Old 05-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Micro Lite Floor repair

The black tank flush system leaked inside the sidewall today and pooled up between the floor and the plastic fabric that covers the bottom of my 21FBRS. I thought it was a one time deal that I could dry out, but when I removed the trim strip along the bottom between the wheel well and rear of the trailer, I found quite a bit of water that looked like it had been there for awhile, and the luan on the bottom of sandwich floor had delaminated and pulled off with the plastic fabric. The trailer is three months out of the two year extended FR warranty. Once I find the leak (I suspect the black tank flush water hose fitting is cracked), any ideas about how to go about repairing the rotted luan part of the floor?

I do have the "free" "Warranty Forever", but it doesn't cover much of anything except appliances, water fittings etc; excludes walls, roofs, frame etc. They might cover fixing the leak, but not the floor.

danking49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #2

21fbrs leak

we have a 2013 21fbrs with wet floor under black plastic liner on right side under shower area. no leaks inside all connections tight. roof has been sealed completely. right wheel well is possibly the issue. there is a space between side wall and wheel well liner. took off wheel skirt off and plan to seal gap with construction adhesive. hope this is the problem. in any event water has to be splashing in from tire into side wall and under floor while driving in rain...

CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danking49 View Post
The black tank flush system leaked inside the sidewall today and pooled up between the floor and the plastic fabric that covers the bottom of my 21FBRS. I thought it was a one time deal that I could dry out, but when I removed the trim strip along the bottom between the wheel well and rear of the trailer, I found quite a bit of water that looked like it had been there for awhile, and the luan on the bottom of sandwich floor had delaminated and pulled off with the plastic fabric. The trailer is three months out of the two year extended FR warranty. Once I find the leak (I suspect the black tank flush water hose fitting is cracked), any ideas about how to go about repairing the rotted luan part of the floor?

I do have the "free" "Warranty Forever", but it doesn't cover much of anything except appliances, water fittings etc; excludes walls, roofs, frame etc. They might cover fixing the leak, but not the floor.
The "Proper way" is lift Everything off the entire floor! That is the way the Factory fix is performed! Youroo!!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #4

Dealer won't even request warranty coverage from Forest River, so I'm on my own. Yeah, Forest River says the only correct way to repair a damaged floor is to replace the whole thing. That's ridiculous. Has anyone tried removing the delaminated luan and replacing it with epoxy and fiberglass mat? Dealer wants to spray undercoater over the damaged area. Small enough area that structural integrity probably isn't an issue; yet. I can't believe there isn't a repair method out there for these luan-foam-luan sandwich panels.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Unless you are a handyman and carpenter, I think you are hosed.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

Dealer was able to repair the floor delimitation by removing the damaged luan and spraying the area with undercoater, then gluing up new waterproof fabric over he whole mess. Forrest River was no help; so $600 out of pocket. Dealer found a small leak around the power connection fitting, but that doesn't explain why the leak only happened while running the black water flush. My best guess is the vacuum breaker valve stuck open one time. It still drips a little, but not enough to account for how much water came on that one time. My fix for that: remove the interior vacuum breaker (as I did with the interior water filter) and use a regular exterior garden hose vacuum breaker to flush the tank from now on. Yeah, it might not meet "code" in some places, but it will do the job without destroying the camper with water damage. I am always amazed at how half-assed RV's are built. Reminds me of Ford Pintos and Chevy Vegas of years past!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #7

What is a vacuum breaker valve

We have a 2013 micro lite 21fbrs and experienced the same issue. Where is it located and what is its function?
CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

It's purpose is to insure the blackwater flush connection can't siphon sewage back into the freshwater system it's connected too. While highly unlikely, it's important that this precaution be taken.

The blackwater vacuum break is located under the bathroom sink. When operating normally it will drip a little bit when the first used, but should stop leaking very quickly. The problem is if it hangs up and continues to leak. Because it is used so infrequently, one solution would be to simply be aware and have someone keep an eye on it while flushing the black tank. I simply found it easier to remove it and use an external vacuum break device (about $5 at any hardware store) on my blackwater flush hose.

Tags
floor, lite, repair