Old 11-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

New E Pro 19 ft trailer should I replace tires immediately

My E Pro 19FD came with 14 inch Castle Rock tires on Sumec rims. I have read lots of postings, and appears the castle rock, like many OEM tires are terrible, and should be replaced immediately. Seems like Carlisle, Goodyear Endurance and Maxis are usually considered good tires. So replacing the Castle Rock with any of these would be money well spent. What about rims....the Sumec.....I think are rated at 50 psi. I also understand, 15 inch are better than 14 inch. First, should I immediately replace the brand new Castle Rocks with one of the 3 mentioned above, and should I spend money for brand name rims......and replace with 15 inch. Or....are rims not that important....is it the tire that should focus on.

Lastly, as my trailer is just 2800 lbs, does that mean can get buy with cheap tires as is much more important with heavier trailers. I do have single axle so maybe that means that 2800 lbs on single axle is more concern than say 4000 lbs on 2 axle.

joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Scoundrel

Your trailer and mine are nearly identical. I replaced my tires and wheels but stayed with 14 inch. However, it is likely that your tires are load range C which barely covers the weight of your trailer when loaded with gear and water. I upgraded to Carlisle load range D. I bought new steel rims from etrailer.com to help with the higher psi of the new tires.

Good luck!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

New Tires and Rims

Thanks for the reply. I had read in other postings that some people thought could run 65 psi in 50 psi rated rims, but many thought otherwise. Furthermore sounds like you feel the 14 verse 15 inch issue is not a major one...probably because our trailers are light. I think I will get new wheels and tires to be on safe side.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Scoundrel

If you do pop for new wheels consider having your tire shop install metal valve stems. If you decide to get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) at some point your wheels will be ready.

Cheers!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Just A Member

I have found Trailer Tires and Wheels a very good place to do business with.
Trailer Tires and Wheels - Steel & Aluminum Trailer Wheels, Bias & Radial Trailer Tires
I purchased new rims with the larger load capacity, new Goodyear Endurance tires and the metal valve stems. They bundle all that up with shrink wrap and UPS them to you. They mount, balance, and on arrival are ready for you to mount on your trailer. Good luck with your purchase.
ckeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #6

Tire Replacement

My opinion would be to replace them. I was returning from 3 weeks in Florida last weekend and one of my OE China Bombs (less than 2 years old and only 3500 miles) exploded on I-59 near Gadsden. And, yes, I'm particular about my air pressures and weight limitations and speed. Limped to side of interstate and nervously changed flat. Stopped another 40 miles or so up the road and stayed overnite at DeSoto State Park. Left Monday morning to go home...about 75 miles away...now with no spare as there were none to be found in Ft. Payne. Got about half that distance and guess what...yep...a 2nd one blew out on the other side. Luckily I was right at a rest area so I got to the lot. Now I'm frustrated and irritated to say the least. Wound up unhooking travel trailer...removing blown tire...I now have 2...and drove rest of the way to my hometown and bought 2 new Goodyear Endurance E rated tires. I drove back to the rest area, replaced both tires on one side with new tires, and hooked up again and made it to the tire store. I had them to replace the remaining 3 tires with the Endurance. Just the short drive from there to my home and I could tell a major difference. Rode better with less sway or rocking. They look like a well made tire and are heavier than my old C rated tires. They are made in Alabama and have had good reports so far. So...I would change them if I were you. Safe camping....
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #7

We just bought a new travel trailer recently and it came with Castle Rock tires. With less than 200 miles on them I replaced them with Maxxis tires and the difference is amazing. The camper pulls much smoother and a lot more steady at highway speeds and the added peace of mind is worth every penny. One thing we have noticed too is the trailer does not have nearly the same shake and wiggle when camping as it did before which makes sleeping much better.
kfountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Any of the 3 you mentioned would be a good idea asap. With only 1 axle I'd watch any tire like a hawk. More than a dual axle you need a tpms like TST 507.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #9
on_the_bayou

Replace with Goodyear Endurance and go up a load range.
2012: 4564 mi 31 days - 2013: 6277 mi 38 days
2014: 5146 mi 38 days - 2015: 1200 mi 9 days
2016: 342 mi 2 days - 2017: 2734 mi 22 days
PrimeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #10

Valve stems are solution for High PSI

Regarding what wheel to get to handle 65 or 80 psi, I was told by Etrailer..online site, that wheels are not rated for PSI, but stems are. They only publish PSI for wheels with stems. So.....if they list 65 psi, it is not because of the wheel, but the installed stem.
So....if my 14 in Lynx wheel is rated for 50 lbs psi, I can replace with metal stems rated at 65 and run with not problems.

I had been thinking of replacing the brand new wheels [Sumec....known as Lynx} on my E Pro 19 and mounting new tires, but sounds like only thing need to be concerned about with the wheel are some online chatter about Lynx wheels developing cracks.-on the spokes..which could lead to real problem.

Bottom line, sounds like should not be shopping for wheels with higher psi rating, but for quality of the steel or aluminum used and manufacturing quality.

Maybe safest approach is to just buy a good, solid steel wheel!!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #11

I've read about all the tire disasters on here and was nervous about driving from Indy to FL in our flagstaff but I never had an issue with the stock tires. I figure I will get as much out of them before I replace them..
IndyGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGlenn View Post
I've read about all the tire disasters on here and was nervous about driving from Indy to FL in our flagstaff but I never had an issue with the stock tires. I figure I will get as much out of them before I replace them..
Hopefully you don't get something you don't want. Good luck
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #13

My thoughts- How far, often, and fast are you going to tow your trailer? A few local trips a year probably doesn't merit immediate tire replacement. Towing at high speed with small tires means they go around a lot faster than larger ones - so keeping speed down will help with tire life.

My plan is to replace tires at between 3 and 5 years, regardless of mileage based on several manufacturers saying that is either end of life or time to have professional annual inspections.

I suspect a high percentage of the tire failures are on dual or triple axle trailers - turning them has a much higher impact of shear which seems like it will lead to the failures. Especially if the trailer is parked without relieving that stress. Your single axle shouldn't be as impacted.

When you do replace, increasing the weight class is generally a good idea.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #14
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

I like the question, but I would like more responses regarding the real need to worry about the rims and replace. Tires and metal stems done. But I still have the wheels that came with the castle rock tires (lions something). Any failure stories regarding the wheels?

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, trailer