Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #1

New to trailer camping

Hi all, this forum looks great.

Retiring in 3 weeks and buying a new camper, hopefully a Flagstaff 25ks with the Murphy bed. Our first.

The on-line information on features and options is a little confusing, since "select floor plans" appears quite a bit. I have been advised to get the largest AC available. Any opinions on 13,500 BTU vs. 15,000 and does ducted air help? And do heated holding tanks offer any useful advantages?

Thanks for any possible advice on these or any other topics.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum.

If you can afford it and live in hot humid climate get the 15k the cheapest time to do it is when you order it.

Heated tanks are not worth the money unless your camping through winter and even then I'd be leary that they'd help much unless the temp rarely dips below 25 degrees.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Welcome from Arkansas. Enjoy!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #4

Greetings and welcome to FRF from SW Idaho.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #5

The 15k is a good option and the ducted air seems quieter...well, to me it does. I passed on the heated tanks myself. The difference pretty much paid for the A/C upgrade. The options list can be a little confusing as some things are listed twice (standard on certain models and optional on others). If it says "29 burner nuclear powered cooktop (n/a on 25ks)" for instance under standard options, it will probably list it as an optional item (on select floorplans).
Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming retirement. Going on my 4th year of retirement and enjoying every minute of it. 15K AC gets a yes vote from me too. As for the heated holding tanks that depends on if you're planning on camping in real cold weather.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #7

Make sure your tow vehicle is large enough.....don t make do with what you may have....research this board for sales people will tell you that you can pull it when you should not....make sure you look at GCWR of your vehicle....try and be 1000lbs under that weight when you trailer is loaded....weigh your rig.....drive slow.....
best of luck

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #8

welcome from Texas to the RV world.
dbld6210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

The 15K will not run as long or as hard in very hot locations. It will also cool down your trailer a bit faster. I have a 21FBRS with a 13.5K which is plenty for an 18" TT.
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Incheon, S. Korea

Welcome and I liked the ducted air on our rental MH. I got the ends cooler faster. It is a LOT quieter! Floorplans are the most important thing. Everything else can (will?) be changed over time to your liking.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

Very nice camper! Ducted A/C is the way to go, for sure. It will allow you to shut the door to the bathroom and still get it cooled. With a 25 foot TT, I'd go with the 15k unit (it's what I have in mine), but your floorplan is so open that a 13.5k unit would work as well. It really comes down to where you intend to be most of the time. In fact, the usefulness of most of those options would be determined by where you intend to camp most often. Of course, if you got all the options available, you'd have quite the four seasons camper, too. Keep in mind that many options add weight. The specs indicate this is easily towed with a half ton, but you can quickly reach the limits if you aren't paying attention. Heated tanks can go a long way to relieving stress if you are camping in freezing weather.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
The on-line information on features and options is a little confusing, since "select floor plans" appears quite a bit. I have been advised to get the largest AC available. Any opinions on 13,500 BTU vs. 15,000 and does ducted air help? And do heated holding tanks offer any useful advantages?
Purchase in haste and repent at leisure.

Now is the time to get the facts and buy the best trailer you can afford rather than not get something and want to add it later. In order to get meaningful advice you need to tell more about what your intended usage is and where you expect to camp. One sage piece of advice l have seen on these Internet fora is to buy your second RV first.

Regarding size of a/c, consider whether or not you will be camping in 95°F and high humidity and if so then get the larger unit. Ducted a/c is both quieter and more efficient. l live and frequently camp in Texas where it can get below freezing. for me heated holding tanks is a must and is easier to get from the factory than installed after.

Each person's needs are different and what would work for you may not work for someone else to remember that when considering the responses. 😊
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, trailer