Old 06-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

Micro Lite 21DS

We're close to pulling the trigger on this unit this week. We've never had a trailer this short before, but since it's primarily just the two of us camping now, the "downsize" makes sense. I was apprehensive about the murphy bed at first, but the extra living space it allows is a big plus. To all you Micro Lite owners, especially 21 DS model, any opinions/suggestions/advice you can offer?

Thanks!!

herd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd fan View Post
We're close to pulling the trigger on this unit this week. We've never had a trailer this short before, but since it's primarily just the two of us camping now, the "downsize" makes sense. I was apprehensive about the murphy bed at first, but the extra living space it allows is a big plus. To all you Micro Lite owners, especially 21 DS model, any opinions/suggestions/advice you can offer?

Thanks!!
we had a 2014 21DS, it was a move up from a 17' Casita, so the improved size was nice, .... it had a standard bed, so w/your Murphy Bed that open space will be even larger, .... if bathroom access it desirable for a "pit stop" while traveling, the swing of the BR door is important, ..... all the pic's we had seen showed that door opening from the left side swinging to the right, which does allow access to BR when slide is in(even though it might be a tight squeeze), ... when our unit arrived, it had that door opening from the right side, swinging to the left(which is blocked from opening when the slide is in, so no access), once I showed the dealer the photos on his website showing that door opening the other way and that we were expecting it to be that way, he reversed that door, ... just something to look at if that is important to yall, ......... we lost it in a total loss accident in Dec. 2014 or we would still be enjoying the 21DS, .... but given the opportunity to re-do and that the bath was just too small for one of us(5'2", 99#'s, go figure), we replaced it with the 25KS, .... a large bath and more kitchen counter space, and that one is finally happy, ....... happy trailering, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Scoundrel

We love ours. If its new maybe you can get the dealer to beef up the fresh water tank supports.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
we had a 2014 21DS, it was a move up from a 17' Casita, so the improved size was nice, .... it had a standard bed, so w/your Murphy Bed that open space will be even larger, .... if bathroom access it desirable for a "pit stop" while traveling, the swing of the BR door is important, ..... all the pic's we had seen showed that door opening from the left side swinging to the right, which does allow access to BR when slide is in(even though it might be a tight squeeze), ... when our unit arrived, it had that door opening from the right side, swinging to the left(which is blocked from opening when the slide is in, so no access), once I showed the dealer the photos on his website showing that door opening the other way and that we were expecting it to be that way, he reversed that door, ... just something to look at if that is important to yall, ......... we lost it in a total lost accident in Dec. 2014 or we would still be enjoying the 21DS, .... but given the opportunity to re-do and that the bath was just too small for one of us(5'2", 99#'s, go figure), we replaced it with the 25KS, .... a large bath and more kitchen counter space, and that one is finally happy, ....... happy trailering, ...
Access to the bathroom has not been a priority for us (knock on wood). Yes, the bathroom is compact, but at least it has a true shower and my knees aren't against a tub while I'm "seated" (which is the case with our current trailer). Sorry about your accident...hopefully all is well now.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
We love ours. If its new maybe you can get the dealer to beef up the fresh water tank supports.
Is this a common issue with this unit?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

I have the 25bhs and it has the Murphy bed, this is the only TT I've owned.

We are really happy with the space the bed leaves when folded.

I am pretty sure you have been in the 21ds physically and saw it. With the slide out extended and the bed folded, it will feel roomy.

Good luck.
Flutooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Murphy bed is comfy. A lil short for the tall guys. I'm 6'1 and it works.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Scoundrel

Quote:
Is this a common issue with this unit?
It is a common problem with many TT, including this one. If you search "Fresh Water Tank Supports" on this web site you'll get a lot of information about the problems that occur. I just finished reinforcing my fresh water tank supports myself. The fresh water tank support issue is not unique to Micro Lites - it is a common problem on a many TT. Again, the Micro Lite is a great TT. But if you're buying new, ask the dealer to beef up the fresh water tank supports.

Rich J.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Access to the bathroom has not been a priority for us (knock on wood).
our issue with bathroom access is very simple, .... when we're traveling for hours at a time on the interstate, we don't see the need to have to wait for the next welcome center, rest stop, Loves, or even Walmart for a quick pit stop, when we're towing a perfectly good bathroom just a few feet behind us, ..... and to be towing that perfectly good bathroom just a few feet behind us and still not be able to use it because of how the door was mounted, makes no sense at all to us, ...... but that's just us, I'm sure not everybody looks at it that way, ..... happy trailering ...........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #10

Love my 21DS.

Murphy bed is definitely the bomb, space-wise. Using a 1.5" memory foam topper on the bed and it is quite comfy.

Also have a 1.5" memory foam topper to fit the dinette. I keep it rolled up and stashed under the dinette and deploy it when converting the dinette to a bed...only 5 min. or so. Really makes the dinette comfortable. Plus the dinette is 84" long so even larger adults fit comfortably.

Inside storage is a challenge. I've added hanging storage both sides of the bath door...inside for towels, etc. and outside for pantry-type goods.

Reefer and bath are blocked when the slide is in but a touch of the button and 20 seconds later and you have full access.

There are 3 steps plus the door entry so the unit sits rather high. Pluses include nice ground clearance for travelling and when camping to stow larger plastic storage containers underneath. Minuses are the 4 steps to negotiate and the higher profile when travelling.

Really roomy for a small trailer. I'm quite happy with it and plan to keep it for while.

Good luck with whatever your choice may be!
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
Kasual Kamper

We just bought our 2013 unit used from a private seller just this past weekend. Only camped overnight one night so far on the trip from picking it up.

We noticed that the window in the middle of the slide does not have a screen. Anyone here resolve that issue? Disappointed that the window in front doesn't even open!

We had lots of storage in our '00 Mallard, so storing in this one is proving to be a challenge. Any tips or tricks in this area would be appreciated.

JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite