Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Need some Flagstaff Love (reassurance)

DW and I bought our 14 8528IKWS from the floor of the KC RV show in January. We were not even shopping for a 5er as we had a Jayco WhiteHawk TT and were happy with it. We stepped into the Flagstaff it was love at first sight. The floorplan was what we loved and the extra space is wonderful. It's beautiful both inside and out. Being our first 5er, I'm pleased how it tows if only from the dealership to my house and back.

I had researched a lot prior to buying the Jayco as it was our first RV other than a pop-up. I know nothing about Flagstaff or Forrest River other than I see lots of them at the campgrounds. It's currently back at the dealer for some minor warranty stuff and to get the exterior/interior protection package that was part of the purchase.

I'm a worrier by nature and have been doing a lot of reading on the cursed internet and wonder have I made a huge tactical error. I sold off a TT that I had zero and I mean zero issues with for a unit I no nothing about. Am I fretting over nothing? We have yet to sleep in it so it just sits in the driveway looking awesome. Maybe spending time with her in the campground will alleviate my concerns. Maybe I just need a hug!
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!

Don't fret too much. Its normal to feel that way after shelling out some serious cash, but a little perspective is needed and a bit of prevention goes a long way. Here are a few ideas to relieve your anxiety.

Realize that trailer sites, including ours, can skew your perspective because we exist somewhat to solve problems. Most campers from any manufacturer will have some things that need fixing, while a small number will be actual lemons and a small number will have no problems whatsoever.

Plan to do a thorough inspection of your new 5er if you haven't done one during the pickup with the dealer. A PDI checklist can be found in our library found in the menu bar above.

Also, do some driveway camping or go to a nearby campground soon for a good shakedown cruise. The idea with the PDI and the shakedown is to eliminate the uncertainty. You either find no problems (so no need to worry) or you find some (and no need to worry because now you know and can deal with them under warrenty).

By the way, your Jayco had a two year warranty and FRs is 1 year, but make sure to sign up for the Forest River 2nd year warrenty. Its cheap at $150 or so. You have ten days for that.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

My wife and I have a Flagstaff Classic super lite BH, going on 3 years. Had some initial problems but the dealer backed us and FR made good on it all. We love it and manage to camp 5 or 6 times a year. Have been to numerous RV shows in 3 years, have seen maybe 1 or 2 that we (might) would consider trading for. The Flagstaff is a good RV for camping. If we should ever consider going full time, then I would want an upgrade.
Transplanted Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
NELA

DH and I bought your same model on January 4th. We're FINALLY getting weather OK to camp in this weekend. She's loaded and just waiting on DH to get off work! Yip Yip YAHOO! Fridge is loaded, pantry is stocked, wardrobe is packed...we're OUTTA HERE!

Prior to the 5er we owned a Flagstaff 30IKSS (V-Lite). We only owned it (cringe) 8 months and decided we wanted a 5er instead of a bumper pull

We had one issue with the V-Lite (a fire hazard electrical snafu) and Flagstaff (as well as our dealer) was AWESOME! The correction/fix was first class all the way and those we spoke with at Flagstaff couldn't have treated us better.

Trust me, if Flagstaff hadn't treated us well on the V-Lite we would *not* have gone with Flagstaff for the 5er.

Check the Flagstaff sub-forum here. There aren't that many problem threads there.

It's like buying a new car, or a new home. There will be bugs to work out, but I feel certain you (and we) will be pleased with Flagstaff's response to any issues you have.

Oh, I forgot...porterhouse steaks are marinating in the fridge! (we don't "camp", we "glamp"!!! (glamour camping) Yeah, I stole that word from someone else here on the forum. And in your 8528, you're certainly going to be "glamping"! She's a thing of beauty, she is.

Just out of curiosity, what issues came up that caused you to take it back for warranty?

And if we have any issues during our shakedown this weekend, I'll post 'em here when we get back. That way you'll get a heads up in case you have the same issues.

Oh, I forgot....here's your super-duper Flagstaff Owners (((((((HUG))))))

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #5

We had three small issues to address. The forward storage compartment didn't shut right and needed adjustment. One of the flush valves was not sealing tight. And believe it or not the entry steps worked a little too good. When I made a left hand turn they partially opened up all by themselves. Anyway the dealership called today and said all was fixed and the protection package was done so I'll pick her up on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

Congrats on the purchase of your new TT. We bit the bullet last year and bought a new Flagstaff. Although not the same model, we used ours extensively last year without a problem. I would definitely buy again.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Congratulations on your new unit. I would also suggest purchasing the second year warranty. We has a few minor issues the first couple of years that were taken care of by warranty. Last year we did a 2 1/2 month, 6000 mile trip west with no issues. Hopefully, you will enjoy your "Falstaff" as much as we have enjoyed ours. You may want to check out Forest River Owners Group (FROG) website.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
NELA

So far we're all systems geaux! There's a small leak in the in-house water filter...one drop *maybe* every 5 minutes or so. We've had a dishcloth under it since last night and the cloth is barely damp. DH thinks it's the o-ring on the canister (wmtire agrees) and will remove and re-install it tonight some time. If it continues to drip we may do as wmtire said he did; remove the PITA altogether. We use the fresh water hose filter system anyway. May install one of those on each end of the hose.

We only had lukewarm water alternating with cold water.....UNTIL we talked to wmtire on the phone this evening and he reminded us there are *three* valves to open and we'd left the bypass valve closed. DUH! Now we're cookin' with HOT WATER! LOL

The wifi here is from the stone age so posting this is taking me at least 12 minutes; four to open the forums page, four minutes to open this thread, and another four minutes post the reply.

Been getting 503 errors trying to correspond with wmtire via private messages. Here's hoping this works!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
NELA

Oh, and wmtire, if you *do* come on down, call us and we'll give you our space number. But, ya can't miss us. (wink) We'll be the first 5er you see, and the only space with a black F250.

We've got plenty of ice and "fixin' supplies", bar is OPEN!

Alas, the porterhouse steaks are all gone, as are the double stuff oreos. But hey, I can offer ya a moon pie and/or chips!! /snark

Oh, one other thing...there's an annoying vibration in the microwave. Nothing to fret over but we'll have our dealer fix that somewhere down the road. It stops if you press in on the face of it, so maybe just tightening the screws on the fascia will fix it.

So, to the OP, you might want to have your dealer check for that while they have it.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #10

Need some Flagstaff Love (reassurance)

Just resealed the shower today. For one reason or another only half the window panel on each side got sealed. Cleaned it out and resealed it. 30 minutes and were leak free. For a new unit who would have thought. Guess they ran out of silicone.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #11
ARLO

2010 Flagstaff 829fkss

Ours has been very good to us. A few very minor problems tha twere addressed quickly. One major problem, the floor. Ours had a floor that was not manufactured at the new FR lamination facility. We had delamination problem that was backed 100% by Flagstaff. We would buy another.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #12

My wife and I had a Flagstaff classic superlite 831fkbss...we loved the floorplan but had so many problems from the get-go. AC didn't work on our first trip out, Water leaks almost thru the entire unit, Delamination all over the exterior after 6 months, Power jacks that died after 2 months each (I went thru 3 of them)...I could go on and on. Bottom line, I loved the floor plan but the trailer itself was a big piece of JUNK! Got rid of it after 4 years, which is the shortest time the wife and have ever owned any of our previous 6 RV's. I may be in the minority but, I would NEVER buy another super lite again. We went and bought a 2013 Columbus 320rs Fiver that has been completly trouble free!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 AM   #13

Not sure why a light weight flagstaff with the polar pack would not be okay for full timing.....course guess full time is different for each set of full timers.....we have lived in our 26 ft 5er for the last two years except for a month or two....traveling from NC to S Tx....one year and one year to Fla.....unit has been pulled about 6k and still has those little rubber pieces that you see when brand new on the tires....everyone says unit looks like brand new....coldest temps 14 degrees.....hottest 100+ plus 100% humidity....a/c kept unit cold and heat kept unit warm.....15000 a/c runs maybe 50% of time on hottest days.....supplement heat with one electric heater on low....and have used two tanks of propane.....trailer has to be vented to open and close slides, only small amount of condensation in slide cabinets with was 14 degrees.....along with window that was ..... probably cause unit is so tight.....but no problems with it when temp stays above 28.......they have taken care of all problems during warranty and one problem when was out of warranty.....at no charge......all problems have been very minor.....thank you Forest River and Flagstaff for the unit you delivered to us........

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #14

To DB. My roof was not installed properly. It was full of wrinkles. Dealer dealt with FR and FR agreed to take it back and install new roof. No out of pocket $, just lonely while it was gone. All is well with it now. As I write this, I'm looking at it sitting in it's barn about 200 yards from my house. Our 1st. trip isn't planned until 1st. week in Apr. Wife and I both chomping at the bit. Hope you are enjoying your trip.
Transplanted Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Don't forget to grease the axel bearings. A lot, even brand new ones. It's easy peasy. I don't think the manufacture does a QC check...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #16

Cool

Thanks a lot for the love...lol. Picked her up yesterday afternoon and parked her back in the driveway. She's all set to sit there so I can stare at her this weekend as we get more snow! Gonna driveway camp first weekend it warms up. Can't wait to de-winterize her and and hit the campground! Thanks everybody!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
Thanks a lot for the love...lol. Picked her up yesterday afternoon and parked her back in the driveway. She's all set to sit there so I can stare at her this weekend as we get more snow! Gonna driveway camp first weekend it warms up. Can't wait to de-winterize her and and hit the campground! Thanks everybody!
LOL we feel your pain! Our sat in the driveway from January 4th until this past Friday!

I used the time to (*this* time) move every thing in ORGANIZED! Spent some time personalizing it as well with "wall vinyl quotes and designs". Put this one centered on the wall above the stove;
Wall Decal Sticker Words Good Coffee Is A Pleasure Friends Coffee Cup | eBay

They're totally removable (just peel 'em off) if and when you decide to trade 'er in. Just a nice way to accent and make your RV unique to you and yours. There are literally thousands and thousands of designs available on eBay and Amazon. Very easy to apply and remove.

Which interior did you get? Ours is Platinum with the lighter hickory wood finish with the lighter wood grain floors. The V-Lite had cherry with dark wood floors. We think the lighter wood finish makes it appear larger inside. Also like that the wall paper border has all neutral colors, as I like to choose my own accent color...for me it's deep RED!

Oh, and that LARGE rear window is awesome! The table with the lamp between the recliners just says "home" to us.

ENJOY and

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #18
NELA

Someone gave me a tip about ours (he has the Rockwood twin) and the recliners. When you turn the recliners sideways while in transit, put something between the recliner handle that is against the wall. If you don't, that handle will rub the finish off the wall paper. I use a small travel pillow.

I know I won't spell this correctly, but his name ends with "jurczek".

Our PDI guy suggested putting the table that goes between the recliners up in one of them. Uhhhh no.....that table sits perfectly between the dinette chairs and the window of that slide. LOL, I changed out that lamp shade to a beige linen one. The stark WHITE didn't look good, IMO.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
LOL we feel your pain! Our sat in the driveway from January 4th until this past Friday!

I used the time to (*this* time) move every thing in ORGANIZED! Spent some time personalizing it as well with "wall vinyl quotes and designs". Put this one centered on the wall above the stove;
Wall Decal Sticker Words Good Coffee Is A Pleasure Friends Coffee Cup | eBay

They're totally removable (just peel 'em off) if and when you decide to trade 'er in. Just a nice way to accent and make your RV unique to you and yours. There are literally thousands and thousands of designs available on eBay and Amazon. Very easy to apply and remove.

Which interior did you get? Ours is Platinum with the lighter hickory wood finish with the lighter wood grain floors. The V-Lite had cherry with dark wood floors. We think the lighter wood finish makes it appear larger inside. Also like that the wall paper border has all neutral colors, as I like to choose my own accent color...for me it's deep RED!

Oh, and that LARGE rear window is awesome! The table with the lamp between the recliners just says "home" to us.

ENJOY and

We have the Diamond package with the Cherry Wood cabinets. Beyond that I don't know.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #20
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
We have the Diamond package with the Cherry Wood cabinets. Beyond that I don't know.
I *think* the only difference between the Platinum package and the Diamond package is that you have the tan exterior and ours is white.

Take a look at the picture in the link included in my signature. Is the wall border trim the same? I think some of the Diamond package 8528s have an aqua colored wave shaped accent color in the wallpaper border, which is the "Monterey Interior. If your border is the same as ours then you have the "Regency Interior". If your border is tan tones in a diamond pattern, and the sofa is fabric with the same pattern, that's called the "Grayson Interior".

Yes, our V-Lite had the cherry wood finish...it was also a Platinum Package.

Your dealer has booklets that will explain all the upgrades you got with the Diamond package. (one is the folding glass cover for the stove top, with the stove mounted flush with the counter top)

When we were shopping for ours they had several of the 8528s on the lot and we shopped them ALL for hours, back and forth. The reason I say about the only difference between the Diamond and the Platinum package is the exterior color is that there was only 1K difference in the prices, and the only difference we saw from one to the next to the next was the tan outside walls.

Tags
flagstaff