Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

MicroLite 21DS

Thinking about getting this model with Murphy bed. Anyone own one? Pros and cons? Thx in advance.

iMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaki View Post
Thinking about getting this model with Murphy bed. Anyone own one? Pros and cons? Thx in advance.
we had a 2014 Micro Lite 21DS w/out Murphy bed for about 10 months in 2014, lost it in an accident in Dec. of 14,....

pros:
1).. the open space when the slide is out is very nice, and with the MB it would be even larger and nicer,
2).. the location of the tv is great, easy to see from both sides of the table, certainly more convenient than our 25KS now,
3).. rides high, three steps high makes it easy to access and do anything underneath,

cons:
1).. very small bathroom,
2).. small to none, kitchen counter space
3).. on ours, very low payload capacity, just over 700#

these are a few of both, ... the small bath was the biggest con for one of us, they didn't come with the enclosed shower stall in '14', just had a pull curtain,..... it was an upsize from our 17' Casita and we would still be enjoying it, but for the accident, ... after loosing it, we replaced it with a 2015 Micro Lite 25KS, the bath is finally large enough for that one, and she has all the counter space she could ever want, .... plus with increased payload to just over 2000#, the other one of us is happy with that, ....

hope this helps, happy to help anyway I can, just ask, .....

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

We seriously considered the 21DS. We ultimately went with the 21FBRS. Didn't like the bath/shower on the DS. We also didn't like the bed being next to the door or the idea of sitting a long rainy week at a dinnet. The Murphy bed would have been an answer to one issue but not the others. The only thing we didn't like about the FBRS is that there was no dinnet. Since we spend most time outside, we thought we could work around that. We also like the proximity of the refer and pantry to the door on the FBRS.

All-in-all the FBRS was lighter than the DS and that was considered as we are pulling with a Nissan Frontier....for now. We will have to upgrade in the next year or two.
DanMistyMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

one other thought I forgot to mention, .... if bathroom access while traveling is important to you(it was to us), .... be sure the bath outside door knob is on the left side, .... there it is still a tight squeeze but you can get to the bathroom, .... if the knob is on the right side, and the slide is in(as it would be when traveling), the slide will prevent the door from opening and you will not have BR access without running the slide out,....

before ordering our 21DS, all the photos we saw showed the knob on the left side, ... when we arrived to take delivery, that door knob was on the right, so I guess it just depends on who is doing the install of that door, ... we explained what we were expecting and why, and showed the dealer the photos we were going by and they reversed that door before we left with our new trailer, ...

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMistyMiller View Post
We seriously considered the 21DS. We ultimately went with the 21FBRS. Didn't like the bath/shower on the DS. We also didn't like the bed being next to the door or the idea of sitting a long rainy week at a dinnet. The Murphy bed would have been an answer to one issue but not the others. The only thing we didn't like about the FBRS is that there was no dinnet. Since we spend most time outside, we thought we could work around that. We also like the proximity of the refer and pantry to the door on the FBRS.

All-in-all the FBRS was lighter than the DS and that was considered as we are pulling with a Nissan Frontier....for now. We will have to upgrade in the next year or two.

Thank you for your input. The 2017 21FBRS has a Murphy bed/dinette option, but the standard bed is beautiful, so I can see why it's rarely ordered with the Murphy bed.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #6

We have the 2015 21ds with Murphy bed. We like the floor space and sofa with the bed stowed. Nice big dinette. 85" and seating all the way around. As noted, bathroom acess tight and no fridge access with slide in but a touch of the switch runs it out if needed. Hanging closet is used as pantry in ours. We removed the microwave and created a large overhead cabinet. A hard sided shower would keep the bathroom dryer. I think the newer units have a round front on the shower pan for more room. Don't like the electric awning but had no choice on that. Dealer Included a second battery at no charge...a definite must- have. Heated mattress was standard. Added a 3" memory foam topper. Sofa is crowded for 3 but can be done.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #7

MicroLite 21DS

The 2017 model has the hard door rounded shower. Is the hanging closet u referred to the pantry next to the fridge? I've wondered where one can hang stuff. The cabinets on each side of the bed seem short. I do love the wide open space and open floor plan. Feels huge! I've also wondered if there's storage under the sofa and under the dinette behind the drawers accessible from the top under the cushions. Additionally, the bathroom has a nice cabinet behind the toilet. That's a nice change.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #8

Our rear cushion on the dinette can be lifted for storage access but we use the outside access door. The pantry shelves can easily lift out and there is a hang rod in there. We get by with the small closets and drawers by the bed for clothing. There is a drawer that pulls out from under the sofa. I added 12 volt outlets on both sides of the sofa for charging phones, tablets and CPAP. Added a courtesy light by the power panel for late night entry since all the lights are controlled by ceiling switches. No wall switch inside entry door where you would expect one.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
I added 12 volt outlets on both sides of the sofa for charging phones, tablets and CPAP. Added a courtesy light by the power panel for late night entry since all the lights are controlled by ceiling switches. No wall switch inside entry door where you would expect one.
Our 2013 has a switch by the front door that controls the light over the sink. I'd be interested to learn how you wired the outlets on both sides of the sofa (the dinette in my case), because I need to do that.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #10

On the street side I grabbed 12V from the hitch light wiring in the storage compartment. Curb side I tapped off the battery cable on my solar charge controller mounted in that compartment. I could also have taken it off the Zamp wiring.

Tags
lite