Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by darhike View Post
I have a 8528RKWS being built. What is the ref fan issue? I am surprise and disappointed that Forest River is still installing radios with known issues.

Purchasing my 3 Flagstaff.
The fan issue is just cheap fans. I added 2 more fans in mine now have 3. expoxie a second fan at the top coil next to the orginal and just tapped in to the wire to the fan also added a big fan on the bottom to push fresh air up. On high setting I get minus in my freezer and the refer stays at about 38 t0 40 degrees. Can't hear them at all. AS far as the radio's I guess they are trying to put something new in the IRV. To bad from what I read they are not much better. Still it's hard to find someone who is making something that can do all that in 12 volt. Not cheap to replace $499.00 for the big one and $399.00 for the small. Then another $49.00 for a harness to hook it up.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #22

Just received a replacement IRV66 from Todd Eash 574-970-8287 and installed it
yesterday,works great. Your TV should play through radio. The dometic fans are loud
and unacceptable but I dont have a plan yet. Adding fans may affect the warranty
2015 8528 IKWS
branmo6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #23

Angry A/C on your new 8528

We have same unit, about one month old. How does your a/c work. We have 15,000 btu. We donot think it works very well.
kyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyman View Post
We have same unit, about one month old. How does your a/c work. We have 15,000 btu. We donot think it works very well.

We have a 2015 27RLWS with a 15K AC. We too feel it's not the best when ducted. With the vents open it cools the main living area fine but then the bedroom gets too warm. We live in Texas and need the AC. I did buy a powerful floor fan to help move the air. We will try it out this week as we head down to the Gulf.
Brazealnut4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyman View Post
I have the same unit. In 90's in sun all day it runs constant and the camper is 75. At dusk it starts to cool better. No radio problem. Nice unit my 3rd Flagstaff. First 5th wheel so far like towing it much better
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #26

We're in Alaska right now and needed the AC when it hit 86 and were very content with the way it cooled
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #27

Ref

I am pleased with the refrigerator. The temp in freezer is minus 1 and the ref was 32 freezing. So went to higher setting freezer ok ref 40? Outside dorm type ref 39. Temp outside 90.
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 PM   #28

We love our 8528IKWS, but have the same issues with the AM-FM radio and the "loud" refrigerator fans. The radio is now connected to the TV antenna, get FM and weather, but, would like to receive AM.

Post your radio and refrigerator solutions (with photos), please!
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by branmo6x View Post
Just received a replacement IRV66 from Todd Eash 574-970-8287 and installed it
yesterday,works great. Your TV should play through radio. The dometic fans are loud
and unacceptable but I dont have a plan yet. Adding fans may affect the warranty
2015 8528 IKWS
Adding fans will not void your warranty. You need to change the fan to ball bearing. I have 3 fans installed. 1 at the bottom is wired to produce air 24/7 when ever the refer is on, the other 2 fans are located below the Condenser coil. THey come on only when the click-on disk stat calls for them. I do not hear them at all anymore even with adding two additional. I also put a fan Ball-bearing in the lower refrigerator blowing against the coil. To help circulate the air and make the temp more even from the top to the bottom shelves. I have to keep my setting on 1 which is the warmest. If I put it at five I get minus temps.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #30

Just bought a new Super Lite Flagstaff 8528 IKWS 5TH Wheel. DW and I are very excited. Love the high ceiling. This is the right size for ythe 2 of us. It took me 3 years to make the move. We pick it up on October 6th and are set up for 2 night stay at a local park near the dealer to make sure everything is to our liking. Any suggestions please do not hesitate to post. First time owning an RV.
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
Just bought a new Super Lite Flagstaff 8528 IKWS 5TH Wheel. DW and I are very excited. Love the high ceiling. This is the right size for ythe 2 of us. It took me 3 years to make the move. We pick it up on October 6th and are set up for 2 night stay at a local park near the dealer to make sure everything is to our liking. Any suggestions please do not hesitate to post. First time owning an RV.
Congrads on your new unit, Your smart going to CG close to your dealer. I would also ask your dealer to pencil you in for the third day incase you find some minor things that can be taken care of while you wait. Take pictures on your PDI when you walk the unit with the dealer. Try everything yourself so you understand how everything works. Ask questions on anything and everything. When your camping for two days write down any questions that come-up. Even if it warm still run the furnace and check the air flow. Run the A/C and check the air flow. Make sure you take some extra 2x6 boards with you incase you have to level. Get the second year warranty from FR. The 150.00 is well worth it. If the dealer doesn't bring it up make sure you do before signing papers. It's also best to sign your papers after the PDI, because once you sign them it's yours. There is a list of PDI information in the Library take a copy of that or atleast read it. Good Luck have fun and let us know how things went....

Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #32

Just came back from 2 weeks in Idaho (3rd trip in trailer). Another 8528IKWS pulled in to the park and we compared notes. Their trailer had one large window over table as opposed to two vertical windows like our trailer. Everything worked well - except the AM reception on the radio (not a big deal-rarely use radio). It seems that the antenna should be on the roof. Also - I will deal with the refer fan noise later. Dometic did send me a white led for the refer interior light, so that's okay now. I miss a night stand, so used a small piece of plywood with cleats that sits on top of the open drawer on right side of bed. Holds my glasses, phone, etc at night. Mounted the toilet paper holder under the sink on the shelf. Enjoy your new rig - we're enjoying ours.
randygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #33

Thanks for all the good advice. I will be ready for the PDI and have a list of questions. Spending 2 nights in the KOA down the road from the dealer will also be good. Any further recommendations would be great. Thanks and enjoy the week end.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Thanks for all the good advice. I will be ready for the PDI and have a list of questions. Spending 2 nights in the KOA down the road from the dealer will also be good. Any further recommendations would be great. Thanks and enjoy the week end.
We love our 8528IKWS. Have the same issues as mentioned. Too much heat in the bath, and the mentioned Genesis radio issues. The refrigerator fan was replaced with another by the techs at Goshen and is about half as loud. Acceptable now. Ensure you check the radio during the walkthru. Check AM, FM and the weather band. Ensure the TV audio is connected and plays thru the radio. Ensure the dealer agrees to try to resolve problems with the radio. The techs at Goshen could not rectify my issues with the Genesis radio and admitted the only solution for me was to connect the radio to the TV antenna via a splitter. Did it and that works, but, have ZERO AM reception.

One mistake I made was NOT to order the 2nd A/C. Wish I did so after a few summers.

Favor please. Take three or four photos of the angled cabinet and door under the counter below the microwave. The newer models have this cabinet, mine does not and thinking of adding, if possible. Post the photos to this thread.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #35

Do you know if the 2016's have the same fan problem in frig and radio problem?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #36

Mine did, mfg end of April. Stay tuned, you'll find out when you get it.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #37

8528IKWS Counter End Cabinet

Hope these help. I couldn't get them to post properly, so correct them after saving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	90201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2480.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	90202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2481.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	90203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2482.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	90204  
Old 09-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #38

Thanks!! Just what I was looking for!!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #39

We love our 2015 8528IKWS. It has followed our truck for over 6000 miles in the year that we have owned it. The furnace issue is our biggest concern at the moment. I have replaced both the register at the top of the stairs and the register in the bathroom with registers that close. We still did get enough heat n the living room. I talked wit a Surburban frunce tech at the end of the FROG rally in Goshen and he said that closing thos registers could cause the furnace to hit it's high temperature limit switch and shut the furnace. This happened to us in Texas last winter. The furnace will reset and run but, not very efficient. The furnace will the first thing on our list for the 2016 Frog rally.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Do you know if the 2016's have the same fan problem in frig and radio problem?
You might have the same fan noise, I do not think the manufacturer either Dometic or Norcole have changed that. You will probably get the IRV radio and not the Genesis model. FR has made that change. Can't tell you if it is any better or not. I have read of problems with them on here, but they are quick to takecare of the problem and send a new one out to you. That's a plus compared to the Genesis. If you think the fan is loud, just replace it with a ball bearing style computer fan much less noise. In fact you might want to add one to blow over your cooling coil in the refer section. You will get a lot more of an even temp. It will not void your warrenty on either mod.

Tags