Old 04-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Moving from Jayco MH to Flagstaff 5th wheel-questions

I'm curious as to what real differences I'll find with this switch...I've had TT before-years ago and towed with either a car or a van...this will be a new experience, a 5th wheel and diesel as I said, what should I look out for and what real differences will I find??

Thanks for your patience, Larry (aka kopy kat)

kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
You have already seen the differences in size, interior room, height, storage, etc.
The biggest difference though is towing. You now have a far better tow vehicle combined with a trailer that is more forgiving when being towed.
Fivers respond differently to turns, both forward and when backing. They are not anymore difficult, just different. PRACTICE!
Get used to the height of the fiver. Tree limbs, power lines, underpasses are now the enemy and need to be treated with respect.
Hook and unhook are different. Establish a set routine and follow it! A dropped TT is an inconvenience. A dropped fiver is a guaranteed insurance claim.
These are the main things. The rest you will discover as surprises, some pleasant, some not so much.
Basically, I have lived in and towed/driven them all, from pup to monster, and for me at least, the fiver is the best compromise.

TooLoose - WeTrek

04.5 CTD 2500 Dodge 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws
elkabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
A clear view to couple and uncouple is a #1 must (easy does it). A set of bubble levels close to the front elevation button is a good thing. Several water adapters and a good 30amp or 50amp extension cord 40-50ft. additionally a short 50 to 30amp adapter is helpfull. No one is happy after leveling just to find out the 30amp breaker is dead at the pole, but the 50amp is available.
Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote