Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

New 8528IKWS

Just picked it up Friday. Been doing a shakedown all weekend at a nearby KOA, close to where we bought it. Weather has been great. Ran everything hooked up to shore power...including A/C, for the first day. Running everything Boondock style for second day. Only warranty item so far seems to be stereo. Can't get sound from tv through to stereo speakers. Radio on lowest setting is way to loud. Service from Gimme Shelter is amazing. Matt their rv tech came out to campsite to address this and a few other minor issues. Told him about other owners comments on this problem. He's looking into it and will get back to me. Have a few mods I want to do. Definitely replace fridge fans. Need to put in louvered heater vents to redirect air flow...p/s didn't notice till now there are no heater vents directly in the bedroom area. Have to look into possible mod for that. Moved up from a 10 year old 25’ Mallard, w bunks and no slides. Right now seems like I have loads of space! D/W is going crazy trying to figure out where to put everything. Along with many weekend outings, main trip this year will be a month to NL.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1430659020.856892.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	75975
Steamfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Done with this

Really nice! Congrats!

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

Congratulations, won't take long to fill up the extra space
1 mutt
on occasion 1 DD
themounties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #4

We just got back from the shakedown cruise of our new 8528RKWS. I could almost have written your post! DVD sound cuts out and TV sound won't connect to stereo, louvered vents are needed, and we love the interior storage space. All in all, a very comfortable 5th wheel. Congrats to you!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

Congrats on your great looking 8528IKWS!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 AM   #6

Congrat's, but you got the wrong color - just kidding, our 8528IKWS in white (the Platinum Package) arrives late May. Hope you have many good trips with it.
randygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Congrats on new 5er! We have the same one. We got it last October. Our shakedown was to Myrtle Beach.
We agree on the heat issues. too much heat in bath/steps area. Not enough in the living area and none in the bedroom. I am going to put in adjustable registers and redirect the basement heat run to the bed area.
the slideout for kitchen/sofa is way out of adjustment and the wiper seal doesn't touch the roof when room is extended and the floor is lower than the main floor.
The biggest issue is the refrigerator though. It keeps the temps at about 25 to 30 degrees in both the freezer and fridge areas when at highest setting.
There is no thermistor adjustment that I can find. I guess I need to contact a service center for this problem.
Overall we love the space and usability.
Enjoy yours!

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond
aquaholic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #8

Oh, I forgot to ask.....what radio brand do you have? I know lots of folks have trouble with the iRV(?)

2013 F150 Super Cab 4x4, 3.5L ecoboost , 7700lb suspension package. 11,300 towing capacity and Max Tow package
Old 05-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic3 View Post
Oh, I forgot to ask.....what radio brand do you have? I know lots of folks have trouble with the iRV(?)

iRV66. Hopefully dealer solves the problem (replacement) for me. If not I'll call the number listed on other posts. Heard other got replacement shipped direct to them. Not sure if it's the same for Canadian customers.
Steamfitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

I can tell from the pic of your 8528 that it's the latest version...you have the storage compartment near the area on the slide that the BBQ grill hangs. You also probably have cabinets in the kitchen in the angled area that backs up to the bathroom.
We don't have the iRV radio, it's a genesys or some such thing. I don't use a radio or TV much so I don't remember specifics.
One thing I did do was put a switch on the radio so i can turn off the power to it when we're boondocking. Even when you turn it off there is still power usage so I put in a switch to kill all power to it. I also put LEds in the pendant lights over the island.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #11

Congrats on the new trailer! I have the IRV66 and during the PDI was told that the TV uses its own speakers. It is not wired to go through the radio. Only the DVD, radio and Bluetooth functions actually use the surround sound. If you hear different than that then let us know. I'll be making a service call in that. As for the performance of the radio, I find that the sound skips when playing a DVD. It works great for the radio and Bluetooth functions.
Brazealnut4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #12

Doesn't sound like the IRV entertainment system is any better then the Genesis. At least the Genesis go's through your TV speaker system. Only Problem I still have with 3.0 is that it will not read a SD card it will read a USB 8 gb. Bob Fields who use to be there rep said if it will read your USB it will read your SD card. Well it don't. I have to download to my computer then install them on the thumb drive. The USB will play music or show pictures. I was hoping that the IRV system was better then what I have read on this thread. I think he is there Rep now, you might want to PM him.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #13

