Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #1

New Micro Lite 21FBRS

I recently traded in a high end B+ for a 2014 Micro Lite 21FBRS. The spouse and I have been looking for the RV that’s 20 feet on the outside and 30 feet on the inside. The layout of the 21FBRS is about as close as we can get to that for two people. Tow vehicle is a 2013 Silverado 1500 ext. cab (5.3L) with 4 way Equal-i-zer and Prodigy controller.

Issues – all minor so far.

* We’ve had to replace all the locks on the storage compartments and outside shower. Some were seized and others were nearly so.
* Genesis stereo doesn’t work, replacement on the way (I hope).
* Discovered that Forest River used a wood screw to attach the TV to the wall mount. (Makes me worry a little about what else they might have done!)
* I took the cover plate off the shower base and discovered that the shower floor support was laying at about 30 degrees instead of 90. Shower floor was much less bouncy after I straightened it up.
* Every door I tried on a Micro Lite model was “sticky.” Turns out that it’s not the outer door; it’s the cheap handle on the screen. A little adjustment and tinkering and the door works like a charm now.

On the whole, I’m pretty lucky compared to some of the Flagstaff horror stories I’ve heard and read. My issues seem to be the typical new RV stuff.

Changes and Mods:

* Replaced the plastic potty chair with a Thetford Aqua Magic Style II (25 lbs). This was more work than I expected because of the tight space. I used the 12 inch model with a riser to reach the optimal height for spouse happiness. Thetford includes two sets of bolts with the riser recommended for the toilet. Both sets are too long. I had to cut them to fit.
* Installed a new shower head with a shut off button and 30” splash guards on the sides of the shower. (No mess – thanks to the tips on this site!)
* Glued a 1x3 to the inside of the sink cabinet door and mounted the TP holder on it.
* Bought more 3M Command hooks than I thought I would. They didn’t stick to the shower wall but seem to be working well everywhere else.
* Bought a 48 inch Northwest Territory Fold-In-Half Adjustable Height Table from K Mart to replace the heavy table that came with the Micro Lite. It’s sets up very easily (much better -and cheaper -than the similar Lifetime table). It’s light too. I can put it behind the couch without calling Arnold Schwarzenegger for assistance.
* Soon to come - a pull out faucet in the kitchen sink.

On the way to our first camping trip, I stopped at the CAT scale for a weigh. Trailer Axles: 3980. Truck rear 3330. Truck front 3330. All within limits. I’m a happy camper so far.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

2014 21fbrs

Hi, have you installed any towel racks in bath???
CHERV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

I used a back of the door towel rack. I used one like this: GRAYLINE HOUSEWARES 1724 - Grayline Housewares Towel Rack,lg Doorback Wht 1724 - RV Plus. It adjusts to the thickness of the door so you get a tight fit. I had to cut off the bottom bar so it would fit above the door handle. I used a couple of wire shelf 1/4 inch rubber tips to cover the cut ends. You can easily find the tips at Home Depot or Lowes. The door holds the stabilizing screws quite well.

I also put a 5lb 3M Command hook over the toilet and will probably add a couple more.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #4

Do you have the Murphy bed? We have one in a 21FB and it really opens up the space during the day. Also the couch is more comfortable than what we tried in a number of other models.

Disregard; I realized the fbrs doesn't offer the Murphy bed because the couch is in the slide.
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #5

Right . . . no murphy bed, but the couch is great. Many, if not most, rv couches are too soft and too high for us. I think Forest River hit a home run by selecting this couch. It's really comfortable for sitting, but I can't imagine two people sleeping on it because of the contour of the back.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
NELA

I looked this one up...checked out many pictures. Great floor plan and lots of storage.

Congrats! and...

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #7

Weezer – Thanks. This is the smallest rv we’ve had since my first Shasta back in the Dark Ages. The open layout and the slide make it feel bigger than it is. The flip side is the Silverado. It gives me an appreciation of the 40 acre statement in your signature. It’s a nice truck, but a real bear when backing the Micro Lite into a tight spot. Sometimes makes me wish I still had a Toyota 4Runner.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

new 21fbrs

Have a new 2014 21fbrs and just came back home from five week trip to New Hampshire. Everything went great with a few issues............
Stove spark did not work on front burner........ Ended up being a cut in the wire.. taped and good to go.

Never did figure out how to open the outside stove vent. Two tabs at the bottom... push down, push up..... What am I missing.?
frankchmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #9

Push the vent tabs up and out at the same time with your thumbs. It works easy once you know the secret. We really like our 21 FBRS also. We are going to the lake this weekend with it.

Good Luck,
Lee & Mick
LeeandMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
want a Cat 293REX

thanks for this - except do you mean that you should be opening the vent before cooking on the stove ? I have cooked on the stove and didn't have a problem that I know of! maybe this is why the alarm went off! quickly shut off tho by turning on the high fan! embarrassing!
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #11

I was told to be sure and open and use the vent whenever using the stove or oven. If not the alarm would go off. We use the vent and don't have a problem with the alarm.
LeeandMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #12

vent

Thank you... Yes, thumbs and pushing up and out... Feel like an idiot..... and yes, when the vent is closed (even with the window open) the alarm (at times) would go off.
Living in the camper for five weeks was fun. We thought we might be cramped, but, it went better than expected. I really like the camper and would recommend it to anyone looking for a small, lightweight camper for two.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #13

You have me worried with our statement on Flagstaff horror stories. I got my 2014 21FBRS on Memorial Day weekend and love it so far. I did get the Dometic 310 toilet to replace the 300 that came on it, under warranty from Dometic. Other than that, it has been great so far.

I agree with you statement about the 20 foot trailer on the outside and 30 feet on the inside. This trailer is a great couples trailer and my wife and I love it.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

what was wrong with the toilet that came with it?
Being home a week after camping in new Hampshire for five weeks, I'm ready for another adventure.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #15

See the thread on tank odors in the bathroom in the plumbing section. If you haven't noticed it yet then your toilet might be fine.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchmi View Post
what was wrong with the toilet that came with it?
Being home a week after camping in new Hampshire for five weeks, I'm ready for another adventure.

Aside from the odor issues associated with a plastic toilet, the toilet that came with the TT was too tall for the spouse's comfort. I also prefer the ease of cleaning and aesthetics of a porcelain toilet.

PS 5 weeks sounds great. I'm lucky if I can get the spouse to go out for 5. Usual trip is two or three days.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
You have me worried with our statement on Flagstaff horror stories. I got my 2014 21FBRS on Memorial Day weekend and love it so far. I did get the Dometic 310 toilet to replace the 300 that came on it, under warranty from Dometic. Other than that, it has been great so far.

I agree with you statement about the 20 foot trailer on the outside and 30 feet on the inside. This trailer is a great couples trailer and my wife and I love it.
Re horror stories: I had recently talked to a couple of people who had just purchased a Flagstaff. One had a split water tank in a new pop-up (that it took over a month to fix under warranty) and another gentleman had a Murphy bed cable pulled out of the wall leaving a nasty hole the third time he used it. They happened to be the first two people I ran into who owned a Flagstaff.

Internet forums also seem to be collection point for horror stories & I had been reading as much as possible about the experiences of other people with Flagstaff TTs (soft floors, delamination, leaks, sagging water tanks, bad motors in slides and awnings, etc). When I hear and read about all this stuff, I have to remind myself that it doesn't happen to everyone . . . but then I think uh-oh, it could happen to me.

We just got back from another short trip and everything is A-OK. I have to laugh every time we return to a campground and see our 21FBRS. It looks like a postage stamp compared to most of the other TTs and MHs.

Glad you're enjoying yours and living trouble free!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #18

I work on powerhouses and oil rigs/refineries across the country. I had a 78 Sunline 21 for a long time. It was OK and I learned a lot about trailers with it. I did learn that there is no "perfect trailer." People like different things. My new 21FBRS is close to perfect for me. It tows great, it's warm in cold locations and cool in hot places. Forest River does use very good products and material in their trailers, their workers could be a little more caring in their work. Overall...its a great little trailer! Bob
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #19

i'm going to iowa later this week to bring my new 21fbrs home to missouri. we went up and paid for it last weekend, but the weather was to bad to bring it home. we ordered it just the way we wanted it and got a one hour indoor walk through. i really picked it apart, and as far as the appearance went, it was flawless. i can't wait to get it home thursday and move all of our crap out of our other camper in. i had a trade in deal made on a rockford here in mo., but it fell through, so now i have a 2013 skyline to sell. i tell my friends it's our guest camper.
wpredock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #20

Sparky & Doc - Congrats! Although we bought ours late in the summer, we've had it out several times. I still think it's near perfect for one or two people.

But , as Sparky notes, there is no perfect RV. The shower is a little tight (but doable) and the floors feel a little soft for my 235 lbs. The wobbling in the slide also makes me nervous every time I put it in or out, but I'll take it over the more stable hydraulic slide any day. (A blown line and stuck slide on a Coach House I owned left me vowing to never own another RV with a hydraulic slide.)

These minor issues pale in comparison to the long list of pluses with this little trailer. In addition to its other virtues, I discovered that the Silverado will tow it without using the tow mode because it's so light. (Ah . . . the things I learn when I get around to reading a manual.) Gas mileage improved 10-15% with that little discovery. I'm chafing for Spring so we can take it out again.