Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 05:26 AM   #1

New Truck - New Trailer

Recently purchased a Flagstaff 27RLWS and prior to that a new F150 3.5 Ecoboost Screw Max Tow. It started with having to put my GMC 2500 out of its misery due to a multitude of undercarriage rust issues ending with the carrier bearing support separating from the frame. Wanted a F250 but DW has had 2 spinal surgeries in 4 years and this is her daily driver. This is the Third Forest River product in a row out of 5 trailers we have had. First was a Work & Play that we had that was stickered at 10000# but was really 13200#. Also lost 100# of tongue weight for every 300# in garage. It also leaked like a sieve at the slide. Forest River bought it back and built us a 2009 Salem LA 292 FKSS which we had until now. It sat in a seasonal site for 4 years and just recently pulled it out and started traveling again. Retirement is about 3 years away and have been cruising the web looking at motorhomes and trailers towards that end. Came upon Rockwoods version of this unit and was similar to Lacrosse floorplan but smaller and more geared to a 1/2 ton. Found one 60 miles away but a Flagstaff. DW and I went to look and needless to say were impressed with living space and storage as we will eventually be on the road for months at a time. Bought it that day and picked it up 10 days later as I had to work straight through. Did a 4 hour PDI and hitch install according to my specs. Had a problem with the brakes not being aggressive enough. Took it for a long ride with the tech and they gradually improved which I attribute to the Dexter NEVRJUST brakes setting themselves as I drove and continued to improve on the ride home. Trailer handled really well on a combination of roads and the truck had plenty of power to move it. Have spent 3 nites in it driveway camping and in 1 week go for a week on a 100 mile roundtrip and then 2 weeks later a 400 mile round trip to Cape May N.J for a week to shake it down. Seems like thought was put into being user friendly, such as running A/C ducts on both the strong and weak side of the output the length of the trailer to facilitate even cooling and even light placement where it actually does the most good. So far we are pretty impressed and hope it will be as solid as our Salem was for us.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori&Jocelyn
dougk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #2

Congrats on all the new hardware! We, too have new hardware: Flagstaff 26RLWS and a 2014 F-150 EB. We, too feel that the EB engine has sufficient power and the truck has sufficient tow capacity.

Enjoy!!
2015 Flagstaff 26RLWS
Equal-i-zer 1000/10,000
mlarryeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Congrats on the new travel gear! Wishing you much continued success!
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck