Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

New Thermostat Dilemna

Just installed a new digital thermostat. Everything works BUT, when the furnace is running, the rooftop blower runs as well. When on Heat Mode, the blower runs until the thermostat clicks at the set temp and it goes off. This did not happen with the original analog Tstat. The furnace still runs for a couple more minutes to blow out the "excess", then cuts off. I have the blower hooked to the Tstat with the low fan speed wire. I did not opt to hook up a separate switch to be able to have both hi/lo fan speed. The RED wire is in the RC terminal. I have moved it to the R terminal with no change in the situation. Since it has a jumper wire, I don't think it matters which one it is in. Attached is a pic of how I have the wires connected to the Honeywell Tstat. Anybody have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	43853  

Old 12-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #2

Did you see this post? Replace Dometic with Honeywell Thermostat

Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #3

Does your thermostat has an "auto" setting? If yes put on auto instead of high/low setting and hopefully that works....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

Didn't see this one but have seen everything on the internet. Called Honeywell Technical Assistance but they were about as helpful as.....well, I'll be nice and say they couldn't understand what I was saying.

This is what I have gathered:

Red-Hot
Yellow-AC Compressor
White-Furnace
Blue-Ground
Green-High Speed Blower
Gray-Low Speed Blower

The Blue wire is not needed to ground the tstat. And I don't need high speed blower. Unless my colors may mean something different than what I stated above.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Does your thermostat has an "auto" setting? If yes put on auto instead of high/low setting and hopefully that works....
When the furnace is running, the fan is in the Auto setting. There is no difference if switched to ON, other than(haven't noticed) it will run after the furnace kicks off.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Jack of All Trades

Check your setup. There should be a switch (physical or software) that controls the fan, two modes, furnace controls fan or thermostat controls fan. You want the first option

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
Check your setup. There should be a switch (physical or software) that controls the fan, two modes, furnace controls fan or thermostat controls fan. You want the first option

Rick
I guess I don't really understand what you are referring to. The fan switch is on AUTO. But the fan should not be on when the furnace is on. If cold air were not blowing around, it might be a good idea to circulate the air.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
Check your setup. There should be a switch (physical or software) that controls the fan, two modes, furnace controls fan or thermostat controls fan. You want the first option Rick
I believe RJ is referring to the t-stat setup instructions. You may have already done it..but un-jump r to rh. May not help, but it won't hurt.
In a typical HVAC system the fan is controlled by the stat on a normally open relay...on the heat the fan (used to be) controlled by a normally closed relay contact...in other words the heating blower was fail safe to auto run on heat on mode. I have to wonder if the "Walmart" stats are made for split(most RV) a/c and heat systems. I see posts where they are installed....I will be honest. I have installed plenty of stats and I would have read and study the diagram for wiring and comparability.
PS: stay away from hunter stats. They used to be fail to heat on when the cheaper digital stats went out. Translated... You come back in and it's a 100 deg. cause it failed to heat on. I have replaced several of these for that.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #9

The site I tried to send you to was on the Forest River Forum I saw right after I looked at your delema. He did exactly what you're trying to do. It's similiar to a setup I configured on my older Prowler 5vr when I had to replace an old broken Coleman thermostat with a digital Honeywell unit. It worked perfect. If you go to the site he says: red- cap off, yellow to cool, brown/blue to green high speed fan, white to furnace, green to rc/rh, orange cap off.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #10

I've tried so many combinations(that didn't work or do anything) that I'm happy that at least things are working (almost) correctly. I don't have a brown or an orange wire, see one of my previous posts. I was hoping somebody has had the same "problem" I am having. I've fired off an email to Forest River to get their take on what's going on. My dealer wouldn't give me any info since I was doing the work myself.

Tags
thermostat