Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpygramps53 View Post
My TT is In covered storage so I’ll have to go by in a day or so to check on this. Thank you for the suggestion. That might be why My dealer quoted $300 to $400 to do the conversion.
There is an alternative after-market step that replaces the MorRyde. It folds up inside the door like the MorRyde but collapses like the traditional folding steps. As a result, the design does not require additional framing and doesn't require the same side clearance to open.

I don't recall the name but read about them in another thread on this forum. Perhaps someone can link to it. As they don't require framing, the installation cost may be a wash in comparison.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #22

Quote:
I have a 2019 microlite 25 FBLS and I really like the unit as a whole.. BUT... I hate the steps that fold up in the doorway. It’s a ridiculous design in my mind. If you’re not parked in a perfectly level site, you now have an added chore of being sure the bottom of the steps are supported or the door frame is under tremendous stress while in use. This can be an aggravating chore to an old fart like me. if you have a personal site with a deck, as I do, you are screwed. So, I contacted my dealer about converting the steps to the old fold out frame attached design that served me quite we’ll for over 35 years and it can be done for around $400. I’m wondering if any of you have had this done and how it worked out? Thank you for your responses.
$400 seems excessive. I went the other way and replaced my fold up steps with the type you have. Makes it easier to get in and out for our dog and our aging knees. I would gladly let you have my fold ups for only $200. Unfortunately shipping would be an issue. Good luck with your problem.
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Pictures please... I think dealer PDI was lacking here.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
There is an alternative after-market step that replaces the MorRyde. It folds up inside the door like the MorRyde but collapses like the traditional folding steps. As a result, the design does not require additional framing and doesn't require the same side clearance to open.

I don't recall the name but read about them in another thread on this forum. Perhaps someone can link to it. As they don't require framing, the installation cost may be a wash in comparison.
Perhaps you are looking for the Torklift GlowStep Revolution Uprising steps.

https://www.torklift.com/glowstep-re...dsb3dzdGVwcyJd

Bruce
Old 09-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #25

The OP wants steps that will not interfere with a deck built next to the door. He isn't looking for easy fold, etc.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #26

Solid Steps

There is a "give and take" to the solid steps...

They can be a pain, but the way they feel using them can't be beat.

I will take the extra tasks that they need to have that nice solid feel to them.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
There is a "give and take" to the solid steps...

They can be a pain, but the way they feel using them can't be beat.

I will take the extra tasks that they need to have that nice solid feel to them.
i agree
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #28

If the issue is 'non adjustable' legs then a simple fix would be to cut a wedge or two of wood that would fit under the high side foot of the steps to cut out the twisting effect if the ground isn't level at the steps deployed spot.
However, dealing with a permanent deck is the problem, then creative woodworking along with removal of the steps sounds like a probability.
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
i agree

Me too.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #30

Loved the new steps in concept

Bought unit in part because of the new steps. Don't rust, my wife can pull them out. More stable. Then came actual use. Yes you have to adjust them often to be very near flush with ground or door damage frame and you have to brush them off before putting them back in or the sand goes inside. I'll stay with them, but the old style turns out to be better, sadly
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #31

We have the new steps and love them. Very sturdy and solid. Adjusting is easy.
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #32

And one more problem

In storage you have to be further from the guy beside you to pull them down and get in your unit... (and he goes in and out, so no way to control and of course you also want to open your slide a bit to get to bedroom..) Yes they are sturdier and more stable. which is why I was so initially positive about them. I prefer the old style if traveling frequently especially if electric...

Regards
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #33

Make you a deal

Quote:
I have a 2019 microlite 25 FBLS and I really like the unit as a whole.. BUT... I hate the steps that fold up in the doorway. It’s a ridiculous design in my mind. If you’re not parked in a perfectly level site, you now have an added chore of being sure the bottom of the steps are supported or the door frame is under tremendous stress while in use. This can be an aggravating chore to an old fart like me. if you have a personal site with a deck, as I do, you are screwed. So, I contacted my dealer about converting the steps to the old fold out frame attached design that served me quite we’ll for over 35 years and it can be done for around $400. I’m wondering if any of you have had this done and how it worked out? Thank you for your responses.
I replaced the old style steps with the new style and love them. If you pass through metro Atlanta I will make you a deal on the old steps.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #34

I replaced mine with an old style single step. The step was about $75 and I had it installed at an auto body shop for $100. I do wish I had put in a 2 step instead of a 1, but it's a lot better than that awful drop-down set. They also made and installed a rear bumper for another $150. I'd say $400 is a little pricey.
Suke2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #35

I dont understand you guys complaining about the steps their more sturdy then the pull out ones and there are adjustable. I can see if you have a deck then take them off bc you dont need any steps
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I dont understand you guys complaining about the steps their more sturdy then the pull out ones and there are adjustable. I can see if you have a deck then take them off bc you dont need any steps
At the outdoor storage where I keep my trailer, I leased the space next to the dumpster. That way I know I could always open the door and drop the stairs (assuming the truck want coming).

They just poured a pad elsewhere for the dumpster. Makes sense, since it was occupying a revenue-generating space. Depending on who rents the space next to mine, I may not be able to open the door while in storage. As that's where I work on the trailer, I may have to buy an after-market folding step.

I do like the solid feel of the step but might not be able to use it.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
At the outdoor storage where I keep my trailer, I leased the space next to the dumpster. That way I know I could always open the door and drop the stairs (assuming the truck want coming).

They just poured a pad elsewhere for the dumpster. Makes sense, since it was occupying a revenue-generating space. Depending on who rents the space next to mine, I may not be able to open the door while in storage. As that's where I work on the trailer, I may have to buy an after-market folding step.

I do like the solid feel of the step but might not be able to use it.
My neighbor in storage parked too close to the line and I could not lower the steps. I wrapped both legs with moving blankets and lowered the steps on a adjustable tool support that kept any weight off the sidewall of his trailer. Then with a step ladder beside I was able to get in fairly easily. My neighbor happened to come by while I was working. Saw my jury rig and how I was protecting his trailer. He moved his trailer and now always leaves me the extra four inches I need.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #38

There was a post in the past of a fellow who made his removable.

You drill out the 4 rivets and replace them with pins from the hardware store. Only takes a drill and an hour.

I considered that as our parking spot is narrow and we cannot open the steps when parked for the winter.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
There was a post in the past of a fellow who made his removable.

You drill out the 4 rivets and replace them with pins from the hardware store. Only takes a drill and an hour.

I considered that as our parking spot is narrow and we cannot open the steps when parked for the winter.
That may be a useful option for me. Far cheaper than replacement, and I thinking I'd prefer the solid feel of the rigid step vs. the possibly less solid feel of the folding step.

If you can remember which thread, can you provide a link?

Old 01-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #40

Cannot remember the link.

What you needed was pin size and length. Thus drill size was obvious.

4 pins. 2 1/2” by 3/8”, I think. Not sure!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff