Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Grape Escape

Welcome locknload.
Sorry for the ranting but I just can't stand these weight police scaring off people by stating you need a monster truck to tow anything beyond a utility trailer. A must is a weight distr'g hitch with sway control such as Reese dual cam or Equalizer brand with the sway bars and it must be setup correctly and you will have no problem towing.
I cannot believe how many I see passing me going 70-80 mph towing a large trailer. Utter nonsense with no regard to anyone's safety.
Buy what you really want from the start and with your tv you will have no problems
PS not much price difference going from 26 to 32 ' trailer so you will appreciate the added space for small price difference.

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I personally don't care if you tow it with a motorcycle, it's stopping it that concerns me. All that is between you and trailer brakes working properly is a 30 amp fuse. One naked wire near an axle, and that is history, and now you have NO trailer brakes. Without some help from a proper wheel base vehicle, it doesn't take much to jackknife in this situation.

When is the last time you were under your trailer and inspected the brake wiring? It's one thing to be able to do it, and after reading all the post, I think everyone agrees the Excursion with the diesel will pull it. The weight is even under the tow limits, but there could be potential problem with sway based on wheel base. Also the Excursion probably has softer sidewall passenger tires, and since I am a mechanic, I am concerned with the airbag setup on the vehicle. I'm not sure it is strictly for load leveling, or it tries to adjust each air bag individually when cornering, or on rough roads. After all, Ford has a better idea, they just don't always publish all the facts along with it, (for instance, do not a an Excursion on a lift without first disabling the airbag system). True of most vehicles with airbags.

Now for my last rant, and then I'll get down. I want us all, (everyone on the forum and elsewhere), to remain safe, and not have a wreck that blocks the road and MY vacation time!

Maybe because of my airplane pilot training, I like to be prepared for emergencies, so they aren't emergencies, just a change in the routine. No trailer brakes is number one. Had it happen one time on a 14% decline, and yes, I made it fine. Many of today's vehicles have the power to tow, but not the frame or suspension. Anti sway hitches have come a long way, and give many a false sense of security. Just remember, when the wind is from the right, and the tractor trailer passes on the left, the wind will reverse, and sway will be induced, how you get out of it, or get it under control, will depend on when you last replaced your wiper blades.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Also need to check this thread, looks like an Excursion to me!

Tail Wagging The Dog
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #14

That's why I pull a fifth wheel.
Yikes!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #15
Grape Escape

"Windrider" How many pictures would you like to see with 18 wheelers flipped, jacknifed etc?

All these what ifs?
What if your front tire falls off the tow vehicle?
What if whole electrical system fails?
What if driver falls asleep?
What if someone crosses centre line?
What if you have the dreaded runaway accelerator pedal?
While descending steep grades my truck transmission and engine do all the braking automatically. It has been designed that way.
Have yet to see any manufacturure's towing literature limiting trailer length due to wheelbase size anywhere. (Sure they would with all the legal jargon on every other item in owners manual)
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #16

My airbags are not a comfort factory option, they're Airlift 5,000lb load bags. My tires are E rated plus they're a tad wider than factory being 315/75/16's.

Said airbags,

2000 Excursion Limited PowerStroke Diesel- ATS ported housing, Riffraff's FRx, HPx & I/C boot kit, DiPricol Optix- Pyro/Boost/Trans, DP Tuner-80t, Drive-Thru, 80e, 120race, K&N intake tube w/6637, Exhaust, AIH delete, Foil delete, 4" lift, Airbags, Dunlop Rover M/TMaxx 315/75/16's, '04 headlights.
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff