trailer more this year and plan on sitting down over the weekend and try to schedule some weekend trips and to heck with whatever might come up, short of emergencies.

Hey farmermark, the vast majority of the shows we attend do not have anything we like better than what we have either, which is usually a good thing. We did find our current trailer layout, and the previous one at a show, but they were several years apart. It took 10 years from our first trailer before we found one at a show that we liked well enough to trade our little 19' one on.

Tags
flagstaff