Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Question Need input on2009 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th wheel

I am thinking of purchasing a Used 2009 Flagstaff 8528RLWS super lite 5th wheel. I have never purchased a FR product before. Any input would be appreciated both pro and con. Is there any problems with this model? Recalls, Delamination problems? Anything I should be aware of?
TIA
Mel
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #2

My advice is to look it over thoroughly, and hook it up to power and water, try all of the systems, check for leaks, climb on the roof and look at the condition, and even under the rig, as well. Some people have very good luck with their F.R. campers, as I have, and a few others have had many problems with theirs. If you don't know much about the camper systems, (hot water heater on gas and electric, AC, power converter, battery power, refrigerator and stove, slide outs and power jacks and awnings as well as the sound system.) Try all this and be sure it works properly, and take somebody else with you that is familiar with campers, and how the systems function, if at all possible. Inspect the tires as well for dry rot and cracks. Good luck with your purchase, and as long as you do these things, you'll be making the best informed decision you can. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #3

The delamination issues were for older trailers, '06 I believe. If there is no sign of it, you should be fine.
We are extremely happy with the quality of our Flagstaff, and I am pretty sure the construction of the '09 should be very similar.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #4

I plan on checking it over thourghly. The Dealer is going to hook it up to power and water so I can test all systems. I plan on looking underneath as well as on the roof and will check all of the electrical as well as having the dealer do a propane leak test. I would like to hear from owners of this model or similar ones. I want all of the info that I can get not being familiar with FR products. I am not new to RVing as I have owed several 5th wheels and class A Mtr Hms. I will also check the date stamp on the tires. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I don't think there are any manuals with the unit. anyone know where I can get one?
Mel
Old 11-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #5

I would assume it is constructed like mine and uses the foam laminated floor. Check for soft spots in the floor, around the heating vents seems to be a trouble spot for this.

tgif: let's RV - HobbyTalk
HobbyTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #6

Thank you for the reply. I done a lot of checking on the unit including running the furnace as it was 38 Deg F this morning. Everything works But there is a small problem the wardrobe slide in the bedroom when retracted comes in over the bed about 3 inch. This makes the mattress very thin for clearance over the top of the bed. There is only 1 inch clearance, so a thick quilt or covering would have to be removed to retract the slide. You could not use a thicker mattress, and the one that comes with it is crap. about 4 inch thick not very good for 2 large heavy people. The awning when I unrolled it is mildewed. No surprise for Austin area Texas. did not notice any soft spots in floor, But think I will probably pass because of the bed and wardrobe slide.
Mel
Old 11-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #7

When we were looking at those models I never even thought to check out the mattress/slideout clearance!
But you know, the new ones are so reasonably priced, why not order exactly what you want? We couldn't be happier with ours.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #8

We are still looking and FR brands are our first choice. Whatever we get has to be light enough to tow with our Ford F150 with 5.4 L engine and tow package. We have a 2004 Nomad model 243 made by skyline. it is 24 foot long and no problem to tow. We just need something a little bit bigger. 27 to 30 ft super lite.
Mel
Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Strange what you mention in regards to the matress/wardrobe slide clearance. On our 2010 Rockwood, the mattress is offset to the roadside of the bedroom to allow room for the wardrobe slide...it just touches the mattress when in. I doubt that you'll find many (or any) campers that have truly comfortable mattresses...you have to add a memory foam topper at a minimum.

As crocus already mentioned, with the price of a new one ($25 - 26K from the big, on-line dealers), why look at a 2 year old camper. With new you get to order exactly what you want and have a 2 year warranty...$150 for the 2nd year.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #10

If you're going to be buying something as large as a 28-footer, just watch the pin weight. Ours is heavy at approx 1600 lbs loaded, which would be a bit heavy for an F150. Other 28 foot Flagstaffs are 1100 lbs or so empty. The 26 foot models are pretty nice, and would be a bit lighter yet.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #11

Update
We Bought it and put a memory foam topper on the mattress. I just could not beat the price. The dealer had it for over a year and it may have been a demo as it could not have been used very much. We Love it.
Mel
Old 12-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #12

Having problem with my slide motors the large one replaced under warranty but now the small one is slipping ,Have not got pricing on repairs yet
hdreby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdreby View Post
Having problem with my slide motors the large one replaced under warranty but now the small one is slipping ,Have not got pricing on repairs yet
So Far no major problems. I did get a 5 year extended Warranty just in case. I don't think the factory does a good job of cleaning up after they build one as I am still cleaning sawdust out of the light fixtures and this is a 2009 model. So far we are pretty happy with the unit.
Mel
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #14

Congrads on your purchase. What did you do with the mattress issue ???
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljag View Post
Congrads on your purchase. What did you do with the mattress issue ???
We put a memory foam topper 1 1/2 inches thick on the mattress. We will have to fold it, the sheets and quilt back about 4 inches on the right side so the wardrobe slide will clear the mattress. We were going to use a air mattress and deflate it when needed to put the slide in, But the memory foam works good and is less trouble. The bed with the wardrobe slide is very awkward to make. I would not recommend this floor plan to anyone because of the wardrobe slide and access to it. Very Very Awkward and the only negative thing I have to say about it.
Mel

Tags
5th wheel, 8528, flagstaff