Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #1

New ML23FB

We picked up our new (and first ever anything TT) ML23FB Saturday 3/19.
After doing lots of reading and searching on this and many forums we came into our PDI ready and with me nervous and expecting the worst of everything and the world coming to an end
Not knowing a good dealer from a bad dealer, or having any clue about a WDH and sway control... I was a wreck, my wife on the other hand... all smiles and eager to go!
Being our first ever trailer I wanted to have some piece of mind in buying with a local dealer so if I had a problem or question they would be close by and will hopefully solve any issue that may arise.
Our dealer is 10 minutes from our house and they have been in business for over 60-years so I figured they cant be all that bad and survived all those years if they were horrible.
Obviously, we will wait and see how the dealer works out in the long run, but in the short time we have dealt with them things have gone pretty well.
Only hang up today on picking up the trailer was the wait having the brake control installed, the service tech ran into a problem on the vehicle they brought in before mine and held us up for over 2-hours.
But once they did bring my truck in he had it done in about 30-minutes and we were off to learn how to hitch up our new trailer!
Earlier we went through our PDI with another tech, a young kid actually, and I was expecting the worst.. but actually, we thought he did a great job.
He showed us everything, and most things twice.
Answered all our questions and let us take our time going over everything without rushing or not having an answer.
I have to say IMO the dealer did a great job in prepping the trailer, they had all the water lines blown out. Had all the vent ducts cleaned out of all the left over construction debris, and even informed us before we started that one of our blinds has a bend in it and they already have a new one on order for us.
We found everything working as it should, from the HVAC, fridge, stove, cook top, TV and stereo.. everything worked, even the heated mattress!
When our truck was ready the same kid showed me how to setup the WDH and sway control. Let me move the WDH around to show me the difference one or two links makes and what to look for when making the adjustments.
For a dummy like me, it really seemed pretty easy... now I just have to remember it!
So this part, the PDI and learning the WDH went well.. I will wait until later on today to post about my first time ever towing a trailer!
Until then, here is what the rig looks like!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Congratulations. Looks great.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Congrats on your great looking camper!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

So about this whole towing thing...
I really need practice to get comfortable with it, mind you I have never towed anything in my life.
I also have major OCD(?) issues!!!
Even without towing a trailer I can tell everything that is going on in my (2) trucks that I own.
I can feel the slightest vibrations, I can tell just by looking at a tire if its low, and if a vehicle needs a alignment it drives me crazy.. needless to say all my vehicles have stellar service records and I keep my mechanic happy... he also bought a 47' sail boat a few years ago that I know I contributed generously too.
So with my head working like that I can tell you I felt every pebble, bump, shake, squeak, rattle, pop, thump.. you name it, I can tell you when and were it happened on our short 10-minute tow ride home from the dealer!
I don't know how people can say they can't tell there trailer is behind them!
Now, besides my personal issues I can say that my truck even though equipped with the small 4.7L V8 had plenty of power to tow the trailer with.
Switching the transmission to Tow/Haul mode worked well and it was a noticeable difference in shift points.
All that was fine, even normal towing down side streets, busy city streets, and the short bit of highway that I jumped up on just to see how it did towing at 60mph.
No big shakes or sense of being blown all over the road.. just a much more noticeable bouncy ride.
Don't know if that is normal, or just me being me and noticing every movement the truck made while towing.
I can say the RAM 1500 not towing anything is one of the smoothest vehicles I have ever driven.
My real issue is backing this thing up!
We even went to a empty parking lot to practice for a while, and while that helps it still doesn't compare to the real test of backing this rig into a spot that is surrounded by real obstacles!
The incredible blind spots, and the not knowing how close the back of my truck was getting to the trailer while turning going backwards was enough to stress me out for the rest of the day.. it took me hours to relax after just trying to back it into my yard with 3-people trying to guide me!
I am sure I will get better at it, its just a new learning experience for me. And not knowing what my truck is supposed to feel like while towing something really drove me crazy yesterday.
Everything could be normal, I don't know, it could all be me.. I may never know, see what I mean!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #5

In backing: G.O.A.L., Get Out And Look.
Use spotters whenever possible.
Two-way radios are helpful.

Tags
23fb