Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gruene, TX.
Posts: 343
New V-Lite 26WRB

Signed papers yesterday; we'll pick it up next Friday prior to a Labor Day shake down cruise to Bastrop, TX.

Any 26WRB owners with experiences/thoughts or advice?
__________________

__________________
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
BradinOhio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 111
Congrats on your new TT and welcome to the V-Lite family!
__________________

__________________
Brad, Sandy, Amber (shephard), Niko (shiba inu RIP little buddy)

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
wv campers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 189
Congratulations on the new camper. We have a 28vbh V-Cross. Our 2nd season with it and love it. Knock on wood we have not had any issues with it.
wv campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gruene, TX.
Posts: 343
Smile

Thanks, good folks, for the welcomes and info. Something about that V-Lite kept us coming back time and again as we researched and walked through nearly every TT in Texas!
__________________
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
CampingQueen
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 199
Congrats on the new TT. We just upgraded from our Flagstaff popup High-wall 27SC (which we loved) to a v-lite 30wtbs (which we love even better!) Hope you have safe travels and many happy nights of camping!
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Member
 
WWTTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 66
Smile

Congratulations on the new V Lite! We got our W30FKSS V Lite last winter and have used it @ 72 nights so far this year and traveled through 9 states...all I can say about the V Lite so far is....Love it!!! I'm sure you will love yours as well! Wishing you safe travels and enjoyable camping!
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gruene, TX.
Posts: 343
Thank you arle453 and WWTTA. Nice to hear from other V-lite owners. How would you describe the V-nose towing experience?
__________________
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Member
 
WWTTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 66
We are pulling a 30 foot, front kitchen V Lite, so it is heavy on the hitch. Our TV is a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi with tow haul package and electrical anti-sway option, with a long wheel base due to crew cab. It's rated at 10,000 pounds. We also have AirLift air bags in the rear coils. We use a Reese hitch, sway bars and weight distribution bars. We are just under our weight limit. We do have to watch speed for sway if there is too much fluid in the rear tanks and we do sometimes feel semi's passing. This spring we pulled the rig on highways, expressways, and some horrible roads, through southwest hill country, mountains, high desert, low desert, San Bernadino Mountains, Cascade Mountains, Olympia Mountains, Rocky Mountains, the great plains and prairies of the midwest. We never had to use a truck pull over and never had to stop for weather. We traveled through calm, sunny, windy, misty, rainy and stormy weather...sometimes all in the same day. Our gas mileage is only fair, but consistent with what we expected with this size TV. Our biggest problems with handling have been pulling through some gas islands and parking, as this trailer is 10 feet longer (and 20 years later) than our last trailer. The wife does not like driving this size rig, but drove through windy high desert, plains and prairie with no problems. We don't know it will handle down south this winter, but hope it will do as well as it did last spring across the southwest and up the pacific to northwest, and back. With proper set up, your rig and tow vehicle should perform well together. Let us know how you do!!!

Gary & Constance + Sir Scamp (Poochon) & His Phoebe (Bichpoo)
WWTTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Capsfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lancaster TX
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWTTA
We are pulling a 30 foot, front kitchen V Lite, so it is heavy on the hitch. Our TV is a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi with tow haul package and electrical anti-sway option, with a long wheel base due to crew cab. It's rated at 10,000 pounds. We also have AirLift air bags in the rear coils. We use a Reese hitch, sway bars and weight distribution bars. We are just under our weight limit. We do have to watch speed for sway if there is too much fluid in the rear tanks and we do sometimes feel semi's passing. This spring we pulled the rig on highways, expressways, and some horrible roads, through southwest hill country, mountains, high desert, low desert, San Bernadino Mountains, Cascade Mountains, Olympia Mountains, Rocky Mountains, the great plains and prairies of the midwest. We never had to use a truck pull over and never had to stop for weather. We traveled through calm, sunny, windy, misty, rainy and stormy weather...sometimes all in the same day. Our gas mileage is only fair, but consistent with what we expected with this size TV. Our biggest problems with handling have been pulling through some gas islands and parking, as this trailer is 10 feet longer (and 20 years later) than our last trailer. The wife does not like driving this size rig, but drove through windy high desert, plains and prairie with no problems. We don't know it will handle down south this winter, but hope it will do as well as it did last spring across the southwest and up the pacific to northwest, and back. With proper set up, your rig and tow vehicle should perform well together. Let us know how you do!!!

Gary & Constance + Sir Scamp (Poochon) & His Phoebe (Bichpoo)
I have the 09 rambox. Crew can 2 wheel dr
I ordered the air lift 1000 this week
Pull 2012 831 RKSS. Flagstaff , want to see the difference those will make ?
__________________
2009 Rambox crew cab
2012 831 Flagstaff RKSS
2010 jeep Liberty
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gruene, TX.
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWTTA View Post
We are pulling a 30 foot, front kitchen V Lite, so it is heavy on the hitch. Our TV is a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi with tow haul package and electrical anti-sway option, with a long wheel base due to crew cab. It's rated at 10,000 pounds. We also have AirLift air bags in the rear coils. We use a Reese hitch, sway bars and weight distribution bars. We are just under our weight limit. We do have to watch speed for sway if there is too much fluid in the rear tanks and we do sometimes feel semi's passing. This spring we pulled the rig on highways, expressways, and some horrible roads, through southwest hill country, mountains, high desert, low desert, San Bernadino Mountains, Cascade Mountains, Olympia Mountains, Rocky Mountains, the great plains and prairies of the midwest. We never had to use a truck pull over and never had to stop for weather. We traveled through calm, sunny, windy, misty, rainy and stormy weather...sometimes all in the same day. Our gas mileage is only fair, but consistent with what we expected with this size TV. Our biggest problems with handling have been pulling through some gas islands and parking, as this trailer is 10 feet longer (and 20 years later) than our last trailer. The wife does not like driving this size rig, but drove through windy high desert, plains and prairie with no problems. We don't know it will handle down south this winter, but hope it will do as well as it did last spring across the southwest and up the pacific to northwest, and back. With proper set up, your rig and tow vehicle should perform well together. Let us know how you do!!!

Gary & Constance + Sir Scamp (Poochon) & His Phoebe (Bichpoo)
Nice tips; thanks again! Looking forward to our maiden shake down cruise this weekend. We'll pick the TT up Friday morning following the initial 3-hour inspection/orientation, then head east about 40 miles to a campground near Bastrop, TX. The return trip home on Monday is around 80 miles. We'll get to stay on good secondary roads and off the Interstate highways for most of the trip. That may make it a bit easier on the knuckles this first go 'round... We'll post a post-outing report next week. Have a great labor Day weekend!
__________________
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
CampingQueen
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 199
Have a great trip - it's so exciting to take it out for the first time! I know you will love it!

We are pulling our V-lite 30WTBS with a 2011 Expedition with the upgraded tow package. It's rated for 9200lb towing. Our TT is around 7,000 lbs loaded, plus we have a car load of people. My goal is to keep the TT under 7,500 lbs to keep from maxing out the TV.

We took our baby for the first trip up through the mtns from NC to Gettysburg PA area. The Expedition towed it like a champ all up the hills and down with no problems. I do all the driving since my husband won't drive with the TT hitched up, and I get horribly motion sick when I ride anyway. It was a little 'white knuckled' for the first couple of hours until I got comfortable with the extra size and weight, but it didn't take long to get relaxed with it.

The only time we felt any significant pull/sway was when we ran into a thunderstorm with some pretty high winds. I just slowed down and took it easy until we got through the windy area.

Safe travels and be sure to let us know how it goes!
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Congratulations on the V Lite 26WRB. We got ours last year in the DFW area and have really enjoyed it. We love the layout and find it very comfortable for the two of us. We are so fortunate here in Texas to have a great state park system and we are heading out again this weekend. We'll look for other V noses but rarely see any. Enjoy your maiden voyage!
dandsmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gruene, TX.
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsmcd View Post
Congratulations on the V Lite 26WRB. We got ours last year in the DFW area and have really enjoyed it. We love the layout and find it very comfortable for the two of us. We are so fortunate here in Texas to have a great state park system and we are heading out again this weekend. We'll look for other V noses but rarely see any. Enjoy your maiden voyage!
Thanks for the post dandsmcd. Do you own the 26WRB? I've been all over the web seeking reviews on it, but have yet to find anyone who owns one... Looking forward to picking it up on Friday and heading out to Bastrop for the maiden voyage.

Also from Texas. We live near Canyon Lake midway between San Antonio and Austin. Where are ya'll from?

Best...
Ken sends
__________________
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
Just a member
 
kandl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cool Pool, AB
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfloyd View Post
I ordered the air lift 1000 this week
Pull 2012 831 RKSS. Flagstaff , want to see the difference those will make ?
The Air Lifts will be a sea change for you. We're typically just shy of 800 lbs on the ball and run the bags at about 22 psi. They work really well.
__________________
K&L + the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2019 Dodge Ram 3500

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
We live west of Ft. Worth. We bought our V-Lite last July and our only regret is that as we are still working we don't have enough time to spend on it! No real problems or issues with ours. It took us a couple of outings to feel comfortable with hitching up and towing and we like to stay off the interstates when possible just because we prefer the scenic routes. Let is know if we can help with questions etc. Make notes during the orientation because you get a lot of info in a short time and then when you are on your own you don't necessarily remember what they told you! Good luck and maybe our paths will cross.
Sue
dandsmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gruene, TX.
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsmcd View Post
We live west of Ft. Worth. We bought our V-Lite last July and our only regret is that as we are still working we don't have enough time to spend on it! No real problems or issues with ours. It took us a couple of outings to feel comfortable with hitching up and towing and we like to stay off the interstates when possible just because we prefer the scenic routes. Let is know if we can help with questions etc. Make notes during the orientation because you get a lot of info in a short time and then when you are on your own you don't necessarily remember what they told you! Good luck and maybe our paths will cross.
Sue
Thank you again. We also prefer the back/FM roads. Is your tow vehicle 1/2 ton?

If you get to the Hill Country, plese let us know. Lots to do and eat around here!

Ken and Pam send
__________________
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Yes, we tow with 1/2 ton without problems. We try to be mindful of how much weight we add to the TT and on some of the steeper hills we may be a little slower than those behind us might like! No real advantage to the V nose as related to gas mileage in our experience, however the added room in the couch area and convenience of location of entertainment center sold us on this floor plan. I opted for the extension leaf for the kitchen counter and really like that, although I don't usually set it up for short trips and manage just fine. We have a son in Austin so get down that way now and then as we like Inks Lake SP a lot.
dandsmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gruene, TX.
Posts: 343
Shake Down Cruise Complete

The PDI went well and we were in and out of the dealership in about three hours. We experienced some mild sway on the way to the campground last Friday, but once there the setup went without a hitch (so to speak)... 100+ degree days kept us inside the TT more than we would have liked, but all-in-all a good experience. More sway on the return trip, but I believe we may have been responsible as we packed more in the rear slide through storage area than we should have. Back to the dealer tomorrow to fix some minor inconveniences (no cable/satellite TV reception). Fortunately the HD antenna brought in several channels and camping isn't about TV anyway except when there's a big football game to view!!
__________________
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
The PDI went well and we were in and out of the dealership in about three hours. We experienced some mild sway on the way to the campground last Friday, but once there the setup went without a hitch (so to speak)... 100+ degree days kept us inside the TT more than we would have liked, but all-in-all a good experience. More sway on the return trip, but I believe we may have been responsible as we packed more in the rear slide through storage area than we should have. Back to the dealer tomorrow to fix some minor inconveniences (no cable/satellite TV reception). Fortunately the HD antenna brought in several channels and camping isn't about TV anyway except when there's a big football game to view!!
You need to get that sway looked at.
__________________

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Jestercyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 465
Scratch,
Sounds like you had a good trip. Be sure to get the WHD correct. It took a little adjusting to get mine to where it works very good. Just cam back from a 4400 mile trip with no issues towing. Congrats on the new TT.
Happy Camping!!

Jester
__________________

__________________

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


×