Old 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #51

Serge, mine are at near 0 degrees fully loaded. You say yours are at 90 degrees meaning straight up and down???

Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Mkayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #52

Mkayer. Mine are 90 degrees from verticle. They are parrallel to the trailer
__________trailer________________________________
__________torion arm______________________________________-
should be 22.5 degrees from verticle. 90 degrees full loaded. The trailer is not loaded and they are at 90 degrees or full load configeration. Don't know how much more suspention travel there is available. Serge

Mac rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #53

Mac rv - my torsion arms are at 0deg or parallel with the trailer. I saw that post stating 22.5deg and it refferenced Dexter Axles. Im not sure if it applies I know at least on my camper I have Dexter Axles and Al Kor (or something like that) Torsion arms. I questioned my dealer on it and he said when he had the torsion arms apart for inspection all was good. He asked FR about it and they said its not an issue.
ZPARTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #54

I had axles that I thought had failed because the tires were rubbing on the fender wells. FR replaced the axles. The new axles have a 22 degree down angle unloaded. With the empty weight of the trailer on them they are almost horizontal (0 degrees). I talked with a technical representative from Dexter and was told this is normal. The axle should be 0 degrees when fully loaded (4000 pounds per axle).

The problem that I had was no tire clearance. I believe that was caused by the wrong axle bracket installed on the trailer. Dexter has 3 bracket sizes for my axle. I must have originally had the low bracket which provided little clearance. I now have an axle with the tallest bracket which provides much more clearance. Dexter recommends a minimum of 3 inches for bump clearance to allow for flex when going down the road.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #55
Alleged curmudgeon

Good post (I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
I had axles that I thought had failed because the tires were rubbing on the fender wells. FR replaced the axles. The new axles have a 22 degree down angle unloaded. With the empty weight of the trailer on them they are almost horizontal (0 degrees). I talked with a technical representative from Dexter and was told this is normal. The axle should be 0 degrees when fully loaded (4000 pounds per axle).

The problem that I had was no tire clearance. I believe that was caused by the wrong axle bracket installed on the trailer. Dexter has 3 bracket sizes for my axle. I must have originally had the low bracket which provided little clearance. I now have an axle with the tallest bracket which provides much more clearance. Dexter recommends a minimum of 3 inches for bump clearance to allow for flex when going down the road.
I believe this sheds light on some misunderstandings which I've seen repeatedly on several threads here and which were starting to cost me sleep.

It seems that some posters seem to think they are supposed to have the "22 degrees down" when their trailer does not contain their adult beverages and house slippers. However, would not "loaded" (4000 lbs per axle) include the "load" of the "empty trailer weight" which Windjammin has referenced (which is likely 80 to 90 percent of the 4000 lbs for most of us)? If so, then the description "fully loaded" would include the empty trailer weight, PLUS our adult beverages and house slippers. If so, a nearly horizontal torsion axle arm (close to zero degrees, aka parallel to the ground) is probably normal for most of us as the TT sits in the driveway, right?

Against that backdrop, the clearance issue is be better understood as an axle installation issue, as suggested by Windjammin here, which would explain how the addition of manufacturer engineered spacing brackets or lift kits might be the required and appropriate fix. I have the Al-Ko torsion axles, not the Dexters discussed in most of these threads, but am similarly concerned about what appears to be inadequate clearance margins on my own trailer (although there has been no "rub" in my case yet).

Help! I need someone to save me from myself, so please critique!
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #56

That's exactly what I was thinking with mine. I have traveled around 5000 miles with mine at about 1-1/2" clearance and never rubbed. I don't think it's sagging or fatiguing, I think it was an installation bracket issue.
Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Old 09-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #57
Alleged curmudgeon

Exactly, Marty. Seems there should be someone who really KNOWS this stuff that can verify that we are understanding this correctly, so that we know what to present to either the dealer or the factory on this. I don't want to start an uprising, as some have suggested, and I don't think there is a vast conspiracy to stick us with screwed up axles, but if my tire/wheel well clearance is supposed to be more than the 1 1/2 inches (max) which I now have, then I want it right. I plan on this rig operating safely for many years to come and, while I understand I will have plenty of maintenance and repair costs ahead, I am not made of money and do not want to overlook something now which should rightly be corrected at no cost by FR. Do you have the Dexter axles, or the Al-Ko axles?
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #58

I have the Dexter axles on mine
Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post

Windjammin,

After FR replaced the axles, how much clearance did you have between the top of the tires and the plastic liner in the wheel housing?

My 2014 Windjammer went to the dealer today, and they have already ordered a set of brackets from FR to install between the axles and the frame. They said they had not heard of a problem like that until about a week ago, when the first one came back to their shop. Now mine makes #2 at that dealership. But they recognize that it isn't right and promised to get right on it.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #60

Hello Zparty. I would recomend that you get that info in writing. According to Dexters own manual this is not correct unless the trailer is fully loaded. Serge

Mac rv is offline   Reply With Quote