Just after my post here, the dealer called and told me our 8528IKWS just arrived. We went and checked it out, but do to both the dealers schedule and ours it will be a couple of weeks before we get it. DW and I excited to see it.
randygk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #14
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Seems strange to me that the TV is not setup to go through the iRV66. It is certainly not a capability issue. These units usually have an RVA cable FROM the TV to the iRV66 if not, you can add easily enough. I'd check the back of the TV to see if there is an extra cable there that may not have gotten hooked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazealnut4 View Post
Congrats on the new trailer! I have the IRV66 and during the PDI was told that the TV uses its own speakers. It is not wired to go through the radio. Only the DVD, radio and Bluetooth functions actually use the surround sound. If you hear different than that then let us know. I'll be making a service call in that. As for the performance of the radio, I find that the sound skips when playing a DVD. It works great for the radio and Bluetooth functions.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #15
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Sorry I am been pretty busy getting RVTronics.com up and running and did not realize I missed you were still having an issue.

From what I read below, you can use a USB drive but not an SD card, is that right?

If so, the SD card reader may be bad but that is extremely rare. Not impossible, just rare.

That said, what I meant to say regarding both the SD card and the USB drive is that they both use the same software to process (same menu, etc). Obviously they have their own hardware readers.

If your USB is operating correctly, then your SD Card "should" as well. If not, you could have your dealer replace under warranty.

I don't work for iRV directly buy sell their systems online and to other retailers for resale.

I am here if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Doesn't sound like the IRV entertainment system is any better then the Genesis. At least the Genesis go's through your TV speaker system. Only Problem I still have with 3.0 is that it will not read a SD card it will read a USB 8 gb. Bob Fields who use to be there rep said if it will read your USB it will read your SD card. Well it don't. I have to download to my computer then install them on the thumb drive. The USB will play music or show pictures. I was hoping that the IRV system was better then what I have read on this thread. I think he is there Rep now, you might want to PM him.
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #16

New 8528IKWS

Congrats on your new 8528ikws! We bought the same one last fall and have logged about 10,000 miles so far and heading for AK in about two weeks from NEPA. Already had Genesis replaced with irv66----not much better with sound skipping and volume control. In process of replacing China bombs with marathons. Heater hose to living room was replaced. We're actually very happy with the unit------happy trails!

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fields View Post
Sorry I am been pretty busy getting RVTronics.com up and running and did not realize I missed you were still having an issue.

From what I read below, you can use a USB drive but not an SD card, is that right?

If so, the SD card reader may be bad but that is extremely rare. Not impossible, just rare.

That said, what I meant to say regarding both the SD card and the USB drive is that they both use the same software to process (same menu, etc). Obviously they have their own hardware readers.

If your USB is operating correctly, then your SD Card "should" as well. If not, you could have your dealer replace under warranty.

I don't work for iRV directly buy sell their systems online and to other retailers for resale.

I am here if I can help.
My unit is 4 years old Bob, and I can live without the SD card working I just have to do the extra step. I was hopeing that the IRV would be better, but it's electronics and all have slight problems. I might be one of the few that really like the Gen. 3.0 I have surround sound and HDMI hooked up plus I added the other optic cable. I also added 6" speakers outside which helps to keep the volume the same inside and out. I'm really pretty happy with it. Thanks for all the help you have given me.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Our 8528BHSS doesn't have the heat vent either. And it doesn't really nee it, as it's the highest and the warmest in th RV. Have a great time we do and will too.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #19

I have a 8528RKWS being built. What is the ref fan issue? I am surprise and disappointed that Forest River is still installing radios with known issues.

Purchasing my 3 Flagstaff.
2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #20

Looks like we have almost identical set ups, including the truck. There should be a hot air vent in the bathroom wall at the foot of the bed. With it and the floor one in front of the bathroom, you'll likely be too warm.
Keep a close check on tires as the factory supplied ones aren't much good. Our unit is less than two years old and already I'm replacing them.
Gimme Shelter has treated us well but we are too far away for some issues.
If you haven't thought of it, go to the FROG rally in Goshen, IN. Lots of fun and factory techs will deal with issues that you request help with.
Your refrigerator fan likely sounds like a huge mosquito. When we were at Goshen, Domestic replaced ours with a larger one mounted at the bottom rather than near the top. We can still hear it but it's not as aggravating.
Good luck. Enjoy the trailer.
Richard

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rijaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags